“Gordon Ramsey would have a field day!”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #24 of 34 Hotels in Whangarei
Reviewed 7 January 2013 via mobile

OK...so it's cheap, I get that $55 for a single room for the night, but even for that, it should be clean and it isn't. I dare not look at the mattress which feels rather spongy and am a little terrified of pulling the bed covers back. The bathroom has chipped tiles on the floor and it generally feels grubby. Don't come expecting the latest inroom entertainment either. The sign above the switch says it is for the fridge and to leave it on, but thankfully it is off as the door is hanging off and I am sure that is preventing CFCs from pouring in to the atmosphere. I haven't seen a cathode ray TV for years...until today. If you're on a tight budget or if the alternative is the street, I guess it is OK...otherwise I would suggest a little more research for your relaxing nights stay in what otherwise is a well placed and compact coastal town.

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We had to go into the public bar to register. The room was basically comfortable but it smelled unpleasantly. We had to leave the door and the window open to get fresh air and cool the room down. The bathroom facilities were reasonable. We wanted to stay there because of its history but one night was enough.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2012 via mobile

The Grand is part of Whangarei history... The Queen herself stayed there in 1953. In fact one of the lads in the golf trip team stayed in her very room, and we all had drinks on her balcony. How many people in the world get to say that? 1953 was probably the last time it was renovated also, but for the money you are paying it is not bad value at all. Not the best if you don't enjoy being lulled to sleep by the sounds of Karaoke from the bar immediately below you. All in all this is decent budget accommodation.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank BulaHoneymooner
Reviewed 13 January 2012

One night stay at the Grand, noone on reception ending going to the bar to enquirer told rooms available viewed room first before accepting. Room was clean average size, small tv abit musky when walking into room, needed to open window. Did not hear any street noise had to leave the window open to hot in the room, ensuite black and white theme, clean only complaint shower head too low down had to bend down to get under the water. Did note the microwave in the corridor not sure why? Price was reasonable for what you got.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank seakimcel1
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My partner and I stayed there together. It was a bit 'gross' having to go through into the sports bar to sign in and collect key. It was very quiet and I didn't actually see another guest while I was there, quite a weird feeling. Anyway, my biggest upset was that there was blood on the duvet. It was a clean duvet, but must've soaked it. Pillows were annoying, no others to swap in cupboard. Anyway, I wouldn't go back, "average". I didn't even get asked how my stay was when I handed the key back.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank K M
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Almost seems like a backpackers. Room and bed was ok (with onsuite). Getting service after hours can be difficult as reception was unmanned. On site manager was helpful (with my late checkin) but does not seem interested otherwise. Cooking facilities were located in the corridor - I.e microwave. No off street parking, although street parking is free at night. Shower has two taps to control the temperature (I thought rather unusual in this day and age).

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Out of all of the hotels we have stayed at the room we had would have to be the dirtiest and smelliest we have ever had! and the darkest as it had minimal lighting. The TV was a portable 12inch one that only had black and white reception. The window had to be left open all night at our risk because of the smell. The bathroom (including the toilet) had not been cleaned after the previous occupants so one could not trust the cleaning of the rest of the room. We wiped down all the surfaces! Only stayed because it was late night and we were too tired to look elsewhere after travelling all day plus we really wanted our stay to be a good one. Pity as it does look Grand from the outside and is in a central location - just unfortunate the cleaning wasn't so grand nor the Manager who overcharged us then always had some pathetic excuse, then wouldn't front up when we waited and waited and waited at Reception to hand in the key and have our say.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple