“Good surprise”

Admiral Creighton Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #23 of 32 Kaikoura B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 February 2012

It all started on a misunderstanding due to an old Lonely Planet guide. We were supposed to stay at a Convent, but it was transformed as a University 4 years ago. Actually, the same phone number is now the one of this cute B&B owned by a very friendly couple. At the first look, you think it is a little old fashioned, but do not get stopped by that : the owners are very, very kind and friendly, and manage to create the right conditions for having all the nationalities gathering for breakfast having a very good time socializing together. This is greatly helped by the fantastic treat brought on the table for breakfast, with almost everything home-made and delicious. The advices for sight-seeing and organizing the day are very good as well. Our 10 year old son played a lot with the dog and the parrot. Overall, it was a good surprise !

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 February 2012

We visited in New Zealand during November 2011. One of the highlights of our stay was the brief stopover at The Admiral Creighton. Its a pleasure to be able to give a totally unrestrined recommendation to a couple who seem to live just to give visitors needs evefry attention, food, accomodation, knowledge on the area.

A wonderful stay and a place to revisit again and again.

Jeff & Linda Wilkins

Room Tip: Just pick up the phone or email, nothing is too much of a problem
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We spent 3 wonderful days in Kaikoura, staying at Admiral Creighton B&B. Such a special place, Creighton, and Molly along with their owners Yvonne & Tony were delightful and friendly hosts. We had great sleeps, wonderful breakfasts, stunning views of the Kaikoura mountains. A wonderful stay, will be back.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
fatrats, Owner at Admiral Creighton Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2012

Thank you Noeline and Colin for such kind words, It was a pleasure to have you both staying with us. I remember a few laughs. Colin is great story teller. Folks like yourself's make having a B&B worth while. Good luck on your furture travels Regards Yvonne & Tony

Reviewed 22 December 2011

We stayed 2 nights in the Admiral Creighton B&B during our roundtrip.
The B&B is in een good location, just a short drive to the most restaurants.
We had a nice stay, friendly hosts, nice dog and parrot and a good night sleep.
The only thing is that the B&B could use a little modernisation.
But maybe that`s the charm of this place!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Stayed here on our first day of a tour and was very impressed. Tucked away out of the bustle of the lively little town of Kaikoura the Admiral Creighton B&B is a gem! With the Kaikoura mountains in the backyard and the stunning Pacific on the other side the setting couldn't be better.
The décor of the B&B is 'old world charm' but has a modern hint to it. Everything is very comfortable - my bed was fantastic and the en-suite well appointed. Yvonne and Tony were very friendly, lovely couple (not to mention excellent cooks!). Molly the dog and Creighton the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo were also very welcoming and friendly.
Tony showed us the eels and trout in the stream behind the B&B and told us some interesting facts about them as he fed them some scraps.
I would recommend this B&B to anyone wanting a comfortable, peaceful stay in Kaikoura.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 October 2011

I stayed one night on my train journey from Picton to Christchurch. Tony met me at the train station when I arrived and was very nice to drop me off the next morning on his way to do errands in town. Without him, I would not have known that the Whale Watch group (which runs the area served by the train -- there are no actual train employees at the station) provided a secure area for my luggage so that I was free to wander around the train for the several hours I had before catching the train.

Tony and Yvonne were excellent hosts (she and I watched some Who Wants to be a Millionaire on TV); they were solicitous and caring without being intrusive. The complimentary glass of wine upon arrival was a nice touch. My bed was extremely comfortable, and the furnishings in the room was quite nice. Breakfast was well done. Although I had just the toast and jam and fruit, yogurt and cereal were also available. (I had earlier learned the proper way to eat kiwi fruit -- you scoop it out; you do not peel and slice -- the kiwi Yvonne served were delicious.

As other people have stated, the views from this place are incredible. I spent quite a bit of time out back, just looking at the stream running through the property and the snow-capped mountains in the distance.

To show the effort that the proprietors go to to be helpful during your stay, I mentioned to Tony that I was ending my two weeks in New Zealand in a couple of days, and my big regret was that I had not seen any sheep shearing (had seen plenty of sheep from my train, but had not visited any farms). He immediately got on the phone was a local sheep farmer and tried to arrange a visit for me. Unfortunately, the morning shearing had been canceled (something to do with the shearer choosing a golf tournament over shearing sheep), and the afternoon shearing was after my train would have departed.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We stopped over Kaikoura overnight and stumbled upon this lovely B&B. Views from the back yard were absolutely breathtaking. It was a short but sweet stay over night and the lovely couple (Yvonne & Tony) were ever-so welcoming. Creighton the cockatoo and Molly the dog are just too adorable. Had a great stay. Highly recommended! Reasonably price too.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple