“Great Value, Great Location. Great View.”

Distinction Whangarei Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Whangarei
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We had the best time staying here all thanks to the wonderful manager Mike who gave us a grat deal and a wonderful room overlooking the bay. The rate was NZ$165.00 and he let us have it for $135.00. It was the best room by far that we stayed in during our whole two week trip. Better by miles than the Stamford in Auckland which kids itself that it is 5 stars and is more expensive. Pool, gym, balcony bar and restaurant. Next time we will base ourselves here and fan out across Northland doing day trips which due to the size of Northland is very easy. Even the cheaper rooms at the rear of the hotels were large and luxurious.10/10 from us.

Room Tip: Try and get a front 2nd floor room overlooking Harbour. No lift .Back rooms are still tops.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 April 2013

Having last visited the hotel in 1991, for our wedding reception when we lived in Whangarei, I thought it may have aged a lot and been quite tired. I was pleasantly surprised when I got to the room and found it very clean and tidy. It was very quiet the night we stayed, maybe due to it being ANZAC Day and not many business travellers. The service at front desk was great, my husband had checked in before I arrived then left to visit friends and I couldn't get hold of him when I needed to get to the room but was able to get a key after a little explaining.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Have just returned from my second stay at this hotel but think I will try somewhere else next time.
I am a light sleeper and found the lack of soundproofing between rooms appalling. When I first checked in I was given an upstairs room but I could hear the noise of the pool motor very clearly even with the window closed so immediately asked for another room. I was given a downstairs room but at 9.30pm the man in the next room was snoring so loud that I could hear it even over the television and the aircon in my room. I again asked to be moved and Tara the duty manager was very helpful and good natured about it and quickly found another room for me. (I could still hear the person in the room above me moving around but at least it wasn't as constant as the snoring!)

The hotel is like a rabbit warren and I had difficulty operating the television (which happened on my first stay as well) but on the plus side it is very clean. My colleague had a room upstairs. She also had difficulties with the television and mentioned that she could hear the person in the next room as well.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else if you want it quiet!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank us2kiwis
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We arrived late at night; staff not phased and helpful. Room well appointed and quiet. Lovely situation overlooking the bay and close to fascinating clock museum. Was particularly grateful that they retrieved and facilitated the return of my filofax (sorry but I still have one!). Comfortable bed and clean.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the building
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Stayed here a few times for work. A large hotel, which is sprawled everywhere - finding your room can be a mission! It's bit of a rabbit warren, but there are signs, but it's nevertheless confusing. In general this hotel is in need of updating.

While most of the times I've stayed it's been okay, the last experience has left me wanting to stay elsewhere. I don't think I'm that picky - I believe that any hotel should have a minimum of a good bed, quiet room and good food. The bed was okay, but that's about it.

The service at breakfast was quite simply poor. No smile, not welcoming and the food was extremely average at best.

One of the nights, they happened to have a wedding on. While the noise was a little disturbing from my room, I got to sleep okay. However, when it finished is when the "fun" began. At about 1:30am I was woken by very drunk people staying in a large room two away from mine. Very loud party noise, stereo, the works. Rather than confront them alone, I phoned reception. I also phoned four more times and eventually at around 4am I got back to sleep. Very disappointing reaction and I believe these people should have been kicked out. I was very close to by-passing reception and phoning the police. They disturbed a lot of people, who were talking about it the next day.

I think that if they are going to hold weddings and have people stay, that they should block off a wing for those guests and have them sign an agreement with regards to noise after 10pm. I mentioned this to the duty manager, who gave the impression he couldn't care less.

End of rant!

Room Tip: Ask if they have a wedding on and if so, avoid a room near to where the wedding guests are!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Most of the motels (according to the totally useless, uninterested and unhelpful information centre in Whangarei Basin) are out of town but the Kingsgate is right on the front of the excellent Basin Marina - literally across the road facing the moored yachts. Excellent hotel, nice room, good facilities. And it is well worth a stroll around the marina. Stacks of safe parking. Just don't understand why they want to charge a few miserable dollars for wi-fi when the room rate is not cheap (seems petty to me). Staff could be friendlier ...but not a big deal seeing as you only need to speak to them to check-in/out (perhaps 'sullen' is a qualifying characteristic to work at this chain as we found similar attitudes in other Millennium hotels, and who like this one want a bond when you check in....perhaps we look like aged rock stars who intend to hurl the TV out of the window!!!!!).

Room Tip: Don't take the sullen staff attitude personally...I reckon it's part of the training to be e...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

Older hotel but in good location, 5 min walk to town and across the water to the waterfront dining areas.
Lots of facilities.
Rooms were quite noisy, not much soundproofing between rooms and recommend getting an upper level as downstairs u could hear everything from upstairs.
Huge place, be good for conferencing etc.

• Stayed: March 2013