Dusky Lodge & Backpackers
US$154
US$120
Admiral Court Motel(Kaikoura)(Great Value!)
US$119
US$83
US$76
Agoda.com
Kaikoura Gateway Motor Lodge(Kaikoura)(Great Value!)
US$151
US$108
US$171
US$164
Hotwire.com
US$184
Bella Vista Motel Kaikoura(Kaikoura)(Great Value!)
US$116
US$106
Agoda.com
Kaikoura Top 10 Holiday Park(Kaikoura)(Great Value!)
US$62
US$57
  • Pool
Lobster Inn Motor Lodge(Kaikoura)(Great Value!)
US$105
US$96
Agoda.com
All reviewshot tubdouble ensuitebig kitchensfree and fast wifisnowy mountainsown bathroomgreat facilitiesvisiting kaikourawould definitely stay here againwell equipped kitchenclose to townwhale watchingspalodgeheaterbbqearthquake
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 March 2011

You only need to look at the courtyard area of the hostel manager's living accommodation to realise what a pig-stye this place is. The communal areas are dirty, nothing is cleaned properly. The rooms are shabby. Only one light worked in our room, all the bathroom fans are triggered by someone else's bathroom light being on, we had alot of noise from the kitchen above our room and a fan from the kitchen that intermittently blasted into our room. The 'mamagers' don't really seem give a toss. Definitely don't stay here.

• Stayed: March 2011
Management response:Responded 31 July 2017

Thank you for your review. Dusky has new Management since 2015 and lots of great changes have been made. Hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 25 February 2011

It was nice
nice people was there
Good Cleaner were awesome

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 February 2011

On first sight this place was quite good. Not to dirty (because I have seen worse). There are a lot of facilities and the location is not too bad. Unfortunately this place changed quick into the worst hostel of NZ. The owner was very grumpy and didn’t want to talk to his costumers. I tried to say hello but ignored me and everyone else. Because I stayed longer I had a good view of the cleaning in the kitchen. There were only backpacker cleaners and they didn’t know much about cleaning. They put al the dirty stuff aside and that was clean.. but the worst was that they were stealing food from the customers. After all they were just as bad as the real staff when I figured out that I was paying more than my roommates. I asked the reception why I had to pay more even if I was staying longer. The only answer was we don’t know and I had buss off. Also when I wanted to book a fishing trip they didn’t want to book the cheap one. Until I insisted that they had to book the cheap one they gave me a grupy face and did the job. Now the worst part of the hostel and also the reason that everybody has to stay away. When I left I was covered with red itchy red stains all over my body. My doctor confirmed they were from bedbugs. The have a BEDBUG problem. So don’t go to the Dusky lodge. As you can read they are aware of the problem but do nothing about it. SO DON’T GO TO THIS HOSTEL ITS THERRIBLE

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 February 2011

Of all the places we have stayed in NZ and Aus.. One of the worst by far. It was cold and the rooms were dull. The fridge in the main kitchen had a vile smell. The kitchen wasn't very tidy or clean. The BBQ could not be used as it was disgusting. The TV room was average... The bathrooms were average. The beds had bedbugs. We found another kitchen and communal area at the top of the hostel, we were kicked out of there by the staff so it could be used by them. The staff in the morning were late opening so we were waiting around for key deposits and we had an early bus to catch. The staff attitude was appalling, especially from the manager and blonde female receptionist who refused to give back our friends key deposit with no explanation. When manager was com fronted about poor stay his attitude was disgusting and aggressive. The location of the hostel was out of town only close to supermarket, but charged the same price as a hostel in the main stripe. Recommend fish tank lodge..

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 18 December 2010

We stayed in this hostel one night. The room was OK. Places to eat and kitchen are quite small for the size of the hostel. The ambience was kind of weird and the swimming pool was closed when it was supposed to be open. It was really noisy at night. It is quite far from the interesting places of Kaikoura (around 15 mins walking).

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple