“Good spot for breakfast”
Review of Cafe Encounter

Cafe Encounter
Ranked #6 of 58 Restaurants in Kaikoura
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cafe open 0700 to 1700 does breakfasts, lunches afternoon teas. Phone 033196777
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Nice spot for breakfast and coffee before you head off to their Dolphin or Seal tours. There's a shop attached with all sorts of great souvenirs to buy too.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Encounter

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Cafe opens at 7.30am and is less than 2 mins walk from the Waves apartments which makes it very convenient if you are staying there. I really enjoyed my cooked breakfast (Eggs Benedict) but thought their coffee was a bit inferior.

Cafe-Encounter1, Front Office Manager at Cafe Encounter, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review, we always welcome feedback from our guests. We're delighted to read that you enjoyed your eggs benedict, and at the same time very sorry to read that you enjoyed your coffee less so.

We have a great team of baristas who take a lot of pride in making great coffee and it's unusual for us to receive feedback like this about our coffee, so we take it very seriously. I can assure you that our Café Team Leader will bring your review to the team's attention who will continue to work hard to ensure consistency of quality.

It is such a shame you didn't bring this to our attention on the day, we would have been more than happy to both refund and replace your coffee! Should you drop by Encounter Kaikoura again, for another eggs benedict perhaps :-), do make yourself known to me and I will ensure you receive a complimentary coffee which will hopefully mean you enjoy your breakfast with us in it's entirety! :-)

Best regards, Helene

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Great location and wonderful food. Highly recommended for breakfast or lunch. Service was fast and efficient too.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

We had lunch at Café Encounter last week on the way home from Christchurch and although the meals were delicious, I thought the small portion of salmon (about an inch wide) I ordered was disappointing. It really was more entre size than a lunch portion. It came with a little potato bake on the side and some beans - very tasty, but not enough to satisfy. My husband had a Moroccan meatball open sandwich, a generous size and he enjoyed it. I know salmon is expensive, but this was priced comparably to other salmon lunch dishes I have had at other cafes and restaurants.
The coffee and muffins we had afterwards were very nice.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Had the most amazing breakfast. Yummy Cheese omelette is totally recommended! followed by the best latte bowl!!! Puts someone like me who has an appetite for breakfast absolutely in the morning gear! :D