“Holiday”

Central Court Motel
Ranked #19 of 34 Hotels in Whangarei
Reviewed 28 April 2013

After getting lost finding the motel in the rain it was great to be greeted by friendly hosts who had gone out of their way to ensure our accomodation was just right for us. Even better was the discount we got for being senoirs. Our 2 bedroom unit was perfect giving our elderly Mother her privacy. It was well equiped and ample room for us all. The beds were comfortable and although the unit is a bit older it was spotless. The unit was serviced the next day which we didn't expect - this service is a real bonus, well done to all involved, especially the cleaning staff. Had a problem finding sky but as we were going out for dinner didn't worry about it. Very freindly and helpful hosts.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Headjob40

Reviewed 5 October 2012

Great, friendly, accomodating service. Clean rooms, everything worked. Not the most modern bathroom but functioned well. Comfortable bed. Kitchen had all we needed. Sky TV and wi-fi. We had a two room unit still very quiet.

Room Tip: We were close to the road but still got a good nights sleep,
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank This_is_Beth
docosa10, Owner at Central Court Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2012

Thanks for kind words, we hope our friendly approach and helpful staff makes your stay a nice memorable one. Yes just some of our bathrooms are a little dated, and we are gradually changing that

Reviewed 25 September 2012

I've booked this hotel via Agoda.com for 4 nights starting Sun. I arrived late Sun night (around 9pm-I've called and advised the owner it would be the case) and went straight to bed. I found the rooms and furniture/furnishings were quite old,mismatched (as in possibly bought second-hand) and generally seen better days. When I tried to use the heater, it didn't work and when I went to the office to exchange it, irate owner told me that it did, in fact, work and pointed to the safety button taped over with a scotch tape (he did replace the heater,though). When I tried to move one of the arm chairs, the top part came off completely-it was never attached to the base.
I am a Real Estate investor (licensed Realtor from US), so the purpose of my visit was to meet with several people re. Real estate purchases. I had pre-booked meetings for the duration of my stay in Whangarei. I started with my meetings at 1:30am the next day. I saw 3 people between 10:30am and 2pm. Sometime around midday a cleaning lady barged into the room without knocking or even calling out "room service"-she just opened the door (very quickly,I must add) with her master key and was proceeding into the room. I told her I didn't need room cleaned and exchanged the towels.
When my 2pm appointment walked in, he told me that he was stopped and questioned by the motel owner. When he explained that he had a pre-arranged business meeting, the owner made a remark "If it is what I think it is, I will call the police".. I had no idea what he was implying, so we went on with our meeting.
When my appointment was finished and gentlemen left, the owner knocked on the door and demanded that I leave immediately. I was flabbergasted! I asked him why and he told me that he just doesn't want me there. I told him that I am not doing anything illegal, but he was in agitated state and demanded I left. IAt this point I didn't want to stay there,either, as the owner was clearly unstable. I told him I wanted a refund of my money (pre-paid for 4 nights). He didn't want to do it at first, but I told him that I won't be going anywhere and will call the police, at which point he agreed to issue a refund.
When I got to the office (owner demanded I left the room within 10 min), the owner was on the phone with Agoda and THEY promised me my refund. But I still was not getting a refund for that night (at that stage I was in the motel for less than 24 hours) so I ended up paying twice for the same night's stay,as I booked into another motel almost immediately.
Imagine my surprise when the owners of the new mote I just checked into informed me that the guy posted a WARNING about me claiming that I was "bringing back clients" (when, in fact, I've never left the room) and that I was providing sexual favours for money! To start with, prostitution is NOT illegal in NZ, but that's beside the point! The guy made some really far reaching assumptions based on seeing 3 people enter my room during normal business hours (all of which were dressed in business attire).
If nothing else, this shows unhealthy scrutiny this guy subjects his guests to. And that's considering that's his own wife advertises and runs a massage service from one of the motel rooms and there are men coming and going all the time!
Not to mention that he blatantly ripped me off and is clearly unstable.
I advise to stay away from that place at all cost

Room Tip: Stay away-that's the best advice
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
docosa10, Owner at Central Court Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

Well where do I start. This was a bad experience for us. I accept I asked this guest to leave. We are not a Prostitute friendly Motel, and I make no apologies for my stand. This guest was 100% PROSTITUTE !!!. Not a guess on my behalf as this guest registered and used the same phone number in the local paper advertising her adult services. The guests she entertained may well have been suited up, they probably could pay more, plus what was left in the room well say no more. I will leave it at that and hope future guests do read this reply - we are a family Motel, we try our very best with our service and our standards.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

this was our second stay and both visits were good. The staff are brilliant - nothing is a bother. The rooms are old but well organised and the furniture is very comfortable. Full Sky, free WIFI and a spa and sauna meant that we were never left wondering what to do. There is also a lovely park next door.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Friendly and accommodationg welcome from the owner, helpful to find somewhere undercover for our motorbikes which included a free upgraded room.
Linen beautiful, towels especially fluffy and nice.
Reasonable 20 min walk into town, a welcome wander after riding motorbikes all day
Extra visitors of ants in the evening when we returned wasn't great, although they were only in kitchen area. A few drowned in the kettle overnight, but found this next morning, only after emptying kettle.
Didn't use any other facilities but liked the availability of massages as a nice touch.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
docosa10, Owner at Central Court Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

opps - I have written my reply below. Again - ants are attracted to sweet things and I can only imagine maybe the guest left something sweet out or spilt something before they they came back

Reviewed 19 January 2012

Our group of four stayed here one night on the way to the Bay of Islands.
Faded Glory? No, I don't think this place ever had a glory day. The rooms were musty, the carpets were stained, the towels were threadbare and the beds were unforgiving.
We noted the spa and sauna but were not attracted to them. The hotel pool is an inflatable thing - I think they spent more on the regulatory signs than the actual pool - no diving, no jumping, no running - but nothing about not jumping in with a steak knife in each hand.
The lady in reception, however, was very pleasant and affable - happy to give directions and information with a smile.
We would definitely spend a bit more for something better if there was a next time.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul G

I'm glad these guests enjoyed there stay. I am however disappointed with several ants that visited the room. this is not a common problem here normally, and they generally arrive when guests leave sweet things out for them - I do apologise though

Reviewed 21 December 2011

A group of us stayed here booking out five smaller units. It was over the time of the kapahaka comps and we were lucky to get any accommodation at all in Whangarei as we left it a bit late. Everything about the place was great (very good price, no road noise, easy to find, friendly office staff, tidy units, free internet) but three of our rooms were problematic as they were overpoweringly musty. Opening up windows and getting a through draft made no difference. Both myself and my companion woke in the mornings with sore throats and blocked noses. It was rather unpleasant and I felt a little concerned for our health. I was pleased not to be staying more than a couple of nights. Perhaps the units had been shut up over winter and need dehumifiers permanently in them? I dont know the solution but I wouldnt stay in those downstairs units ever again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Hi, Sorry about the Musty smell you encounted, to over come this problem I air the rooms daily and spray smelly stuff. We are a very big Motel and some rooms are not used every day