“A shot by any other name...” 2 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: British, Soups
Dining options: Seating
Dining options: Seating
New Zealand
“A shot by any other name...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

Be careful when ordering drinks here such as Bicardi & Coke, or Vodka and Sprite etc, as the bartenders are using 15ml (1/2 oz) NIP POURERS (which is half a shot). Paying for a double, will get you a single shot. We actually asked our bartender shouldn't a double shot be 4 of these? and they said "No, we just use one of these for a shot" and did not correct the drink.... The standard everywhere is a full shot, 30ml. When I buy a drink I expect a full shot. It's not advertised you are only getting half a shot. I am sure many do not or have not questioned this as the 30ml shot pourers look exactly like the 15ml shot pourers. But one sip of a 'double drink' here and you know that there is no way there it is a true double. Next time, I will ask for my drink to be made with a shot glass. I am curious if anyone else has noticed this problem. It's not just here, it seems to happen at the Race Course too. A SHOT IS 30ML!!!!

• Visited December 2012

Wanganui, Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand
“Great Burgers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

Caroline's might rock a lot, and be rather loud at times, however, we pop in for a late afternoon lunch when there aren't too many customers and get an awesome hamburger (many to choose from). Huge meals - I can never finish mine! Nice glass of wine and really good coffee.

• Visited April 2013
Wanganui, New Zealand
“For the young ones, but not for me!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

As my husband and I meandered down the streets of Whanganui in Jan 2013, we heard the roarity and boisterous going's-on's at Caroline's Celtic. Overflowing with young teens, pounding rock music, the odd "cougar", and so crowded it took 20 mins to get a drink, only for it to be knocked out of your hand, by a bounding and drunk teenage boy. Ours adult daughters would love it, but not for me!!

Visited January 2013
Christchurch, New Zealand
“a good average and well worth sampling”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

Had dinner here with my son and we were both tired and hungry. It is not the most attractive restaurant in town as you walk through the open air smokers section to get to the back of the bar / restaurant. However, the staff are pleased to see you, their friendly and make the difference. Happy to chat about the menu and make personal recommendations. Seafood basket ordered by my son would have fed 2 people.....however being a 16 year old rower he was more than pleased and considered the portion size just right. Quality of the food was good also. even though it was mostly fried, it was crispy, not greasy and tasty. It really has the atmosphere of a good local bar full of various characters and a relaxed place to eat, read the papers and magazines provided.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
“Steak over cooked - run down overall and staff comments were interesting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

We had been here a few years ago so thought we would give it a go. Drink prices good. Menus in dire need of a physical revamp - dirty, stuck together due to stickiness and were ripped and torn. I asked a waiteress what the soup of the day was - she said tomato, but its not that great as it is out of a packet!. I ordered steak and asked for medium rare - got well done instead. Husband ordered a burger which was alright. Restaurant is run down and needs a bit of work. I would go to other places before this one.

• Visited March 2013