“The classic good quality kiwi breakfast in Ireland?Wanganui..”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Rutland Arms

Rutland Arms
Ranked #4 of 89 Restaurants in Whanganui
Cuisines: Bar, European, Pub, New Zealand
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Cheap Eats, Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wanganui, New Zealand
“The classic good quality kiwi breakfast in Ireland?Wanganui..”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We enjoyed a hearty kiwi breakfast at the Rutland Arms. My 14 year old son devoured the Rutland breakfast being 2 of everything - your bacon, eggs, mushrooms, toast and a creamy hot chocolate to boot. The rest of the party of 5, chose a range of eggs benedict, high quality sausages, more bacon and mushrooms. Always delightful service in a tranquil irish pub setting - that oozes calm and relaxing atmosphere.

• Visited May 2013
rutlandarms, Owner at Rutland Arms, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Dear Tracy,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review! We are delighted to hear how much you and your party enjoyed your breakfast with us. This review will go up on our staff notice board for all of our team to see that their hard work is appreciated. We hope to start your morning off right with a great Rutland breakie again soon!

Jennifer Gilbertson

Whanganui, New Zealand
“Good Irish pub”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

If you want a good Irish pub lunch then this is where you go. Nothing flash but good value & the food is what you'd expect from a pub

Visited February 2013
rutlandarms, Owner at Rutland Arms, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Dear Grunta99,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Rutland Arms. We are pleased to hear that you enjoy your Rutland lunches and appreciate there good value. I see that you are a Wanganui person, so I hope we get the opportunity to host you again, and maybe for dinner or breakfast too!

Whanganui, New Zealand
“splendid”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Excellent hospitality, great food,great service.family functions catered for.awesome seating cubicles.a must for locals or tourists. Will certainly be returning to the Rutland .

• Visited April 2013
rutlandarms, Owner at Rutland Arms, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Dear Stephen,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review of the Rutland Arms. We were delighted to see that you are local to Wanganui, so we hope you will get the opportunity to host you again.

We try to instil in our staff, a strong customer service focus and it is always so rewarding to hear that they are achieving it. And of course they love to hear good feedback about the food and service they provide!

Stephen. thanks again for taking the time to review the Rutland.

Kind regards

Adelaide
“Could be the only place to eat if you find yourself in Wanganui on a Sunday”
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Wanganui is quite a laid back town and on Sunday it seems more laid back than usual. Called at the Rutland for a bite of lunch. Lovely beer garden and the pub has an English feel to it whilst adorning the walls wit photo's of ald Wanganui and othe local artifacts. We enjoyed lunch so much we actually went back for Dinner. Service was very friendly and helpful. My wife is gluten and lactose intolerant and our waitress (and chef) went out of her way to arrange a special meal.

Visited March 2013
rutlandarms, Owner at Rutland Arms, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Dear Craig,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you very much for your lovely review of The Rutland Arms during your stay in Wanganui. It was very encouraging to hear that the things that we strive for (great ambience, food and service) were the things you thought we have achieved.
We have put your review up on our staff noticeboard for our team to read - they really enjoy finding out that their hard work has been acknowledged by customers. And especially that you visited us twice in one day!

Thanks again and we hope that you have the opportunity to visit NZ and the Rutland again.

Sydney, Australia
“What the...?”
Reviewed 27 February 2013

My wife and I are from Sydney and were visiting family in Wanganui in November 2012.
We had enjoyed a drink at the town house we were renting, and opted to leave the car and walk to The Rutland Arms.
We ordered a bottle of white wine to have with our entree.
From the time we entered the restaurant and during our entree, we each had sipped a glass and a half of wine each.
As our mains were due and our wine was almost finished, I went to the bar and attempted to order another bottle of wine, therefore pre-empting having to order another once our mains had arrived.
The young, tall and unfriendly bar-man announced:
"I am reluctant to serve you any more alcohol."
I questioned him and he repeated his statement.
I felt the whole restaurant had stopped and was watching.
I stated that I was neither drunk nor driving.
He stood firm.
I told him I would pay for our entree`s (which were average) and the wine, but to cancel our mains.
Needless to say, we were still hungry when we returned home, so I phoned for a taxi to take us to a KFC.
I mentioned our experience to the cab driver (who assured me that I wasn`t drunk), and he kindly drove us to Stellar Restaurant.
We were met by friendly staff, (who also assured us that we weren`t drunk) and thoroughly enjoyed mains, dessert and wine.

The Rutland Arms:
Food: Entree Average.
Service: Have never encountered anything like it... Ever!!!

We are returning to New Zealand this year and won`t bother with this restaurant.

• Visited November 2012
rutlandarms, Owner at Rutland Arms, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Dear Discerning 142,

Thank you for your review of The Rutland Arms. We always appreciate feedback, whether it be positive or negative.

On the evening in question, my Bar Manager contacted myself and my husband to let us know that he had refused alcohol service to a patron and the reasons for this. We were comfortable with his decision and remain so. Obviously, our view as to your conduct on that evening differs from what you have written.

In New Zealand, we are required by law (Sale of Liquor Act 1989) to keep an eye on our customers’ consumption of alcohol and use common sense to ensure they stop being served alcohol if they are showing signs of becoming intoxicated.
Be assured, that we do not make the decision to refuse service lightly - especially given that it means we will not see the potential revenue from that sale. We make no apology for taking our responsibilities to our Liquor License seriously.

We hope you enjoy your return trip to New Zealand.

Regards,