“Great place to stay in. Warm hospitality”
Review of 42b College House

42b College House
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed there for one night only. As soon as I arrived in, the owner, Matte, gave me a brief on the area and all attractions around. The place has a well equipped kitchen (industrial level!), so very recommended if you are looking for a place that you can cook whatever you want. They also having a BBQ nights sometimes which is very nice.
Matte even helped me to send a package (a piece of wood I've found on the beach) to my home, so I bet that will help you with whatever you may be needed.

• Stayed: January 2014

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We visited Wanganui over the Easter weekend and stayed in the family room of 42b College House. The hosts are very friendly and go the extra mile to provide superior service. The amenities are clean and rooms are spacious. The kitchen is well equipped. It has a nice garden with chicken, dogs (locked away in case someone like our kid is scared about dogs) and even a deer fawn. Matt and Verena are very kind, honest and super helpful hosts.
The hostel is in walking distance to everything you need, from fast food to super market, or even the Wanganui river and it's playground areas (15 min walk).

I highly recommend this hostel/backpacker and will visit definetly again.

Thomas and family from Wellington / NZ

Room Tip: We'd recommend the rooms for families (I believe at least two big rooms are for families). If yo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Unfortunately we were just stopping for one night on our travel from the south to Hamilton. I deeply regret that I didn't spend a few more nights in this hostel - it is simply great! The German owner is extremely friendly, he upgraded our room and stayed up for us (due to delay of ferry we came after opening hours of the reception). The hostel is clean, has a well equipped kitchen, a great lounge and probably heaps of things we couldn't even discover on our short stay. What we did discover was Bella, a pet-deer in the backyard. If you go to Wanganui, this is the place where you should stay!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2014

have not words to describe this wonderful place, congratiulations the best kitchen between all of hostel I have been in New Zealand
A value-for-money accommodation with excellent hospitality from both hosts. They are always ready to lend a helping hand. Rooms are very nice and clean. Although we were only staying for one night, owner showed us around the place in great detail Note:10

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Claudiobadboy465
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I only stayed for one night (stopover) in the dorm. The room and the beds were clean (I've a house dust mite allergy). The kitchen is with its facilities really unique. The community room has a good tv and a table tennis. The location of the hostel is in comparison to other hostels in the town definitely the best!
Furthermore the owner is really friendly and helpful.
He even drove me to a good spot to hitchhike.
Just recommendable

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 2 March 2014

A value-for-money accommodation with excellent hospitality from both hosts. They are always ready to lend a helping hand. Rooms are simple but clean. Although we were only staying for one night, Matt showed us around the place in great detail and even introduced us to the chickens and deer in the backyard. He even went out of the way and gave us two girls a ride to the bus station with our heavy suitcases when we left. A very nice gesture from the host!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I highly recommend this hostel. The hostel was well-equipped and spacious, but the host, Matt, really went above and beyond expectations. Not only was he friendly and welcoming, and provided me with a first aid kit to bandage an injured knee, but when I forgot my kindle at the hostel, he promptly mailed it, free of charge. Really worth a visit.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo