“Stay away from it”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kaikoura
Bad Jelly Backpackers
Ramat Gan, Israel
“Stay away from it”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

When I called the place, the hostess told me that I can buy a BBH card from her. Suddenly when I arrived, there was no card and I was told that I should walk to another Hostel which is quite far away. Luckily I had a car, but anyone else would have to walk about a mile or two. I would expect from the owner to sort that thing by herself, or at least notify me beforehand that there is no card.

What was really awfull is that I got a dirty towel, which was quite disgusting. When I told about it to the owner, she just gave me a new one, without even apologizing for the inconvenience. Thus said, the room was not clean and so was the kitchen. In my opinion, that is *the* most important thing in hostels, as you don't expect to get quality in any other way anyhow.

The room itself was quite small, but that was fine by me. Also, some people complained about noise from highway, but I did not hear any, or at least it hasn't bothered me.

I wish that there was something good that I could say about Bad Jelly, but unfortunately, there isn't. I just hope that other people will be aware of this place.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Andrey R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 February 2014

when we arrived the hostess was no where to be found and we were left not knowing quite what to do next. when I phoned her on mobile she was in Picton, and had "forgotten " to put a sign out advising us of this, or where we were sleeping etc. poor service and not particularly friendly. ammenities were good. clean and comfy. lovely outdoor area w spa and garden. we went to use the BBQ at night, but found it was in filthy condition, so we changed our minds!! situated right on SH1 so busy w traffic and noise all night. kitchen well stocked, and free bread available.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Clare O
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 January 2014

The rooms, kitchen, outdoor area and other amenities are quite nice, however other things were not as pleasant. We struggled to sleep because of the noise from the traffic and other people in the place, and had to buy earplugs. The front door bangs a lot, could do with an automatic closer to sort this out. Everything is on top of each other and noisy but I suppose that this is fairly normal. My biggest issue is that the lady running the place is quite rude, happy to take your money but thereafter not interested. We checked out 5 minutes after the 10am checkout time and she was very vocal that this was a major problem. Will definitely not go back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daniel B
Christchurch NZ
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Although I am normally sensitive to noise, and there is a lot of traffic through there during the day; I had no problem sleeping at night. There are just 6 rooms that are a mixture of double and twin, and it is very clean and tidy.
There is a barbeque, a spa pool and outdoor lounger chairs so you can really enjoy the warm outdoor weather.
A really nice touch was the loaf of freshly baked bread for the guests to share.
It is 500m to the edge of the main shopping area of town.
I would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the front room which would have been noisiest but did not find that a problem. The room...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 28 July 2012

This place is small, just about 6 rooms. The rooms are small, but clean and modern enough. The kitchen space and living area are clean and comfortable. The showers/toilets also nice. There are laundry machines available for use. A short walk into the center of town. The only real downside is that it is close to the main road and you can hear trucks zooming by in the middle of the night.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
ANNETTE K, Owner at Bad Jelly Backpackers, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We try to achieve a home away from home atmosphere.
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We found the Bad Jelly backpackers comfortable and good value. Its a short walk from town, warm, with a large shared lounge/kitchen and clean bathrooms.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
We want you to be well rested so we try to create a cosy environment
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Recently stayed in Bad Jelly while overnight in Kaikoura.

Be warned that this hostel is right next to SH1 (the main highway) running the length of the South Island. As it is near a corner you have trucks shifting down gear as they go down the hill which can be quite loud.

Having said that, it's a pleasant small hostel (six rooms). Lounge and kitchen are spacious and there are two showers and a couple of basins that everyone gets to share. Water pressure and temperature were fine.

Spa was getting fixed when we visited so didn't get to try it out.

Little hint.. a fast way to get to the information centre from Bad Jelly is to go through the park (right next to Bad Jelly) and down Deal St. There's a little walkway here next to the Chapel that goes down the hill and onto the main street.

All up, $54 for a double room (with $6 BBH card discount) this was value for money and perfectly fine for a short stay

Room Tip: Further away from the road is best
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank charles83-nz
Thank you for choosing our place. We appreciate your feedback.