“Winter-perfect jumbo killer prawns”
Review of Killer Prawn

Killer Prawn
Ranked #40 of 130 Restaurants in Whangarei
Cuisines: New Zealand, Seafood, European
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“Winter-perfect jumbo killer prawns”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

On a cold drizzly winter evening, we chanced upon a restaurant that looked cozy. The fire place inside was so inviting. Surprised to notice a lot of patrons on a Wednesday evening --- not many local restaurants are as lucky. We ordered their signature dish --- killer prawns.

It came reasonably fast and piping hot. Serving size was big with enough prawns to satisfy our craving. The soup base was probably one of the best we've had in years. It was served with bread by a charming waitress.

The meal greatly contributed to a memorable evening.

• Visited July 2013

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Killer Prawns”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Above average food. Terrible service - the minute we walked in they were not the most accommodating - we felt very rushed - didn't enjoy the atmosphere. 33nzd for a seafood chowder that was average is ridiculous. I also took my 16 month old who is not noisey at all - he was colouring in and got excited and started laughing and was told by the manager to quiet down. Wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. Felt ripped off!

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Dannilamb84
Hamilton & Waikato Region, New Zealand
“Prawns - Yum!”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We arrived for dinner with friends and enjoyed a wonderful meal from a new menu (so we are told). We were not rushed which I really enjoy, lovely polite service and I couldn't believe my luck when I ordered Tempura prawns and ask if they could undress them (love prawns but really dislike looking at their eyes and head), requested and received without hesitation. My husband had the Lamb from the blackboard special and thought it was excellent. The atmosphere is casual and decorated with huge lightshades that are awesome!
Upstairs was another part of the restaurant where pizza is served, I like the idea of various eating areas with different style food. May have to try that one next visit to Whangarei.

• Visited December 2013
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Superb food”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This really was one of the tastiest meals we have ever had! The flavour balance, freshness of the seafood, and the accompaniments such as their own baked bread, made this meal a fantastic experience. We also enjoyed the somewhat quirky ambience and the great friendly service.

• Visited November 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“floury prawns?? cmon you can do better”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I have to say I expected more from a place that is named after prawns than to sell frozen floury prawns.. it looked great, the scallops were excellent but the signature dish was a big let-down. I actually walked in there after reading the menu outside only to find they had not gotten around to changing it and did not have what I wanted on the new menu. The owner/manager (?) seemed to "hover" watching my every move which was sort of weird too. It looks like you guys have a great restaurant but the small details let you down this time. I will try it again next month and see if you were just having a bad day...

Visited September 2013