“Awesome experience!!!”

Air Kaikoura Aero Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Whale Flights / Scenic Flights / Flight Training. Air Kaikoura is Kaikoura's longest running aerial operator. We have been operating scenic flights and flight training for 30 years. Our spectacular 30 minute whale flight gives you the chance to see the mighty sperm whale, whilst taking in some of the most stunning scenery New Zealand has to offer. We also offer complete Pilot training from our 25 minute trial flight, where you get hands on experience in our Cessna 150, right through to completing a private pilots licence. Air Kaikoura / Kaikoura Aero Club is a non profit organization meaning by flying with us your money goes back into our organization. We thank you for flying with us.
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

We booked on very short notice but it wasnt a problem, murray took us out half an hour later. He is such a funny and nice guy, we felt immediately very confident even if my friend is normally scared of flying ;) on the flight we almost saw a blue whale, almost because it dived down as we got there :) but then we saw two sperm whales and what felt like millions of dolphins!! It was an absolutely beautiful day and we enjoyed every second of the flight! Thanks so much!

All reviews
"weather conditions"
"cancelled due"
"beautiful scenery"

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Murray was an enthusiastic and friendly pilot. He made sure the family felt safe and comfortable. The flight was superb and we saw two beautiful whales. Seeing the spectacular Kaikoura Peninsula by air is a real treat, would certainly do it again.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

It was a cloudy morning in December.I reached the Aero Club at about 10;00 in the morning. A notice on the front door read " Will be back soon" .On the turf two BIRDS were parked. A Piper Aztec and a Cessna 152. After about 20 minutes the flight instructor (Liam) arrived at the club. He gave me a firm hand shake and asks me if I came to see the whales or to fly. I told him "both"
He offered me a cup of hot tea and asked me to wait because there was a privious booking. A Japanese couple came to the club for their booked flight . Very pleasent people . The gentleman helped me to change the flat tire that I had on my RV.
After they had finished their flight it was my turn to fly.Liam (the Instructor) asked which aircraft I would like to fly .I said the Cessna 152 .This is the third time I flew in New Zeland. I enjoyed the take off and landing which was rather trickey because of the.. cross wind. Liam is a good Instructor .He had more faith in me than I had in my self.We flew along the beautiful coast which was breathtaking .The Cessna 152 is a very forgiving aircraft I realy enjoyed flying her . I loved the flying so much that I flew twice that same day. Kaikoura is very very beautiful. Though I did not see any whales or dolphins I enjoyed the flying. New Zealand is beautiful and the Kiwis are warm ,friendly and sincere . Thank you Liam !!!!! Cheers !!!!!!!

1  Thank David J
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I was a bit of special case. On the first day, there were clouds everywhere and we had to wait until the clouds moved away. We first made a little test flight but returned since the clouds were just where the whales were. A few hours later, we made a second flight for half an hour, we searched and searched, but the whales were probably down below the sea for feeding. The two pilots offered me to call back the next day for a second chance. I called and got another chance but this flight had to be cancelled because of incoming clouds. Then the next day I called again, this time I was lucky, and it was worth the waiting: one beautiful sperm whale! I was so touched that I forgot to take pictures, but never mind, I'll never forget this. Thank you guys for giving me all these chances, I appreciate it very much!