“Excellent Motel”

Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Whangarei
Greater Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent Motel”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

This is as good as a motel can get. The place was well furnished and decorated and everything was top class which was a surprise. Staff were friendly and there was really nothing more you could want from a motel.

Room Tip: Traffic noise may be a problem near the highway
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
bordeaux361, Owner at Lodge Bordeaux, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you for your lovely review of Lodge Bordeaux. We welcome feedback from our guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

This studio was wonderfully appointed with a very comfortable kingsize bed, a sitting area, dining area and very nice kitchen which was very well supplied with food and drink which were very reasonably priced. The hosts were very friendly and helpful. The bath had a nice whirlpool spa as well as shower

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tumblingshoals
bordeaux361, Owner at Lodge Bordeaux, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Thanks for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and found that our rooms were well appointed to meet your needs while away from home.
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This is a nice hotel. We picked it because of TripAdvisor and because the hotel advertised free fast speed internet. Generally speaking, the employees, etc. were nice. One of the owners was so nice, in fact, that he let me try to upload something from the front office of the hotel.

That being said, he also destroyed much of my trip. He understood that I needed to upload certain files (videos we were making in NZ) and that they needed to be uploaded while we were there so they could be viewed in the USA the next day or so. Yet, in the middle of the night, he canceled one, without consulting me--and none ever ended up going through (I had to spend a lot of time finding another internet location that could help me). Furthermore, in addition to me having to pay more in my room for internet access as the online server in the room told me, when we went to check out, we were also charged an additional NZ$10 per day for internet. Something that was supposed to be free.

Now, we noticed that the hotel has since changed there claims about the internet, but this hurt and disappointed us--then getting the extra charge was adding insult to injury.

We were also not allowed any pool access, which also disappointed us.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
bordeaux361, Owner at Lodge Bordeaux, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Our response to RT:

We are sorry that your stay at Lodge Bordeaux did not measure up to your expectations, however we wish to respond to your comments.
We feel that we went out of our way to make your stay pleasant. We even gave you an extra bed for the four nights of your stay, at no charge.
We made every effort to deal with the problems you experienced regarding the internet issues - to the point of allowing you access to our own laptop and using the private internet access through our reception.
We put you in touch with our IT person who advised that there was only one place in Whangarei who might able to upload files as large (up to 5 Gb per day) as the ones you wanted to send.
We have not changed anything on our website, or anywhere else we advertise. In our guest compendium it states ...
"We provide 100mb of free internet access daily. Thereafter, extra usage can be purchased online using your Credit Card ."
With regard to your allegation that David switched off the computer without checking with you first - the computer that we allowed you to borrow, and which was set up on our reception desk. You started to upload filesduring the morning of Friday, went out for the day leaving the computer running. The computer was left running all night Friday, and the uploading had hours still to go, hence David pulled the plug on Saturday afternoon as the computer was required elsewhere. As you did not leave a phone number, we were unable to contact you. If you were so concerned about the files that you were uploading, we felt that you should have at least checked on the progress and made sure that you were not disrupting our business.
Uploading 5Gb files is unacceptable to our internet provider, and the internet we provide can only be as fast as the speed of internet available in New Zealand.
We did charge $40.00 ($10.00 per day) for internet useage. Given the size of the files being uploaded, this is a very minimal charge. We provide 100mb free useage - not 3-5 Gb or more.

And as for RT''s claim of not being given access to the pool. We clearly state in the guest compendium "The pool is heated from Labour weekend (late October) to Easter. " At no time did any of RT's family mention that they wanted to use the pool, or we would have advised that the pool was not heated, and so not very condusive to swimming in mid September. But we would not have "denied access" to the pool.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 October 2013

By New Zealand standards this may seem an expensive motel, but it is more than a motel; and it is well worth the money in terms of space, suite layout, facilities offered, maintenance and cleanliness standards. We had no issue with road noise (as reported by other reviewers) being in a unit distant from the road; but it was perhaps this which gave us an occasional irritation when the Wi-Fi to the unit dropped out.

For the record, this was a suite proper, with a separate bedroom, a very generous living room with what seemed to be a convertible sofa and a lavishly-equipped kitchen, and an excellent bathroom. A very well-stocked mini-bar (as well as racked 750ml bottles of wine) rounded it all off..

Room Tip: Suite 7 is one of those furthest from the main road, and very quiet. Visitors to Whangarei may no...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peterkar
bordeaux361, Owner at Lodge Bordeaux, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for your glowing appraisal of our property. We make every effort to make our guests' stay memorable. Such a positive review from a well-travelled customer makes it all worth-while. Sorry about the internet dropping out. We are on the lookout for a more reliable internet supplier.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Lovely large accommodation with clean and vintage / homely design. Well equipped kitchen and appliance. Comfortable bed. Friendly staff. I loved my spa!!! Despite situating on state highway 1 - it's very quiet if you are situated in one of the rooms at the back. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
auckland
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I have stayed here a number of times now on work trips. I keep returning as I think it is the very best Whangarei has to offer. I see other reviewers have complained about road noise but I have never found it a problem. What do I like about this place? The layout of the units is great. Spacious, with quality fittings and furnishings, a really good kitchen with dishwasher, a really good bathroom with spa bath, I love being able to grab a dip in a clean well maintained swimming pool. A really comfortable bed. This is a lodging put together with a bit of style and care. Internet is enough for checking on emails, Sky TV is beyond the basic. I stayed in a Marriott in the USA and felt very stingily treated, can you believe one teabag per day and $30 per day internet!!!! Thank you Lodge Bordeaux. I always feel I've had a bit of a treat alongside busy working trips.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Salisbury UK
Reviewed 10 October 2013

A great place to stay, rooms very well appointed and maintained, superb breakfasts. It is on a main road (SH1) but we had no problems with the road noise mentioned by other reviewers. BUT, all let down by their ISP. Let me start by saying that coming from the UK where the vast majority of hotels provide free essentially unmetered internet access the very restrictive system they seem to operate in NZ is a huge culture shock. That said the hotel offered 50MB (it also said 100MB is some places) free access. My typical daily use on holiday is about 10MB to 20MB so no problem I thought. So I collected my e-mails (headers only so only a few kB) and had a look at an airline website and a couple of others - then the ISP says I have used all my allowance! Next day is pretty much the same story - allowance allegedly used up in no time. An e-mail to the ISP support got no sense, they simply claimed I had used up the 50MB. Hopeless. So, if you want a great hotel this may be the place, but don't expect any use from the "free" internet access. This regrettably downed my overall rating for an otherwise super hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple