“Family Christmas get together. ”
Review of Rutland Arms

Rutland Arms
Ranked #4 of 90 Restaurants in Whanganui
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
“Family Christmas get together. ”
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Again as returning customers we had chosen to eat at the Rutland arms. This time I wasn't as impressed as my last review.
7 of us went out for dinner for a family get together. As soon as we walked in we were greeted by a smiling man behind the bar, told him of our reservation and was promptly seated. The waiter came over took our order of first drinks.
I had to go to the bar to order our starters and then for the second round of drinks. We finished or starters and he took the order for mains. That's when it went down hill.
Two other tables came in after us and ordered after us but got served, finished and left BEFORE us. We waited for over an hour for our mains- even there was 7 of us we ordered pretty basic things and they had two chefs on. I had to go to the bar to see where our meals were and was told they would be 5 mins.
Personally I ordered a angus pure fillet steak to be cooked medium ( I really don't like the sight of blood on my plate) it came out medium to rear with blood coming out. Not a nice start. I persevered thru it. ( another member of our part wasn't to have exactly the same and it came out exactly like mine ) we wearnt prepared to send it back as we didn't want to wait any longer. The rest of the dish was superb as was our starters and our dessert.
The mains of the others wearnt what they expected either. But I won't review for them.
Other than that it was a great night and a great restaurant and the service was awesome. Even the waitress that took photos for us on our phones was bloody awesome and a real crack up as was the guy that served us our mains - top man!!
The price - we didn't think that $400 odd for 7 of us with starters to share, drinks, mains and dessert was over priced- actually spot on.
Don't let this stop you going - hopefully the chef was just off his game this particular night as it is the first bad experience we have had.

New Zealand
“A pleasant and convivial hostelry”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This corner bar and restaurant in downtown Whanganui is well positioned, serves good food and has a great range of beers and wines. I have enjoyed eating here several times, and recommend it.

Visited September 2013
“Retuning customers.”
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

We eat the the Rutland frequently but haven't written a review untill our experience from last night. Our waitress would have had to be the best we have ever encountered at the Rutland. She knew every drink off the top of her head, explained the meals to us and provided the most prompt service we have ever experienced at the Rutland before. The meals were perfect and just how we wanted them.
The only let down would be to maybe change the music around a bit. But apart from that 99%!

• Visited September 2013
rutlandarms, Owner at Rutland Arms, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Dear Hotrep,

Thank you so much for your lovely review! You have made our day! We are so pleased to hear that we really impressed you on your visit this time. We try very hard to press the importance of great customer service on our team, and we love to hear that they are getting it right.

We would love to be able to give some kudos to the waitress that served you. Can I bother you to send me a quick email to describe her to enquiries@rutlandarms.co.nz ?

Thank again, Hotrep. We really appreciate your review and hope to see you in again soon.

Owner
Wellington, New Zealand
“Relaxed and good service”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Nice little olde world pub, good selection of different imported ales which is nice as it makes a change from the normal NZ poorer quality beer that is often found on tap. Warm interior, plenty of seating and good service. Standard pub food but served quick, tasty and not overly priced.

Visited July 2013
rutlandarms, Owner at Rutland Arms, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Dear Graham,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for the Rutland Arms. We were delighted to see that you enjoyed your dining experiance with us, and especially our selection of Ales - we pride ourselves on our variety of local, national and international beers and we are pleased that they appeal to you too.

I hope we will have the opportunity to host you again on your next visit to Wellington.

Thanks again.

Owner
Whanganui, New Zealand
“Never again!”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

My partner and I went for dinner with a couple of friends and the service was a joke we had hair in one of the dishes and when we told them itswas as if it was ojr fault.We had to request for service a number of times and had below average meals that were bland and tasteless. All we were looking for was a great experience accompanied with good honest food..Rutland Arms you have certainly lost great paying customer's! #notimpressed

• Visited June 2013
rutlandarms, Owner at Rutland Arms, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Dear Angela,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We appreciate all feedback whether it be positive or negative. In this case, we were extremely disappointed to hear about your displeasure with your dining experience. As you can see from our other reviews, yours was not a typical experience and we pride ourselves on our service, food and customer satisfaction – all things we seem to have failed you on. As for the hair in your food, that is completely unacceptable, though surprising as all our food handling team staff wear hats or hairnets specifically to avoid this.

I was hoping that you would be open to taking the time to give me further details about your experience, so that we can investigate and ensure it doesn’t happen again. I would be very keen to find out what date and approximate time you dined, a description of the service team member who served you, and what you ordered for dinner. You are welcome to ring me on 021 967 238 or email me on enquiries@rutlandarms.co.nz.

I am extremely sorry you did not have a good experience at the Rutland. We sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to impress you in the future.

Kind Regards