“Pleasant visit...”
Review of Kamo Wildlife Sanctuary - CLOSED

Kamo Wildlife Sanctuary
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We popped over for the 11am guided tour and all an all this was a pleasant visit.
The previous day the weather was pretty bad and on that morning there was only 2 of us for the tour! ... and the weather held up!
Tour took about an Hour and a half - out tour guide Emma was friendly and very knowledgeable - she clearly loved the cats quite a lot.
All the cats were out and about most of them basking in the sun. The roar of the lions were quite impressive...
The double fencing (one for the cats and one for the public) made shooting with my dSLR quite hard in terms of focus. The fence mesh is in every frame. You were not allowed to get close to the inner fence for obvious reasons - usually if you got close enough you would be able to get reasonably good shot through the wire mesh. I would suggest elevated platforms above the fence - this works very well from personal experience. Zion has only been re-opened for over a year and it would be interesting to how how things change over in the next few years. Hint hint - a Coffee shop!!!

5  Thank AcurAnz

Reviewed 17 May 2013

Thank you Kingdom of Zion ! This was my second visit and as a big cat enthusiast, I found both visits well worth while.

The cheetah encounter was simply the best experience ever. Hard to describe, but being so close to them gave me a much better sense of what a cheetah is and does – much food for thought. Our guides were great - calm and steady, informative, and the cheetahs seemed so relaxed, keen to be fed, but polite and calm about it. It was a good atmosphere, from both people and animals, and the half-hour time-frame felt just right. I enjoyed it – and more importantly, the cheetahs seemed to enjoy it too !

The enrichment tour was great. Our guide was very well-informed and passionate about the cats, but the cats – of course – ran the show. Some felt like playing, others didn’t, and it was lovely that no cat was forced into doing anything, that’s not the way it’s done at KoZ - so we saw different cats in action than last time. The keeper-provided enrichment was interesting to see, but the cats’ spontaneous behavior was a delight. They also treated us to several bouts of group roaring, magnificent to hear.

All in all it was a happy atmosphere at Kingdom of Zion – happy staff, content cats. I highly recommend a visit (or 2 or 3…) and I wish them all the very best for future developments there. We are so lucky to have such a beautiful big cat park right here in NZ. Thank you again, and I hope to be back soon.

8  Thank Leanne D
Reviewed 6 May 2013

i would have liked this tour except for 2 things. firstly while adults pay $80 kidsd pay $30. that meant when we were there kids outnumbered the adults by 2 to 1. this meant all the kids were making noises trying to scare the lions, and pushing infront of the adults - generally being kids - except the parents werent overly concerned. the 2nd thing that annoyed me. upon finishing the tour we were given the option of adding a 'cheetah experience' to the tour. the young girl giving the tour boasted how this normally costs $170 but for one day only you can have it for just $50. wow bargin i thought. however we were only in feeding the cheetahs for 20 mins. the actual cheetah expierence lasts 4 hours and is much more in depth. so please don't treat us like stupid tourists. i have no problem paying the extra $50. infact i probably would have paid $100 for the experience, but dont try and claim it is normally worth $170. that is called lying - which is much worse than pushy kids on the tour!

8  Thank ataahua w
JillW425, Manager at Kamo Wildlife Sanctuary, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2013

Thank you for the feedback. Of course there will always be a cheaper entry price for children wherever you go, and rightly so. We do want to encourage people to bring their children to see our big cats, hopefully they will learn something and also feel engaged to protect these wonderful animals. I suspect, from the date of your review that you visited during the school holidays where we will always have a higher ratio of children. With regard to the cheetah experience, I am afraid you have the wrong information, so I hope you won't mind me correcting you, since your review implies you were mislead. The cheetah experience is not 4 hours as you have stated. The cost is $175 including a tour of the park (or $195 if in conjunction with a feed or enrichment tour), and this includes approximately 30 minutes in the cheetah enclosure. This is also a private experience, that is you or your party (up to a maximum of 4) will be the only people in the enclosure. Therefore the mini encounter that you enjoyed and were offered at $50 was a reduced rate, as properly explained by your guide, I hope that clarifies the situation for you.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

I have been to the Lion Park previously on the basic tour which I enjoyed but I have just been on the afternoon feed tour, which is just such a fantastic experience. Those beautiful creatures are just magnificent to watch waiting for their food and then what they all do when they have been given it, they all have such great individual characteristics. All the staff are so knowledgeable regarding each of the different cats. It is great to see these animals so content in their environment. Very well done Zion thank you for a memorable experience.

2  Thank NZlmsunshine