“Cheap and cheerful”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #24 of 34 Hotels in Whangarei
Reviewed 1 December 2012 via mobile

The Grand is part of Whangarei history... The Queen herself stayed there in 1953. In fact one of the lads in the golf trip team stayed in her very room, and we all had drinks on her balcony. How many people in the world get to say that? 1953 was probably the last time it was renovated also, but for the money you are paying it is not bad value at all. Not the best if you don't enjoy being lulled to sleep by the sounds of Karaoke from the bar immediately below you. All in all this is decent budget accommodation.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank BulaHoneymooner

Reviewed 13 January 2012

One night stay at the Grand, noone on reception ending going to the bar to enquirer told rooms available viewed room first before accepting. Room was clean average size, small tv abit musky when walking into room, needed to open window. Did not hear any street noise had to leave the window open to hot in the room, ensuite black and white theme, clean only complaint shower head too low down had to bend down to get under the water. Did note the microwave in the corridor not sure why? Price was reasonable for what you got.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank seakimcel1
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My partner and I stayed there together. It was a bit 'gross' having to go through into the sports bar to sign in and collect key. It was very quiet and I didn't actually see another guest while I was there, quite a weird feeling. Anyway, my biggest upset was that there was blood on the duvet. It was a clean duvet, but must've soaked it. Pillows were annoying, no others to swap in cupboard. Anyway, I wouldn't go back, "average". I didn't even get asked how my stay was when I handed the key back.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank K M
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Almost seems like a backpackers. Room and bed was ok (with onsuite). Getting service after hours can be difficult as reception was unmanned. On site manager was helpful (with my late checkin) but does not seem interested otherwise. Cooking facilities were located in the corridor - I.e microwave. No off street parking, although street parking is free at night. Shower has two taps to control the temperature (I thought rather unusual in this day and age).

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Out of all of the hotels we have stayed at the room we had would have to be the dirtiest and smelliest we have ever had! and the darkest as it had minimal lighting. The TV was a portable 12inch one that only had black and white reception. The window had to be left open all night at our risk because of the smell. The bathroom (including the toilet) had not been cleaned after the previous occupants so one could not trust the cleaning of the rest of the room. We wiped down all the surfaces! Only stayed because it was late night and we were too tired to look elsewhere after travelling all day plus we really wanted our stay to be a good one. Pity as it does look Grand from the outside and is in a central location - just unfortunate the cleaning wasn't so grand nor the Manager who overcharged us then always had some pathetic excuse, then wouldn't front up when we waited and waited and waited at Reception to hand in the key and have our say.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ezra41
Reviewed 1 August 2011

On a recent trip "up-north" we decided to try our luck at The Grand Hotel. I called from Auckland the night before travelling and was told quote "no need to book, no one else is staying just rock up". ummmm okayyy..... SO we did as we were told, arriving at approx 4pm on a Friday afternoon. Upon finding the hotel I popped in to make a booking - firstly there was no-one around so wandered down to the "bar". Two "waitresses/ bar ladies" were on the bar serving customers so I waited. After everyone was served their drinks I asked about accommodation and if the "balcony" room was available. "Yeah" was the reply from one of the waitresses who then removed herself from the bar even though I thought we were in the middle of a conversation. When I enquired to the other woman serving I was told that the original woman had to go and "sort out the pokies". This did not bode well - when I did manage to talk more and find out if the room was available a sort of piece of paper was bought out and "yep she was available eh". Okay I thought, great, now where should we park the car "oh there is no parking eh! you can try your luck over the road but can't guarantee it". At this stage I decided my $ was better spent elsewhere and thanked the staff and left as quickly as possible. Such a shame as the place looked fun/ charming but with service and an attitude like that I was glad I spent my $ elsewhere...... PITY

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kiwiactrss
Reviewed 20 April 2011

The management at The grand were very helpful in offering an excellent tarriff as I was staying for a few weeks. when my plans changed they were sympathetic and never grumbled re the missed nights. The rooms are recently refurbished in a traditional style fitting with the historic quality of this building. The best room has it's own balcony where Queen Elizabeth the 2nd once stood & waved.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 35 (it has the balcony!)