See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 March 2017

If you have the right expectations when booking a stay at this hotel you will have an enjoyable stay.

The bad: The lodge is an old house (in need of some renovation) and with only one bathroom for several rooms. Also the rooms do have a damp smell.

The good: The owner is really friendly and welcoming, the dog Jack is lovely, the internet is great (for New Zealand), plenty of space in the lounge and kitchen for everyone to do their thing without getting on top of each other. Cheap!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2016 via mobile

We were shocked upon arrival to discover this place wasn't at all as advertised! At best it's a home stay as everything is shared, toilet/bathroom, kitchen etc
The room we were to stay in had a really old an musty smell and very old bedding, the floors had not been vacuumed or room aired out! The bathroom had cobwebs and spider insects and spots of mould on the ceiling! We decided not to stay and found a better an a lot cleaner self contained unit in greymouth for very little more in cost! Please note this place was about 10 mins out of greymouth.
On the bright side the owners were very nice and understanding when we decided to vacate early!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2016 via mobile

We stayed one night between the glaciers and Christchurch and highly recommend! The beds were comfortable, the rooms were clean, and our hosts were so welcoming. I had to have a package delivered there and they even held it for me no problem! The wifi worked well and the kitchen was spacious and clean.

Stayed: December 2016
Reviewed 5 October 2016

First impression of this hostel is good. Friendly and welcoming host, nice big room. Cosey kitchen with woodlog fire and freerange eggs to use for donation.

The other first thing I notice when stepping in the house however is an overwhelming stuffy smell. I am not sure where it comes from but the whole house smells like it and it really did spoil an enjoyable night sleep for me because it is just so noticable when you fall asleep .I also woke up with a sore throat, presumably as a result from having to breath it in all night.

The kitchen itself is cosey and has everything you need. Another stove (there is one) and more bench space would be very welcome, if I would change anything. As the family (of 4?) who also lives here uses the same kitchen for their family meals. So you will get in eachothers way and you will have to wait to cook your meal sometimes. But this is not a huge problem if you are aware of it. What really does need to change from my point of view is the cleanliness of the kitchen. It's not like everything has to be squeeky clean all the time but mouse droppings in the pots&pans cupboard, dust and grease in the windowsills and other surfaces, wet teatowels, used dishes and foods that are lying around. It is just a bit too much. I don't mind a bit messy. But dirty and messy are two different things and I need things to be clean where I cook.

The bathroom and toilet are good, there is also a bath which we didn't use but cool to have the option. No huge cleanliness issues here. I did search forever for the lightswitch :P

The room itself was big and seemed clean. Nothing out of the ordinary. Heater provided.

In the morning to our surprise we had a little lamb walk into the kitchen looking for food. It was an orphan that is raised by the family. Supercute! This hostel is a bit of a mix between a homestay and a hostel because the family does have their own living area but also uses parts of the house that are communal areas of the hostel. It gives it a nice homely feel.

Overall. I would stay here again. If: The smell gets handled and the kitchen gets cleaned up. As it is no, it is a one time off for me. Which I really find a pity because the place has such a nice vibe to it and so much potential. It is a good option if you are looking for a place to stay near Greymouth but in a more country outdoorsy setting. Like the concept, does need to change.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2016

we stayed in Brunnerton for a night, all of us wished we could have stayed longer! Has all the basic amenities, nice warm cosy rooms and a lovely garden with wonderful views. Quaint and quirky place would love to come back !

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends