“Value for money good for families or travelling through”

Charles Court Motel
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Greymouth
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I like the fact that you can park right outside your door so you dont have to lug all your suitcases and gear. Very convenient location if you have a car and easy to find. Good family spot with pool for summer, BBQS, games area and flying fox. we got upgraded to a room with spa bath as there were 3 of us but be warned there is only enough hot water for one bath - I guess you have to wait an hour or so for the water to reheat and we didnt have that much time.
Very comfortable accommodation and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 December 2013

We spent one night here before our train ride at Greymouth the next day. The room had a double bed, with very flat pillows, and a single bed for the two of us. The kitchen facilities were great, so we cooked our own dinner that night after driving out to the supermarket which was about 5 minutes out. Greymouth itself is just about an 8 minute drive away but there isn't much to do or eat there. The beach behind the motel is really wild, with the Tasman Sea pounding on its shores. The night we were there, it rained and the sound of the wind was quite scary.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We checked in late the previous night, at about 8.30pm. The next day, we couldn't finish packing our luggages on time, and called in the reception to ask for an extension which we were willing to pay. To our disappointment, the motel staff was NOT helpful at all. She insisted that we have to MOVE OUT this INSTANT as someone else is checking in to our room (note that the check in time is 2pm, and when we called to asked for extension, it was 10.30pm and we just needed the room till 11pm).

As a so called four star motel, my husband and I were super disappointed with the service. The staff did not give us any alternative, not only that, she came to bang on our door to CHASE us out very hostilely. Much too unprofessional. Last time I will ever be staying with them, and rest assured I will do everything in my power spread these negative remarks around.

Anyway, room itself is dark and not well maintained. I wouldn't at all come back here anymore even if it's free.

• Stayed: December 2013
Rachel466, Owner at Charles Court Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Our check out time is 10.00am you asked to stay longer and I gave you to 10.30am I came down at 10.40 and as I had previous stated to you that we were waiting to clean your room you said you would be out in 5min but you took a further 15min There was no hostility from me at all other than I knocked on your door to see how much longer you were going to be as I had already giving you extra time, we had a prearranged early check in and the room needed to be cleaned for our next guests which I explained to you, our check in time is 2pm and if prearranged you can check in earlier which you were welcome to do if you had of requested a late check out when you checked in this could have been arranged also I would have put you in a different unit that was not pre booked.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

We had a long drive form Wellington through Punakaiki to Greymouth, on 10th Nov, as per plan and chose to stay there as it's part of the Golden chain of motels, usually good from our NZ experience. We checked in late by 6PM and they gave us a good room in the back of the building away form the road. Rooms were big enough, the kitchen spacious with adequate gizmos to cook anything you want. Bathroom was spacious, clean and all round we had a nice sleep with the heater heating in up. Strangely, we checked up the lady at the reception about Haast being open and she was not sure!! The internet worked OK, so we checked up status of the pass on the net, it was OK. The yard at the back had access to beach and high watch tower with a zip line, kids need to be supervised up there. When we were up on the tower next day morning, we spotted a couple of rabbits doing rounds on the grounds, the views from the tower to the beach and surrounding area was good. Place is at the end of the town, so you'd need transportation if you want to move around. We were happy to spend the night there.

Room Tip: Room away form the road would ensure a quieter sleep, not much traffic on the road anyway :)
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Rachel466, Owner at Charles Court Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Thank you for your review, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, I am sorry we were away during your stay, we are not having anymore problems with the Haast pass, I didn't think to tell our minder this, normally we have all information on all roads to keep our guests well informed, hope to meet you next time. Kind regards Rachel.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

A small playground behind but seems quite dangerous and a bit eerie to me. All made from woods and it reminds me of horror movies, lol. A beach which is not recommended for swimming is just behind one of the rooms. Easy to access. We heard the sound of waves throughout the night which is quite scary as it is very loud, seems like getting nearer and nearer. However, depends which room you get. Cooking facilities available and I like it the most. Can just cook and enjoy hot food inside the room when the weather is very cold. The motel is along the main road. Not near to town though. The attraction they recommended to me - Punakaiki beach which is abt 40 mins' drive from the motel. We couldn't enjoy the scenery after arrived as it was raining heavily. Only taken few pics from our car.

The only con: Very small heater in room, still feel very cold even after ON for hours.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We were slightly disappointed to find this so far out of town, as we were not picking up our car until the next day. However, Rachel was very helpful, ringing the car hire place and arranging an earlier pickup for us. As well, she told us that the Haast pass was closed, as we did not know this. She rearranged our helicoptor flight for us, and recommended a place to eat. When we had to return for another night, she gave us a bigger room at no extra cost. She went over and above what I would have expected, and although the rooms were nothing flash, they were clean and comfortable. I would recommend this to a family travelling in NZ.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Motel is 6 kl out of town on the way in from the glaciers but close to shanty town (worth the visit) rooms are large and motel is being upgraded. Well equipped easy parking & staff great and they . Recommended top pub just down the road for tea. Laundry coin operated And Wifi limit to 1hour free but this was standard in most of the motels we stayed at.good place to stay with kids has great play ground and pool.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple