“Worst dining experience in a long time!”

Kamo Hotel Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #99 of 137 Restaurants in Whangarei
Cuisines: Pub
Description: Kamo Hotel Restaurant & Bar est in the late 1800's is a refurbished establishment which offers a Sports Bar, 18 Gaming Machines, Pool Tables, Lounge Bar, Full Equipped Restaurant and Buffet Area, SKY TV, Big Screen Projector, In-house Sound System for large events, Free WiFi, Board Meeting Room, 10 Room Comfortable and Affordable Accommodation with large secure parking. Handy to bus stations and local businesses all in the heart of Kamo Township. 20min drive to your local beaches and tourist coastal route and the gateway to the far north.
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Had dinner here with friends and family. I frequently drive past The Kamo Hotel and it looks like such a stately establishment that I was keen to dine here. The exterior of the building looks fantastic, unfortunately that was where the wow factor began and ended. I was expecting to see a bit of history reflected in the restaurant's interior but all we got was old dated decor and a small dining room which struggled to hold our large group. There are also steps next to the mens toilet that lead to a wall making it look as though it was easier to just board up sections of the hotel rather than renovate. You expect a bit of 'character' dining in older establishments but this was disappointing. The real disappointment though was the food and the time it took to be served. I ordered the 'Roast of the day' which was pork. The pork was dry and over cooked, served up with boiled carrots and cauliflower, gravy, apple sauce, and deep fried potatoes. Despite being very hungry I struggled to finish my meal. Although my meal was the 'dish of the day' it was very bland, over cooked, and took over 45mins to be served. It was like Hospital food... from the 80's. The pricing was what I consider to be moderate when dining out but for the quality of food served was not good value. It is a shame as it is a fantastic building/location to have a restaurant and would have appreciated having a nice dining option closer to home.

2  Thank Haemosis

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We went as a very large group and the seating arrangement unfortunately meant some of us had our backs to each other. I had the medium spare ribs. Yum could never have eaten the large ones When they came out I though oooh only 4 I'm going to starve however there was a lot of meat on them very tender and succulent and I did not have to resort to using fingers because they were so very tender. Service was very very slow and although we had had nibbles beforehand we were still getting agitated at the delay. Friendly staff helped.

1  Thank Anne255371
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My husband and I dropped in for a quick drink as we had some time to spare. We only stayed for one drink as I found the cigarette smell was awful and with the door from the verandah open the smoke was coming into the bar area. I also found the bar area is in need of good clean and a coat of paint on the wall as the hotel is looking very tried. We were going to come back for a meal as we are visiting family in the area but after reading an earlier comment I thin we will give it a miss.

1  Thank Lisa O
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Recently, we were on business and found our selves having dinner at the Kamo hotel. First impressions were a reasonable menu with moderate pricing in nice surroundings.
The entrees came out and although tasty were expensive for what they were.
The mains on the other hand were seriously disappointing. They had a t bone steak special on and the cut was only about 10mm thick. My colleague asked for rare and received well done.
The lamb shank on mash that myself and my other colleague ordered came out on reconstituted dried potato. The meal cost $130.00 for 3 of us with minimal drinks and only 2 entrees.
Now when paying this sort of money, you would expect that some time could have been taken to make fresh mashed potato. In future we will make the trip back into Whangarei and find better quality food for better value.

5  Thank Geoff Y