“Warm and welcoming place to stay.”

Brook House B&B & Cottages
Ranked #10 of 32 Kaikoura B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Warm and welcoming place to stay.”
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Fantastic place and excellent location, very close to all the local attractions and restaurants. Freshly baked muffins daily and a large continental breakfast to wake up to in the morning is a real treat! We would definitely stay here again next time we visit Kaikoura!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We were just a night at Brook House. After travelling for 2 weeks in NZ, must say it was my favourite accomodation. When I booked I thought it will be closer to town, so when arrived we were quite dissapointed. I knew as well it was kind of B&B but never expect to share Judy s home. But when Judy welcomed us and show our room, we love it! We had outsite bathroon but it did not bother us. Everything was clean and tidy. The cherry on the cake was next morning when we had a wonderful, tasty breakfast! better than any hotel.
Jusy is an excellent host . We felt as aunties home.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 December 2013

My husband and I were on our first vacation in New Zealand. Our stay with Judy, Charlie and Henry was on our first night on the South Island. We were given the room upstairs with the ensuite bathroom. It opened out to a balcony with a beautiful view of her immaculate gardens and the mountains in the distance. The linens in the bedroom and the towels in the bathroom were wonderful. The shower had a powerful spray, which we loved.

Judy's manner was informal in a very good way. It felt as if we were visiting friends, as everything you could need was provided.

The only suggestion I would give is in regard to the continental breakfast. When we went into the kitchen the next morning, everything was out on the counter. It had been sitting out for a while. I would have preferred if there had been a sign saying I could help myself to juice and yogurt in the refrigerator. I just don't like warm juice and yogurt.

But that would be my only suggestion. I would definitely recommend staying with Judy.

If you are interested in more details from our travels, please visit my blog at www.yvetterene.blogspot.com.au.

Room Tip: Our room was wonderful. It was upstairs and had an ensuite bathroom.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheYvetteRene
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We stayed at Brook House last week for one night during our time in Kaikoura.

Judy made us feel welcome from the outset, taking us to see the sights that we would not be able to get to without a car including a panoramic viewpoint, to see the seals and a stop at the local supermarket so that we could pick up some food! Judy shared all of her local knowledge with us which made our stay more enjoyable. She also took us into town in the evening so that we could enjoy a meal out and to the whale-watch the next morning.

Our room was adequate for what we needed and the private bathroom was clean and next to the bedroom. The house has a balcony with amazing mountain views which we enjoyed with one of Judy's delicious home-made muffins.

Although it is quite a way out of town, it is a nice walk there so that shouldn't put anyone off. Would definitely stay there again next time we are lucky enough to go to Kaikoura!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying at Brook House for a couple of nights.

I actually arrived a little earlier than I had expected but there was no problem with check in. Judy was on her lunch break (she works part-time at Whale Watch) but still found time to show me round.

I found the house clean and homely with a large kitchen/breakfast room and a comfortable lounge. Nice view of the mountains from the rear balcony. There is no washing up to do - just place your used plates etc in the dishwasher. My room was fine with a comfy bed and adequate storage. My private bathroom was spacious and clean. There was also plenty of off-street parking.

Food was good, especially Judy's chocolate muffins. Judy was always friendly (as was Charlie the poodle) and happy to pass on her local knowledge.

Location is 2 km north of town centre, but so what, It is a pleasant enough walk into town.

I would definitely stay again:)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We had a room with a private bath. The room was very small and there wasn't enough space for our two suitcases. The bath was across the hall.
Judy was accommodating and knowledgable about the area but a bit over bearing. We never really felt comfortable in " her" house while she was around. One of the things that we were looking forward to was meeting other travelers in the communal area. Judy tended to dominate the any conversation. The best time we had was the morning we left. Judy had to go to work and we visited with the other guests that morning. We all had a great time.

In summary, this felt more like an adult hostel with Judy as the house mother. We could have done a lot better if we just drove into town and found a place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bhendee
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Arrived early but no problem to check in. We had Room 2 with a private bath. Room was basic, clean with a comfy bed and good pillows and linen. Little storage but ok as we only stayed 2 nights. Bathroom roomy with good shower. Room wasn't serviced during our stay but there was no problem when I asked for a clean hand towel (as there was only one supplied). The most amazing view awaits when you open the curtains. We enjoyed sitting on the balcony with a glass of wine chatting to other guests.
The large kitchen and lounge were welcoming, and Judy was happy for guests to bring food in. Tea and coffee available at any time, along with the much praised chocolate muffins.
Breakfast was of very good quality, lots of choice of bread, cereal, preserves, yogurt and home made fruit salad.
Judy is happy to help with local info, where to eat etc.
Location is fine, a pleasant walk into town along the busy road.
Would recommend this B&B to anyone visiting lovely Kaikoura.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple