“Some of the best Thai I have ever had”

Suk Jai Thai Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 135 Restaurants in Whangarei
Price range: US$14 - US$27
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The only Thai restaurant in Whangarei which received the prestigious "Thai Select" Award from the Prime Minister of Thailand in March 2013 to certify and recognise Thai restaurants outside Thailand which serve authentic Thai cuisine of the highest standard.
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This restaurant is very popular - we had to wait 15minutes for a table. We all enjoyed our meals. They were well presented, a good portion size and tasty! The service was very good. The only thing we didn't like was the choice of very full on classical music - that didn't seem to fit the restaurant.

Charn T, Owner at Suk Jai Thai Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for your compliments about our food. Yes, I myself am a very fond lover of classical music and I try choosing most beautiful pieces of classical compositions for our restaurant. There are a few customers (like you) who preferred Thai music to the restaurant, as they believe a Thai restaurant should play Thai music. However the vast majority of our customers love the choices of music I choose and they keep coming back to enjoy our nice food and enjoy listening to the beautiful pieces of classical music we choose. I even got invited to attend lots of concerts and piano competitions with many of my lovely customers who became good friends with me after they listen to the music at our restaurant and start to 'chat' to me about classical music.

Moreover, while Thai music is unique in its own right, but if you become a regular customer and you have to listen to it all the time when you come in, it may also lose its magic! So classical music choices seem to be safer and more universal. But I will see if I can add some nice Thai songs into our USB, we will see about that. Now I just need to see if I will come across some really nice Thai songs online to share to our customers :)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We went on Monday 19th May 2014 with the Wood Turners from Whangarei and there was 69 of us booked in. The service was fantastic as always. We had a banquet because there was so many of us, but the service was very impressive. They catered for my husband who needs Gluten free food ( they cooked is specially for him) and the food just kept on coming, in the end we had to say we could not eat any more. It was excellent, been twice before and always impressed.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We took some out of town friends from Sydney and wellington ( who have had awesome dining experiences) to Suk Jai Thai because its really the only place in Whangarei we feel comfortable taking friends for a guaranteed great meal thats an awesome price. The wo,man heaped tones of rice on ouyr plates, our curries and duck and other dishes were amazing, and they constantly gave us water and checked on us. Best place in town

1  Thank Kate L
Charn T, Owner at Suk Jai Thai Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

I am very glad to know that we are the place where you feel confident that you and your party will be full if you choose us. I myself am also a very discerning diner myself, and I get frustrated every time when I visit a restaurant and do not feel that their meals are filling. So I always make it a rule that rice, once purchased, is always refillable and make sure that my staffs frequent every table and ask customers if they want some more (because some customers don't know that they are refillable).

We do not make any profit at all for rice (it is one item which we never make a profit of; because they have become very expensive lately but we still retain the policy of refillable rice to make our meals filling), but seeing many customers return and bring their friends, and seeing us having more and more regular customers despite fierce competition of Thai restaurants in Whangarei, we feel that the fact that we do not make a profit in rice more than make it up for the amount of ever increasing regular customers we have. Thank you and (needless to say) we await to welcome you again :)

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Our favourite restaurant in Whangarei. Lovely , fresh, well presented staff and the wait staff are so helpful.
Many thanks

1  Thank Myfile
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Maybe the best Thai ever, including Europe and the USA. Great food, service and all fresh ingredients. Love Whangarei.

1  Thank tan c