“A cracker of a place”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 April 2013

A fussy coleague recomended this place. Her recomendation started with, "Don't be put off by the appearence, the food is great. To be fair the appearance is not that bad. You do have to go past the pokies etc, and the ambiance in the dining room is fine, just not that memorable.

However the food is fantastic. My campanion had particular dietry issues, but the menu offered him choice. He did not need to ask for special treatment. I had the best Tuna meal I had ever had. The perfectly cooked tuna was accompanied by a lovely fresh salad. There were no "but" about anything.

The meal was reasonably priced and the service was friendly and efficient. This is a great place to dine.

1  Thank NZMike57

Reviewed 19 April 2013

Were unsure what to expect walking into bar attached to the restaurant but very pleasantly surprised. Lots of choice although I decided to order my favourite, fish and chips. I will talk about the size of the serving for the rest of my life. It came with four large pieces of fish (cooked perfectly) and more chips than anyone human could eat. They weren't the best chips (I find NZ chips are all fairly generic not not that tasty) but the portion was probably cut from 18 potatoes. I ate and ate and it didn't look like I touched them. Either way it was great.
Oh and my wife ordered the schnitzel, it could have fed an army.

1  Thank TheSassafrassquatch
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Do not be put off with the entrance, this is an excellent place to dine. I had the tuna, it was fresh off the boat and cooked in rock salt and paprika, This was the best cooked and nicest tuna I have ever eaten, thank you to the chef once again.

The young waitress was very professional, friendly and passionate about what was on the menu, I highly recommend this none pretentious restaurant to anyone visiting Greymouth. Thank you Olly's.

1  Thank Terry O
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Had the pleasure of eating here recently and the food was excellent, each plate at my table was delivered perfectly, great friendly service, I had the lamb rack which was perfectly seasoned and cooked, well balanced meal

1  Thank Pisces_WC
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Dinner with a friend at his restaurant within the Railway Hotel. The approach could be daunting to some, through a very busy local bar and TAB (betting) area but once within, the space is comfortable.
Our shared starter of stuffed button mushrooms was excellent. but my rack of lamb, ordered medium rare to medium arrived blue (and cold) in the middle, restricting the amount of it I could eat. My guest got the wrong dish altogether - a stir fry instead of the warm beef salad with noodles. We had ordered late so didn't bother to send it all back.

This is a halfway attempt at fine dining, but just misses, sadly.

1  Thank RichardSS39