“I had a lovely, lovely time”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Greymouth
Westway Homestay B&B
Ranked #9 of 16 Greymouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 July 2011

I stayed in the Greymouth area for five days and had a lovely, lovely time at Westway. The hosts couldn't have been more accommodating and charming and were happy to drive me in to Greymouth at one time to look around, and also took me to the nearby famous/infamous township of Blackball to explore the wonderful charcuterie shop there and also the atmospheric pub.

Westway is very comfortable - warm and clean and impeccably-run and maintained. It's also very homely and relaxed. One of the two hosts, Wayne, is a former chef so the food and wine was great. The setting is terrific as well. It looks down a small green valley which echoes softly to the sounds of native birds, especially the NZ bell bird. Everytime I think about my stay on the West Coast of NZ I think fondly bout Westway.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 March 2011

This is a little gem, furnished in traditional style. Beautifully quiet. We were 'looked after'
so well. Wayn'es cooking was excellent, and John was a perfect host we will be back.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2010

Reviews are all about personal opinions so I'll just say I disagree with the previous comments saying this place is pretty average. If this is average, then it's a very high average and I wish all places one visits could come up to this standard. I think when you visit places for the first time you look for flashes of character. It's easy enough to find lots of hotels and motels representing the standard model: comfortable but soulless. Westway has life and it's fun. John is great: informative, interesting and knowledgeable. Wayne is a card: he's droll and he's got a wickedly dry sense of humour. He cooks well and he takes pride in his cooking. I know people come back to Westway time and again, when they visit New Zealand, and that is surely the sign of a place offering a satisfying experience. My wife and I loved it and we'd recommend it to anyone visiting the Greymouth area.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2010

This is a fairly average homestay. John is very welcoming and interesting - Wayne is okay but rather antisocial at times and very to the point. This is not really an acceptable attitude we feel from the point of view of guests. Breakfast is not too bad, but hardly bounteous and cooking is average. You could do a lot better with a shop around. Plus point is that everything is clean and tidy.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank leboisCalvados
Reviewed 2 January 2010

This is the fourth time I have brought friends here so you can tell I am impressed by the hospitality and the service! A beautiful scenic ride on the TransAlpine from Christchurch, finished off by a wonderful relaxed stay with John & Wayne is a lovely break away for me as well as a great way to show off another part of New Zealand to different friends that come to visit me. John's knowledge and commentary of the Greymouth area and Wayne's delightful meals and personality are not to be missed or overlooked if you are heading to the West Coast. I would thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2009

We ( my husband, myself and a friend) had really nice stay with John and Wayne. We had a welcome dinner after a big day exploring the Blowholes (nearby) and the Seal Colony (a little further) . Greymouth is only 10 mins away but we didn't want to be in a town. The house has quite a history and is very interesting. The beds were comfortable, warm and cosy. The highlight for me was the garden exploration and the walk through the tunnel. The chickens were neat too. Pity they don't have a rooster I would have liked to hear them crow. I know my husband enjoyed the history and stories. I would definately recommend a stay, and would definately return. Thanks for a nice break.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Allforonenoneforall
Reviewed 9 August 2009

Westway Lodge Homestay is an extremely comfortable, interesting and relaxing place to stay (with it's own tunnel on site from coal mining days complete with glow worms, cave wetas, stream and waterfall !!). John is more than happy to relate the fascinating history of the Greymouth/Coast area and recommend places to visit. For nature lovers there are plenty of beautiful bushwalks, beaches, fresh air and quiet areas to enjoy. For those who would prefer to relax with a good book, Westway is like being in your own place with the added bonus of Wayne's great home cooking.
Although not large, the rooms are well appointed, clean and comfortable. And no need to worry about a West Coast winter (when I was there), the house and rooms are toasty warm.
Westway would suit couples, solo travellers and family groups. The boys' hospitality is renowned in the area and I hope that you will enjoy it as much as I did. Although a little off the main route, it is close to Greymouth and all the tourist sites of this part of the West Coast.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo