“Beautiful views of the moutains”

Heritage Court Motor Lodge
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Kaikoura
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
“Beautiful views of the moutains”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

We loved the managers, very friendly and welcoming, loved the view of the mountains, loved the kids play area. The rooms were a little small but the facilities top notch. the grounds are lovely but it is a little way from the main part of Kaikoura. It is on the highway however noise wasn't an issue.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Hokitika
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

The motel was OK but the plug socket in the bedroom had seen better days and did not work so therefore the bedside lights did not. Cleaning in detail needed attention especially around the skirting boards! Helpful and pleasant staff.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

Couldn't ask for more for the price. Friendly, helpful staff and clean well presented accommodation. A quite beautiful view of the mountains from the back windows and deck. Close enough to town to be convenient but just far enough to enjoy the serenity of the surroundings.

Room Tip: Pay the extra $10 or so for the mountain views.

Kurow, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

The motel was indeed very clean and everything you needed was there. Plenty of towels for the three of us and I found the manager very nice and helpful. We only stayed 2 nights but would certainly stay there again when going back to Kaikoura.

Inverurie, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

We were looking for a clean and inexpensive motel in Kaikoura but could
not find one when we asked at the I-site building. we drove along the road going out of town and found a perfect one in the Colonial Motel. the
motel had changed hands a short time before and was having an upgrade but it was very clean and much cheaper than we expected. The
lady in charge was very nice and helpfull. Would reccommend it .

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

This motel was very very good and the managers were excellent and most accomodating .
i was , at first a littel concerned as the other reviews certainly did not read well at all , so i rang the motel before arriving --letting them know of my concerns !!
they indicated to me that the reviews were posted on the previous managers and they , themselves had only been there for a month as managers .
they could not do anything about those bad reviews as it was posted on the web page . they reassured me that the motel is not like the reviews and we will be happy there .

this motel was very very good -- very affordable and the motel was very clean -- the bed and mattress was excellent -- the shower was absolutely also very good .
management were very very professional and pleasant .--- nothing was a problem at all .
we will be back there to stay for sure .
many many thanks

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anna-maria c
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

Had we read the reviews on this site, we never would have booked at this motel. There is a valid reason why it is ranked 19th out of 19 and that is because of the extremely rude and aggressive owner. While on holiday recently, my partner and I accidentally double-booked ourselves. However, we discovered our mistake quickly and I rang the Colonial Court Motel (13minutes after the online booking had been made) to see if we were able to cancel our booking. I explained the situation to the lady who answered the phone, stating we had just booked online and could we cancel the booking. She looked on the computer to see if the booking had come through yet, said it had just come through and said there is no problem in canceling. I asked if there is anything else I needed to do and she said no. I then said "So our credit card won't be charged?" and she said "No, the booking has been cancelled." When we returned from holiday a few days later, I looked at our bank statement only to find we had been charged for the night at the Colonial Court. I then rang them up immediately, explained the situation and asked for my money back. The person who answered the phone said he would get hold of his mother and get her to sort it out, so could I ring back in 10 minutes. I rang back about 15 minutes later and a man answered the phone. I again said who I was and he was aggressive and rude immediately. He said he gets phone calls like this every day and how does he know that I actually rang and cancelled the booking - he said as far as he was concerned we were a no show and the room remained empty for the night. I was a bit taken aback by his abusive attitude and tried again to explain that I had done the right thing, had been told it had been cancelled and had we not been able to cancel we would have come as we wouldn't want to loose our money. He said because I didn't remember the name of the person who answered the phone then he doesn't know for sure that I rang, he also said that I should have asked for the owner, which was him. He claimed to have 3 ladies that worked for him as cleaners that could have answered the phone - a point I disputed as surely the cleaners don't have access to the email booking system. The conversation went on for about 15minutes, with the owner being extremely rude, interrupting and being aggressive to me the whole time. In the end he said he would try and find out from the 3 ladies if any of them took my call but he said he can't see any of them saying they did. He said he would get back to me. The following day I emailed the motel (attention the owner) with the exact time of the phone call (from my phone records). I also provided my phone numbers again as I had not heard back I wanted to ensure he had the correct numbers. I still have not heard back from him (over 2 weeks later). My partner also rang the motel to talk to the owner and was given the number of another motel they own and spoke to his wife. She said she did not know about the situation but said she would sort something out and get back to us. Again, we have not heard from them. I find it unbelievable that someone so rude and aggressive can own a motel, which is essentially based around having a rapport with people, and yet he treats people terribly (as reiterated in other reviews). This is one experience I never want to repeat and recommend for anyone that wants to be treated with respect - stay away from this motel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Kaikoura hotels