“Valuable Motel”

Christchurch, New Zealand
“Valuable Motel”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

- friendly staff
- locate in the city center
- next to grow worm cave
- warm bedroom
- small kitchen, but full cooking equipment
- great view

don't like
- The bathroom's door couldn't open sometime.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
frankee55, Owner at 252 Beachside Motels & Holiday Park, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review we appreciate it very much.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Friendly welcome. Tidy motels with plenty of parking. We liked the fact that the living area was a good size for a two bedroom motel as we had stayed in one in greymouth that couldn't fit the six of us in the living area. Kitchen was a bit small but well equipped. Lovely quiet spot with beach very handy which the kids loved. We had done the wilderness trail on our bikes and they happily stored our bikes securely which was great.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for leaving a review of our motel we appreciate you kind words and glad you enjoyed the West Coast Wilderness Trail.
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

On arrival Brian was very friendly and knowledgable about the local area and made lots of helpful suggestions. We did not however realise until after checking in that the camper van site was basically a car park with no views despite the beautiful beach being a stones throw away. The communal eating area was practically opposite our pitch and people started chatting loudly over breakfast at 06.30! Whilst Hokitika is well placed for local activities this site was not for us, but had free wifi which was welcomed.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sorry you had a noisy experience here at our Campervan Park it is small and some people have no idea they are making so much noise. Yes it is a compact hard stand site but when we have a heavy rain shower here on the west coast it is a blessing as the water drains very quickly and there are no broken bones from people slipping on wet grass. We are called Beachside Motels and are very clear in our advertising that we are adjacent to the beach but have no beach views so am sorry you were disappointed with our little patch but had you come back to the office and told us you were unhappy we would have gladly refunded your camp fee. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review it clarifys things for other travellers.
Picton, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I told the truth to Brian about my miniature fox terrier sleeping with me and asked if that was acceptable to which he said yes but don't tell my wife. I offered to bring sheets and he said not to as the sheets weren't theirs and they were laundered. I asked again was he sure it would be ok and he said yes. I phoned again from Christchurch to say I would be late and he was most pleasant. On arrival Adele said Brian told her about the dog sleeping with me and I was not allowed a motel under these circumstances. Adele said it was disgusting to sleep with dogs plus more comments.I was stunned by her rudeness. I didn't argue or make a scene. This was my first trip back to the coast since my husband passed away who was a Coaster. I live in Picton and I was a long way from home. This shattered me and I am still upset.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Toodles9
Adele D, Owner at 252 Beachside Motels & Holiday Park, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Brian and I are very distressed by this review that you have left. We agree that Brian (who by the way was sympathetic to your story of your husbands death and that you were coming over with your dog who was with your husband when he died your story left him feeling sorry for you and this was his mistake - he was thinking with his heart not his head when he said the dog could sleep with you. It wasnt until Brian told me of your intentions that he realized his error of judgement and by then it was too late to contact you. When you arrived I suggested that yes by all means stay - either leave the dog in the car or make a bed up on the floor and your reply was "I cant gaurantee that" - that was what ended our discussion - you left me absolutely no option. I never once said and I repeat never said that sleeping with your dog is disgusting so please lets clear that up. I felt sorry for you - you are obviously grieving for your husband and you love your dog as a child I understand that but this is our livelihood and yes we are pet friendly but with rules and you made the decision not to abide by the rules. I hope in the future you can look back on this and put yourself in our position - your are welcome and your dog anytime as long as you bring its bed or leave it in the car. We have had many happy travellers who have done just that and enjoyed their time at 252 Beachside - one rule for all.
Guadeloupe
Reviewed 21 March 2014

This small town has few hotels, arriving in the evening, not easy to find vacancy. We were lucky, when we want to the hotel, the owner was receiving a cancellation call and he gave us the room. Guided us for the local tour.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rangassamy L
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our motel. Glad you enjoyed our Cool Little Town of Hokitika.
London
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I stayed here with my wife around a month ago, just for one night. We stayed in the budget studio. The room was cheap and basic. But not in a bad way - it was the cheapest place we stayed on our trip, and this was reflected in the facilities and decor, but it was absolutely fine. It was spotlessly clean and quiet - we slept very well, which was what we needed after some long driving. Brian was very helpful pointing out places to visit in the local area. It's also very close to the sea, and an area with glow worms.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mobciral
Thanks for the review on our budget studio, actually a lot of people like that room even though its not our best it is very quiet and comfortable in there with a good shower flat screen tv on the wall so you can lie in bed and enjoy your programme. Cooking facilities limited but you can cook a basic meal.
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Brian and Adele were very helpful and friendly right from the time of booking and until we left. Brian advised the appropriate sized unit for our party of 4, lots of local information was offered including updates about the bike trail, Adele kindly helped with our vehicle location from Kumara so we could do the full loop back to Hokitika via Cowboy Paradise, and very thoughtfully they heated the spa for us to soak in on our return! We heartily recommend this accommodation to any others planning to stay in Hokitika,especially if they intend
to bike the West Coast bike
trail.

• Stayed March 2014
frankee55, Owner at 252 Beachside Motels & Holiday Park, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Thank you Jill for taking the time to leave a review of our Motel you know its really easy to cater for nice people ..