“Best cheap eats in Whangarei”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Fat Camel

Fat Camel
Ranked #2 of 128 Restaurants in Whangarei
Price range: US$8 - US$21
Cuisines: Cafe, Middle Eastern, Israeli, Mediterranean
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Special Occasion Dining, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Casual dining for breakfast, lunch or dinner, cafe with off street outdoor seating. Fresh, healthy and tasty Israeli food. Plenty to offer no matter what your dietary requirements, be it meat lover, vegetarian, vegan, or gluten free. Friendly atmosphere, counter service during the day and waiter service from 6pm. Park in Vine Street Car-park or on Cameron and walk through to Quality Street.
Mallow, Ireland
“Best cheap eats in Whangarei”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

This small restaurant situated in the quaint Quality street sells delicious middle eastern food. I recommend it as a place for a quick cheap eat rather than a special night out kind of place i.e. great for grabbing a bite to eat for lunch or before the movies etc. I'm a repeat customer and think the pitas are great value which is what I mostly order. The staff are professional and you can sit outside and enjoy the weather if it is a nice day. This place is always busy and is easily the best casual/cheap eats place in town.

• Visited April 2014

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“Ok food but dirty restaurant spoilt it for me”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

We went here for lunch as it always looks busy and has so many good reviews. The staff were friendly and the service was fine. Long time since I have eaten eastern Mediterranean and I was really looking forward to it. Menu looked fab and the tables and counters looked clean. When we had ordered I looked down and noticed the skirting boards and floor under our table were filthy. Hadn't been cleaned for a long time. Then I looked around me more carefully and anything that wasn't a direct food surface was the same. Very dirty. The food when it arrived was ok, but nothing special. But maybe the dirt had spoilt my appetite? Not good enough

Visited May 2014
4 Thank Jane M
Whangarei, New Zealand
“Maybe it was just me, but I didn't like the food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Like the title said, maybe it was just me, but I did not enjoy their food. I ordered their chicken main (about $19.00) and the staffs are very lovely. I couldn't fault them. I asked for their recommendations and they said I should try this chicken main. It comes with yellow rice and lots of various vegetables in a sour dressing. It tastes okay but I found the flavours limited (chicken and rice are salty and vegetables are sour). It was not bad. I could finish the dish, but I did not really enjoy them.

But as I said I believe this is just me, because my comment seems to be in the minority, and I completely agree with other reviewers that the staffs here are friendly and amazing. In fact their friendliness is so impressive I just could not be honest and tell them that I did not enjoy what I ordered that much, for the fear that it would hurt their feelings. Maybe I ordered the wrong dish, but I am sure if I want to go back and give another dish a try.

The décor is basic and the place seems to be very busy every time I walk pass. So just take my review with a grain of salt and give this place a try anyway. Despite my neutral impression of the food I ordered my overall impression of Fat Camel is positive due to its amazing staffs. But when you didn't really enjoy the food you can't really give the restaurant a very high score. I am so sorry Fat Camel if my review offended you :(

• Visited April 2014
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Absolutely delicious !!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Wow what divine food !! We shared a platyer and the food was so tasty !!! The service was brilliant even though they were busy. Its a small little restaurant and well worth a visit !!!!!

Auckland, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food and good location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

The food was great. 2 little boys loved it. It was maybe a little pricey as it was more of a cafe than restaurant. But very friendly staff.

Visited April 2014