“Tired”

Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Greymouth
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Tired”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This place looks and feels tired. The lounge and kitchen were large but the furniture well worn and the kitchen sink was dirty. The bathroom had been upgraded and was very good, but obviously standing out from the apartment. A large bedroom with lots of storage. The restaurant was reasonable with acceptable food and wine list. The staff were helpful. Average at best overall.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Brora, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I travelled up the entire West Coast of the South Island and found some great places - sadly, of all the places I stayed in New Zealand this was the worst!! I had driven for about 12 hours - it was late and I had no-where booked in Greymouth - I found this place on the 'front' and it looked ok on the outside and reception was fine! There was parking at the rear too. The empty bar and restaurant (on a Friday night) should have been enough of a clue as to what lay beyond!! I wandered around looking for a drink and it appeared I was actually the only person there! The barman was friendly - but was cashing up so I settled for some chilled water from a dispenser in the hall.
The bedroom was like a cell....although relatively spacious the grey walls combined with the horrible mould and damp marks on the ceiling above the bed, dated and faded 70's bedspreads, a filthy stained carpet and the pipe work for the fire safety system like veins around the room all made it feel depressing and grubby. The glass in the 'window' to the balcony was cracked right the way across, the paintwork on the windows and the balcony door were badly in need of repair and as the only window I could open was at floor level...I decided to brave breathing the stale air of the room. The bathroom (which the receptionist told me had been 'renovated') was nice but not finished well and very small.....and the the window had clearly not been included in the revamp with a broken security chain - and as a female travelling alone AND as it opened on to the balcony I was not happy to leave it open. There were some good points - there were 2 double beds in the room - and the bedlinen appeared clean and fresh and the white fluffy towels and selection of toiletries were lovely - the staff on reception were pleasant and helpful. I spoke to the woman on duty in the morning and told her that if I hadn't been so tired and it hadn't been so late when I arrived I would have left and found somewhere else to stay. She was really pleasant and helpful and told me she had worked there for a long time and although they were undergoing a renovation programme.... It appears the company had spent a considerable amount of money already........however I don't think it matters how big the flat screen TV is - or how nice the bathroom if the rest of the room is dingy and in need of repair. The other annoying thing was although there was free wifi it is only accessible in the lobby.......!! Do not stay here - I stayed in much better places where for similar amounts had lovely accommodation with breakfast included!! They need to refurb the bedrooms as well as the bathrooms and do urgent repairs to broken windows etc.

Room Tip: find somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Greymouth hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Spending a girls weekend away with my sister we made our way from Christchurch to Greymouth, stopping in Hanmer Springs on the way for a massage. The hotel is very dated, the onsite parking is very limited, and the internet ridiculously expensive ($1 per MB), but those things I wouldn't actually mind so much. Our problem from start to finish, was the service. We arrived around 7.30pm to an empty reception and no bell in order to alert someone to our arrival. Five minutes later the receptionist arrives and seemed distracted. After giving her my credit card and whilst holding it in her hand, she asked me for my credit card. Then on handing it back to me she says, 'here's your room key." After correcting herself, she gave me my actual room key and then turned to walk away. As this was my first visit to the hotel and it is multi storey building, so they clearly have more than one room, I had to ask her the obvious question, "well hang on, where do I go to get to my room ..?" Dragging bags, no less. Go figure. This was our haphazard introduction to the hotel.

Having finally checked in and deciding easier to eat on site, we ventured to the restaurant just before 8pm. A buffet is advertised for Saturday evenings and runs from 6pm to 9pm, so we had plenty of time. Our Maitre d greeted us and seated us, and warned us as they were letting a group of 19 in straight after us, that we shouldn't delay getting our meals and that they would take care of us in the restaurant for our beverages. Seemed fair enough so we took that advice and went straight to sample the main dishes. The mains were, in short, were below average. Both the pork and lamb were cooked within an inch of their life so very very dry. Even at 8pm, most of the one vegetable dish was gone and tasteless anyway. Perhaps that was what the large dishes of rice and noodles were for? Our waitress turned up shortly thereafter to check if we needed drinks and after being fairly lax in her knowledge of what they did offer for beverages, after delivering that round, we never saw her or any other wait staff back at our table for the remainder of the evening to ask if we wanted another drink, clear our table, nothing ....

After that sub-standard first course, I thought perhaps dessert may save it so I went up to the dessert bar to see what was on offer to report back to my sister. This was about 8.15pm and I found on offer was an empty fruit salad bowl, one slice of pavlova, one very small piece of chessecake, the scrapings on the bottom of a bowl of what I later found out was at one stage chocolate mousse, and about a third of a bowl of whipped cream. Slim pickings and by the time I walked back to our table to report to my sister on what I'd found, the last piece of cheesecake and pav were gone. On the, what turned out to be, mistaken, assumption the dessert bar would be refilled, we waited ... and watched .. and waited. We watched while the staff brought out another fruit bowl and cleared all of the other empty bowls. Eventually, the staff brought out a plate of cheesecake and it seemed other diners were simply having fruit salad, and if they were lucky, eventually, a piece of cheesecake too. By 8.40pm and no sign that they were filling up the rest of the dessert bar, I asked the waiter when they would be bringing out the pav and mousse. To which he replied, they weren't, as they had none left. I questioned this further with him and he confirmed there was no more pav and no more mousse. When the buffet goes to 9pm and dessert is the end of the meal, how can the dessert offerings be reduced to just fruit salad by 8.15pm? It turns out the diner next to us had the same complaint and was bringing this up with the Maitre D. They came to speak to us and when I explained what we'd seen over the last 20 minutes, the Maitre D then tells us, its our fault. She told us we should have let them know that it needed to be filled so that they could know we hadn't had dessert. I'm sorry?! I thought I was paying for a whole buffet, not part of it and, it is a buffet not al a carte! If the staff can manage to remove the empty dessert platters, why should they not refill them? What made this even more ridiculous was that we were then offered a piece of pav each to placate us and take back to our room. Magically, it seems there was indeed pav left, despite what the waiter had just told me. You would think if they had intentionally chosen not to refill the dishes and instead tell customers there was no dessert left, they should at least coordinate their stories...

Suffice to say, very unhappy with the service and the standard of the food generally, particularly for the price you have to pay. Didn't receive our whole buffet meal and explained our dissatisfaction with this to the staff at the time. Our fellow diner also made it known to the manager on the front desk, who noted down both our room numbers. We assumed, this was so that they would discount our bill accordingly on checkout, but, no, that was not the case. We had to explain to the receptionist on checkout what had happened and whilst she appeared to sympathise with us, no discount had been arranged on the system, nor could it be made without management approval. To her credit, she did offer us breakfast or a cup of coffee for our journey, but after the poor quality of our dinner and the service from staff the night before, we were not prepared to repeat that scenario and already decided McDonalds breakfast was the more reliable option. We had to pay in full for the buffet ($65.50 for the two of us including a glass of soft drink each, thanks very much) but were told the manager would be in touch regarding our complaint. (We've heard no further from the hotel).

I travel regularly for work and leisure and have stayed in hotels all around NZ (including others in the MCK group) and the world. I've also eaten in a wide range of restaurants. In short, this isn't good enough and improvements are needed. I know Greymouth has limited accommodation and restaurant options, but I also know, I will not be staying here again. Suffice to say, it was such a shame as it was the one disappointing element of what was otherwise a very enjoyable weekend in the South.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JP1592014
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We were so disappointed here! The rooms are dated, small, smelly, no outlook from the room we stayed in, and no lift only stairs! We saw the odd staff member but weren't impressed with them either, the receptionist was very gruff, the housekeeper came to before our checkout in the morning, and the shuttle driver was non committal! Overall a very poor example of a Hotel in our opinion. No redeeming feature for us at all!

Room Tip: don't select a room in the main building of the hotel!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

The rooms are clean and tidy and the hotel is very handy for the station and car hire pick up/drop off but the best thing about Kingsgate Hotel is the staff. Without them this hotel would have very few redeeming qualities. Having said that, we had our evening meal and a few drinks in the open air courtyard which was a good place to relax at the end of a busy day.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to a suite for not too much extra.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue N
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This is just a basic hotel. The room was very small compared to others we have stayed in in N Zealand. It was clean and reasonably decorated. The bathroom was tired and the grouting, sealant is old and discoloured in place. One of the sink taps had chips in the enamel. It is on the edge of the town centre overlooking the estuary. Greymouth itself is fairly run down with little to do. We stayed there just to catch the Transalpine Railway to Christchurch. The hotel was probably about a 5 minute walk from the railway station so well placed

Room Tip: They offer rooms on 2 levels or in a tower block. Your choice
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Christchurch
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Great value for money, very clean, & friendly staff. We stayed overnight while travelling on Tranz Alpine. Very quick service at dinner, which was fantastic as Master one was Hungry. Breakfast (included in room rate) had good variety, was fresh and again staff were attentive.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family