“Wants to go back”

Ranked #11 of 32 Kaikoura B&B and Inns
New Zealand
“Wants to go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for my birthday trip with my hubby and two dogs for a couple of nights.

Very nice and quiet location. Spotlessly clean.
Breakfast was so good. View was fantastic, you cann see snowed mountain one side and ocean the other.

Alison let our dogs stay in a bedroom with us, which was really good. Otherwise, we would've been worried. Walnut, Alison's dog, loved to play with our dogs. One of my dogs can be a bit upset with terriers but Walnut was very friendly with him.

I can't wait to go back there again. Also, my hubby as he caught a giant eel and big 9 kawais by surfcasting in Kaikoura.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Chirstchurch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

A group of us stayed with Alison on a recent long weekend. The weekend was made so much better by being able to bring our dogs. Alison was so welcoming to us and our fur kids, we felt totally at home there. And in addition, the rooms were a great size with french doors to outside, a BBQ and the views! The only downside was the huge breakfasts - very hard to motivate yourself with a full tummy. This will be our first choice of accomodation the next time we are staying in Kaikoura.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012 via mobile

We stayed in this lovely b @ b we had 2 double rooms, the rooms are lovely with a great view, breakfast was 10/10 best breakfast we had so far, we would definitely stay here again, we had electric blankets that was a treat, we were still close to the shops just 5 min drive but the country feeling was great.

• Stayed November 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

I found this place not only lovely to stay at (view, rural setting) but really welcoming. Alison was really lovely and she was so sweet to my dog (able to sleep in my room with me) which made me happy and relaxed. I absolutely recomend this to any travellers but especially animal lovers (a variety here you can visit), it's not often you are honestly and enthusiastically welcomed when travelling with your four-legged best friend. The breakfast was fit for royalty (yum!) and Alison was great company to chat with. Overall, the perfect combination of feeling relaxed (that we kiwis love) but also pampered with your own ensuite etc. All positive from me!

Room Tip: I only looked at and took the single room - roomy room with TV, two single beds with ensuite. This r...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

I stayed a week here and plan to go back some time..The setting is out in the country and in the morning I went out on my deck and watched the horses running in the field. In one direction I could see the snowcapped mountains and in the other, the ocean. It was a short walk down to the beach and a short drive into town. There is a very large lounge area for guests, which opens onto a patio area with comfortable chairs and views. The rooms are spiffy and pleasant with attention to detail.

Alison is a wonderful hostess, cooks a fantastic breakfast. I think I gained a couple of kilos just from eating it. She was a very helpful arranging tours and giving me some tips about Kaikoura . I was there with my dog,a Leonberger, who also gives it high marks . Very relaxing and welcoming. I recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

My Dad,, dog & I stayed at Awatea for 2 great nights. I only wish we could have stayed longer. Alison is really helpful and a great host (and good cook!) who has a good knowledge of Kaikoura and all the wonderful things it has to offer. I would definately stay here again when I get the chance. Thanks for the great time Alison.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Neston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

My husband & I and my sister stayed here as part of our New zealand touring holiday. Alison was a wonderful host and made us feel really at home. The rooms were delightful with patio doors to the garden area. The views were spectacular - over the mountains and the garden area was peaceful and tranquil. Alison gives her guests the freedom to come and go as they please, making full use of the kitchen and lunge areas.
Awatea is a real home from home in very high standard accommodation. We loved it and wished we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family