“Whale watching by plane”

Air Kaikoura Aero Club
Ranked #6 of 27 Tours in Kaikoura
More attraction details
Owner description: Whale Flights / Scenic Flights / Flight Training. Air Kaikoura is Kaikoura's longest running aerial operator. We have been operating scenic flights and flight training for 30 years. Our spectacular 30 minute whale flight gives you the chance to see the mighty sperm whale, whilst taking in some of the most stunning scenery New Zealand has to offer. We also offer complete Pilot training from our 25 minute trial flight, where you get hands on experience in our Cessna 150, right through to completing a private pilots licence. Air Kaikoura / Kaikoura Aero Club is a non profit organization meaning by flying with us your money goes back into our organization. We thank you for flying with us.
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I was a bit of special case. On the first day, there were clouds everywhere and we had to wait until the clouds moved away. We first made a little test flight but returned since the clouds were just where the whales were. A few hours later, we made a second flight for half an hour, we searched and searched, but the whales were probably down below the sea for feeding. The two pilots offered me to call back the next day for a second chance. I called and got another chance but this flight had to be cancelled because of incoming clouds. Then the next day I called again, this time I was lucky, and it was worth the waiting: one beautiful sperm whale! I was so touched that I forgot to take pictures, but never mind, I'll never forget this. Thank you guys for giving me all these chances, I appreciate it very much!

Reviewed 15 March 2014

We were in the capable friendly hands of Murray the pilot who managed to locate three different sea creatures for us to enjoy! This was a great value flight that not only found the whales for us to view but gave us a scenic flight of the magnificent Kaikoura peninsula!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Our pilot was very nice and experient and we got to see the whales and lots of acrobat dolphins jumping around really high in the air! In the end he was kind enough to take us on a scenic air tour of kaikoura, which was a great plus!

Reviewed 6 February 2014

We had a great (private) flight to watch the (sperm)whales! Our pilot (Murray) was very experienced in finding the whales ( other flights followed us!) We had a briefing before the flight on the whales, a safetybriefing and went out to the airplane (a four seater). Flight was smooth and we had a great view from 150 meters up and were able to shoot some great pictures. Returning to the airfield, there was even time to fly over the peninsula. Great experience!

Reviewed 22 December 2013

This attraction is run by a flying club but is professional in everything they do. We met our pilot, Liam and he spent a long time explaining all about sperm whales. We had our 10 year old grandson with us who already knew quite a lot but Liam took time to explain even more. After the safety talk w were taken to the plane. It was a 4 seater so just us and the pilot. We got lots of time over a beautiful sperm whale and when it dived we were taken straight away to another. Take off and landing were superb and the commentary whilst flying was great. Was cheaper than the commercial company at the same airport and could not have been bettered by them in any way. I have been to see whales in Kaikoura but this was definitely the best experience.

Sailor327, Manager at Air Kaikoura Aero Club, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2015

WOW, thank you for your great review. Liam really enjoyed taking you guys out flying.
We are only small so we try to be professional in everything we do.

Thanks again,