All reviews the kitchen hot water bottles double room bird song shared bathroom nice deck beds were comfortable pots and pans stay there again view of the ocean tea and coffee main road friendly owners road trip short stay a great stay lovely place
Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

I stayed 4 nights in the hostel and it was lovely . The place is a bit far from city center but so nice . You can get bicycle to go to city . If you have your one car you can park easy there . The owner couple are very friendly and helpful. You can see and feel they like to run this hostel .

Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
BirdsongHokitikaYHA, Owner at Birdsong Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2018

Yes I love my job...no two days are ever the same. Having traveled ourselves it is a pleasure to help others enjoy their experience which is a once in a lifetime opportunity for most. Thanks for your kind response.

Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

My partner and I arrived late afternoon and immediately were greeted by a big “welcome” shout and smile from Neil (owner) sitting behind his desk at reception!

We were meant to be staying in a 4 bed dorm but were upgraded to the Fantail room, which was a private double bedroom (I’m guessing it was ‘cause they weren’t busy, which made it a lovely gesture).
Neil showed us to our room and then the rest of their quaint, cosy hostel (obviously with a few good British sense of humour jokes, which being English ourselves was awesome).

The room was small (more than enough room for a short stay) but cosy and had waist to ceiling windows looking out onto a well maintained garden, to my memory they didn’t have mosquito nets on them, maybe that’s something that could be looked into .
We both slept really well and the hostel was clean and tidy with a complimentary herb garden, tea and coffee as well as a very well equipped kitchen.

The hosts were lovely

Advice to people who have a problem with their stay... tell the hosts, don’t just stay and not give an opportunity to rectify there and then, unless you just want to be a moaner on TA!

Have a pleasant stay

Jake and Laura

Stayed: November 2017
BirdsongHokitikaYHA, Owner at Birdsong Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2017

Hi there,

We really enjoyed reading your comment and it's great to know that we are still approachable humans who are more than willing to listen.

Thanks for taking the time to post the review!
Kerry and Neil

Reviewed 9 November 2017

Great reception, great people, clean, comfortable, homely, safe with everything you need. Really good atmosphere from the moment you arrive with the most amazing host who cannot do enough coupled with his brilliant sense of humour! Definitely a 'Super Host' - Perfect. The room had a great view, nice and warm, comfy and there was everything you needed for the bathroom - kitchen was wonderful. One of the best places I have stayed in.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Birdsongbackpackers, Owner at Birdsong Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2017

Neil loves sharing his jokes and I am pleased he entertained you! Thanks for the fab review!

Reviewed 23 May 2017

What a good atmosphere! This hostel doesn't feel like a hostel but more like a lovely home. Super clean, best hostel kitchen I have seen! The owner is very friendly. Our room was amazing and the views are really good as well! If we would come back to Hokitika we would definitely stay at Birdsong again.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Birdsongbackpackers, Owner at Birdsong Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2017

We've just repainted and the place is sparkling. Many thanks for your positive feedback! See you next time.

Reviewed 22 May 2017

We stayed at Birdsong at a last minute decision. The Host Neil was very accommodating and interesting to talk to. He gave us great recommendations for our road trip. We love getting recommendations from the locals. Our room was warm and clean, check in and out was very simple. Over all we had a great stay.

I discovered a month after I had stayed at birdsong that I left some very expensive camping equipment while I was there. I called up and they had it ready for me. They went out of their way to ship it back to me. I was thankful beyond words.
Knowing that you and your stuff is safe when staying at a place is huge to us. Which is another reason I couldn't recommend this place more.
Thanks again Neil!!!!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends

So pleased to hear that you had such great service. Many Thanks!