“Has potential”

Price range: US$9 - US$22
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

Having read the other reviews we decided to give Shotgun Betty's TexMex restaurant a go ourselves. It was a family birthday evening so we were not in any hurry which was just as well as there were a couple of office Christmas parties in. We were advised of the wait so ordered drinks and vege nachos to share, which were tasty and chose mains from the fairly wide choice of standard TexMex fare you would expect. The mains did take time to turn up as only 1 chef on duty but they were again tasty and large portions though sadly no re-fried beans as they had run out. The restaurant has good potential and if they can work on speeding up service and not run out of staple TexMex ingredients then this place will be successful. we will go back again so try it for yourself

Reviewed 23 November 2013

took a group in food was terrible service terrile none of us would go back ever 18 meals not one nice one drinks dear a night spoilt

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We are Whangarei immigrants from Auckland, where we had been spoiled for choice of good quality and diverse restaurants. In the eight years we have been living in the north, we have failed to find a restaurant with great food, and great prices. Having been a big fan of tex/mex and the Lone Star Chain, we were pretty happy to give Shotgun Betty's a go and were not disappointed.

The best Mexican food I've had in years! And the steaks are good quality and cooked perfectly. What more can you ask for? Well good service helps - and I have to say that the waitresses delivered on both our visits.

To be honest, I don't know what the previous posts are on about. Shotgun Betty's has wonderful food, in a casual environment with great staff! Do not hesitate, and give the Jalapeno Poppers a try - they're awesome.

Thanks Shotgun Bettys, we will be back - so much more on your menu we want to try!

Reviewed 10 October 2013

It is understandable to have teething problems when you first open a restaurant but this business lacks professionalism and hospitality knowledge. Waitresses are poorly trained, chef's took over an hour to prepare 1 Entree, 1 Main and 1 kids meal. Owner was apologetic however lacked confidence and people skills. Basically the atmosphere vibe you get as soon as you walk in the door gives you the sense to lower your expectations. A shame because the only thing that is well thought out is the menu.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

When a tex-mex restaurant opened up in whangarei I was excited. I believed that it was just what the area needed, but it was short lived and closed after a brief run. But then a new establishment opened up in the place where Malba's used to be and the promise of an even bigger and better restaurant had been established.

My partner and visited it on a sunday and had lunch there, and really enjoyed our experience and we found the manager and our waitress to be accommodating, friendly and over all pleasant. although we did experience some teething issues being a new place, but overall we walked away satisfied.

A short-time later we decided to book the restaurant for my brother-in-law's birthday, and it was a rather large reservation. The night unfortunately was filled with issues such as forgetting orders, food somewhat below standard and as a result it really affected the way the restaurant was seen by members of the dinner party.

How-ever I am not willing to write shot-gun betty's off. I truly enjoyed my experience with them. I thought the food was good and I met some great members of staff. I believe that once they work out the "wrinkles" its going to be a great establishment and its most definitely worth visiting.