“Very relaxed, very inspiring.”

Kaikoura Snorkeling Tours
Reviewed 31 March 2011

My friends and I went snorkeling with "Kaikoura Snorkeling Tours" this past month. We were so glad to have done it. Our guide was very helpful and very knowledgeable.

We had all snorkeled before so we didn't need a lot of help. Our guide seemed comfortable with us rooting around on our own. We were so impressed with his skills, he caught a paua, crayfish and one huge butterfish (all measured and legal). He expertly prepared all three for a wonderful feast at the end of our snorkeling tour. He was very personable and seemed passionate about snorkeling.

We had a great experience and we felt safe. If you're in the area check them out.

Reviewed 1 April 2009

When we got to Kaikoura we were not sure which activity to choose as there were quite a few on offer, but in the end we definitely made the best choice. Neither me nor my boyfriend had done any snorkeling before so we were a bit nervous but it was great, the guide was so nice and helpful and it was obvious that he had a real
passion for his job.
It was a really nice experience watching the fish swimming around and even a few seals which we got to see really up close!
We even got the opportunity to catch some paua ourselves and the guide dived down about 10 meters to catch some crayfish, it was so cool to watch. He caught about 3 really big ones and speared some butterfish too.
Afterward he cooked us up the most delicious seafood barbeque I have ever eaten. It was unbelievable value the meal we ate probably would have cost us $100NZ but we had only paid 85$ for the 3.5 hour trip.

1  Thank lolabun
Reviewed 30 December 2008

A tour with Kaikourua Snorkeling Tours was for me the best thing I did in Kaikoura- I discovered beautiful sea life, including various plants, fish, crayfish and Paua. And, though not part of the tour, it was great to have a seal swimming with us! For me it was a great experience, and I have snorkeled in many other places before.

The guide (unfortunately I forgot his name) was very well organised, explained a lot about the local maritime life and provided every necessary gear. He adjusted the trip to each person individually, as well for first time snorkelers as well for experienced persons. So everyone in the group had the opportunity to discover the area at his own pace.

For me this meant that I got a weight belt and could dive down and look into holes in the rocks, a first time snorkeler and not very experienced swimmer in the group could hold on a board on the surface and watch sea life securely from above.

I was impressed, how the guide catched three fish with a spear, it was pretty cool to watch that! If there would have been more experienced snorkelers maybe we could have tried ourselves, but I appreciated the guide's decision not to give us the spear since he had had us practice before and we shot a bit uncontrolled...but we helped to put the fish and crayfish into the bag which was difficult enough.

After the trip we enjoyed a barbeque with the fish and crayfish he had catched, which was really really good. This was a perfect trip, I had so much fun and couldn't have wished for more - I would highly recommend this to other travellers!

2  Thank Patti_unterwegs