“barely OK”

Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 May 2013

I walked over for a drink after checking into the motel nearby. Sadly, the staff were not at all chatty and did not say anything more than selling me a pint (this was the most unresponsive bar I have stepped into; there was not even a "where are you from/going to". After a very long day of driving, it could have made a difference.

Reviewed 2 February 2013

We came in during a busy time and were warned of the wait by a very nice waitstaff. The place was clean and tidy and not smelly some some bars can get. The gaming rooms were out of the way so that regular customers were not bothered by the noises.
When our meals came, they were presented well and were ery delicious. The children ordered from the kids menu which had more than just fried food! Lovely bangers and mash adn roast meals. Both kids ate everything on their plates with nothing but glee. My meal (Chefs Special) was perfectly cooked steak and lovely vegetables.
Good prices for a tourist town as well.

Reviewed 2 February 2013

Stopped here for dinner on the way South. We enjoyed the food - good value. Nice pleasant staff. Good stop for a meal. Nice atmosphere.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Its ok, we've eaten here a few times more out of necessity than choice as theyre open late and on the main road. We pass through Kaikoura weekly. Food is basic, but then again it is a bar and bistro. Lovely atmosphere and seating, nice open fire, good amount of TVs and it has pokies too. Good location on the main road. Would eat here again for basic meals but if you want something really nice then pick a dedicated restaurant.

Reviewed 12 January 2013

I just wanted the $10 lunch and a glass of wine, both of which were reasonably good value. I don't expect a great deal of these chain Bar eateries, but the larger plates going to other diners looked pretty good. I met the chef later at a party, and he confirmed the fish of the day had been Blue Cod, and amongst other things asked me if I thought it was overcooked (answer , "No"). A large, nondescript bar serving ok food for travellers. Plenty of room for families, with high chairs for the very young.