“Dinner only did not stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Discovery Settlers Hotel Whangarei

Discovery Settlers Hotel Whangarei
Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Whangarei
Whangarei, New Zealand
“Dinner only did not stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012

Yay! They have a new chef, went for dinner last night after saying we probably would not go again, our last experience was not pleasant. Pleasant surprise, the new chef is great! Fresh well presented food and very tastey. The menu did not match that advertised on the web site but the chef said to just let him know what we fancied and he was sure he could oblige. Great service, my advice to management is, don't lose this guy and maybe give him a shot at planning the menu. We will be back!. We dine out at least once a week , it will be nice to add settlers back on our list.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Moerewa, NZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

Once again my wife and I went out for Dinner and had the buffet at Discovery Settlers. A varied menu with brilliant oysters, and foir the first time I also had dessert, not that I needed it after the rest of the meal.

A lot of places could teach their wait staff a thing or 2 from here. Empty plates were quite simply whished away once empty. Staff gave the impression that they actually wanted to be at work.

Again I will be going back at some stage for another meal. I see know reason not to.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2012

Our group, Kapiti 4 Seasons Tours had fifteen seniors, age 62-83 (nine units) we stayed for bed, dinner and breakfast... EVERYTHING was perfect from check-in. We had all ground floor, nice units,sun on both sides, east and then west and very good value. The evening meal and breakfast the next morning was perfect. Staff wonderful and we did meet Rick in charge of a very good venue... MUCH improved over previous years...CONGRATULATIONS RICK...

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice and very handy to the Whangarei Basin. Our group were very happy and mostly...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
West Sussex, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

We upgraded to a recently refurbished room for very little cost and it turned out very good. The room was well laid out, good faciliites and balcony. Very clean. The restaurant was ok; not exceptional but pefectly adequate. The staff WERE exceptional. We had a disabled guest for dinner and we were well looked after.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dargaville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

Stayed overnight and attended a buffet meal for our group of approximately 50. I was impressed with the service. The evening flowed smoothly with a great aray of food, regularly replenished,and empty plates just vanished quickly. Some of our group had disabilities and assistance to them was instant and appropriate.Our accomodation was comfortable and the Skye TV was appreciated as there was an Allblack Game on. Will be back next year.

Room Tip: We had a Disability room with a suitable shower, it was quiet with heavy curtains that kept it dark...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

Stayed 3 nights, our room was great with a very comfortable king size bed. Excellent staff. Went to the seafood buffet on the Sunday night, it was superb. We were on the roadside but hardly heard the traffic.

Room Tip: Try to stay on Sunday night for the wonderful buffet
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

Having lived in Whangarei for 8 years up until the early 1990's the Settlers was always regarded as anice place to stay, modern and well respoected.

Sadly it would appear that little maintenance has been done since then! Admittedly, the last time I stayed there (prior to my last trip) the room that I was in was refurbished, modern and quite comfortable.

My last visit in the other hand was far from this! Seriously, I travel a lot and stay in a wide range of establishments therefore I believe I have a somewhat open view on differing standards and am quite philosophical when it comes to standards.

On this occasion frankly the room allocated was an absolute disgrace. I was traveling with 2 other colleagues so could compare their rooms. One of my colleagues obviously was fortunate enough to get an "upgrade" to a room that at least had a flat screen TV! My room was something of a disaster. The room my other colleage was in was the minimum standard a room should be presneted in, not promoted as an "upgrade".

A list of issues included

Shower Door not closing therefore flooding occurred every time the shower was used (clearly this had been a fault for some time looking at the water stain on the carpet joining the Bathroom)

• Paint peeling of the ceiling in the bathroom

• The refrigerator hidden away in a strange cupboard (see Photo), was filthy (both fridge and cupboard)

• The heater sounded like a 747 when it was going.

• Clock Radio did not go

• The bathroom was dirty as was the room over all.

On the plus side the staff were very friendly, helpfull and pleasant.

Room Tip: Get an upgraded room!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
shady007_11, General Manager at Discovery Settlers Hotel Whangarei, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
As General Manager I respect and value your feedback, having being bought up in Whangarei myself and knowing of the Settlers as to be the place to stay in Whangarei. Accepting the position of General Manager just over a year ago I knew was going to be one with many challenges ahead. Priority was to implement a major refurbishment programme which we are half way through and receiving fantastic feedback on including your good self. 'Admittedly, the last time I stayed there.. ..the room that I was in was refurbished, modern and quite comfortable'
However it is quite clear your most recent visit was a very poor experience and I sincerely apologise for this as this was one of the rooms scheduled for a refurbishment from 23rd September, along with the remaining 26 units to be completed by January 2013. Which will see the Discovery Settlers completely back to her former glory.
As management we clearly understand our current situation and where possible we are always offering complimentary upgrades for our refurbished rooms, subject to availability as this is what we want to be known for.
I thank you for the positive feedback on staff as we are very aware of the need to provide high quality service, with our goal to exceed expectations. Something, due to the product, we did not do this time. We value you your business and when you next visit Whangarei I do hope you can call in and ask for me so I can personally apologise.
Regards,