“My favourite in Whangarei”
Review of Fat Camel

Fat Camel
Ranked #2 of 138 Restaurants in Whangarei
Price range: US$8 - US$21
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Casual dining for breakfast, lunch or dinner, cafe with off street outdoor seating. Fresh, healthy and tasty Israeli food. Plenty to offer no matter what your dietary requirements, be it meat lover, vegetarian, vegan, or gluten free. Friendly atmosphere, counter service during the day and waiter service from 6pm. Park in Vine Street Car-park or on Cameron and walk through to Quality Street.
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I ate at this restaurant regularly during my stay in town simply because each time I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. From the yummy cuisine, to the friendly staff, to being able to grab a coffee or takeaway whilst passing, this cafe never failed me. I can't think there's anything more I would wish for from a cafe and only hope that on my return to Whangarei that things are still the same.

1  Thank Fergus170000

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Fat Camel is great for a quick bite to eat for lunch, dinner before a movie or casual dinner with family or friends. The staff are very accommodating and friendly and they welcome children. I have tried most things on the menu and you do get good value for money. A pita cost between $ 8-10 roughly. I would recommend Fat Camel for a healthy, cheap meal out.

1  Thank whypoo
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Ordered 2 pieces of baklava to takeaway. No price was visible, and silly me, i didn't inquire first. We were charged $10.00 for 2 pieces, placed in a brown paper bag, not even any cream.
At $5.00 a piece for takeaway this is a huge rip off. Too make matters worse, they were soggy and not fresh. They had taken on the flavours of the kitchen/fridge.

2  Thank pompallier64
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This small restaurant situated in the quaint Quality street sells delicious middle eastern food. I recommend it as a place for a quick cheap eat rather than a special night out kind of place i.e. great for grabbing a bite to eat for lunch or before the movies etc. I'm a repeat customer and think the pitas are great value which is what I mostly order. The staff are professional and you can sit outside and enjoy the weather if it is a nice day. This place is always busy and is easily the best casual/cheap eats place in town.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We went here for lunch as it always looks busy and has so many good reviews. The staff were friendly and the service was fine. Long time since I have eaten eastern Mediterranean and I was really looking forward to it. Menu looked fab and the tables and counters looked clean. When we had ordered I looked down and noticed the skirting boards and floor under our table were filthy. Hadn't been cleaned for a long time. Then I looked around me more carefully and anything that wasn't a direct food surface was the same. Very dirty. The food when it arrived was ok, but nothing special. But maybe the dirt had spoilt my appetite? Not good enough

4  Thank Jane M