“A bit expensive ...”

Ranked #24 of 32 Kaikoura B&B and Inns
Casteau, Belgium
“A bit expensive ...”
Reviewed 8 March 2013 via mobile

Good b&b. Very quiet. A bit "oldish" but cosy style. Basic continental breakfast included. Free and unlimited Internet access !

Only real problem is the cost. Much too high. Took it because my arrival was one day hearlier than planned and the 10 motels i checked before where all fully booked. Should be at least 20 to 30 dollars cheaper. Actually, 2 of the 4  rooms stayed unoccupied (although all the rest of the city was apparently fully booked) during my stay.

So you know my view.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Tennessee
Reviewed 6 March 2013

This accommodation was booked by our tour provider. Our large group arrived much later than expected, yet Tony and Yvonne were nothing but pleasant and accommodating. They allowed us to grab a quick shower before serving us a wonderful dinner. Our room was clean and comfy. Greg and I enjoyed "chatting" with their cockatoo, Creighton, and playing ball with Molly. We enjoyed joining Tony on his morning walk to feed the brown trout and eels. So cool!! Upon learning I'm in law enforcement, Tony, a retired police officer, gave me a current copy of a NZ law enforcement magazine to take home. Sadly, our visit was just a single night but when we return to Kaikoura for an extended stay, we plan to stay at Admiral Creighton's again.

Room Tip: Book the last room on the left side of the hall.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 March 2013 via mobile

This was one of the nicest places we stayed in of our trip around the south island. The hosts are lovely, they have a cool parrot, they care for the wildlife around their b&b, they present home made jams & preserves for breakfast which are delicious and the whole place is just generally nice in a nice setting. It was also better value compared to some other places we stayed in. I totally recommend it!

• Stayed February 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 15 January 2013 via mobile

We found the accommodations very comfortable and clean. Although we stayed only one night, our hosts Yvonne
and Tony were helpful and quickly oriented us to the restaurants, beautiful seaside walks and other attractions. They were patient with the confusion caused by our locking our keys in the car. The talking parrot, Creighton, charmed us with his calling out, "Hello darling." We enjoyed the gorgeous view of the mountains and the river flowing in back of the property, especially when Tony feeds the fish and ducks. Highly recommended.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Liphook, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Sorry to say we found this one of the least welcoming B&B’s in New Zealand. We had changed our booking from two nights to one night because the Transalpine train schedule had been disrupted and we would have had to use the bus instead. As the train trip was to be one of the highlights of our holiday, we managed to re-arrange our booking with the railway. We told the B&B owners in good time, but they evidently did not believe us and we had a couple of rather frosty emails from them, telling us it was better going by coach anyway! They also said they had checked the rail website, but could find nothing about the works on the line, and pressed the point again when we got to their home. We showed them where we found the information that the works were to last a few days, but I think they were too disgruntled by then to make us feel welcome.
So we arrived in Kaikoura and had a very offhand greeting from Tony. We were taken to the B&B and along the way he pointed out various places where we could eat, but didn’t tell us they were shut as it was Sunday. As a result, we had a long walk in search of somewhere that did not look like Wetherspoons, but we ended up there anyway!
We were the only guests staying that night and we were pleased to be told that we had been given an upgrade to a larger room – that was until we came to check out the following day. We were hustled out rather precipitously and told we could leave our luggage at the station, where we were duly deposited and left with a curt goodbye. In the rush we did not check our bill and to our dismay we find that yes we were given an upgrade, but we had been charged the full price for the better room!
It seemed to us that our hosts were more interested in preparing for the group tour that was arriving the following day than making us feel welcome. Never mind, our experiences elsewhere on our travels made up for Kaikoura.

Incidentally, the staff at the Whale Watch could not have been more helpful and charming.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
fatrats, Owner at Admiral Creighton Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
I am a bit bemused but not surprised with rating, Ann or her husband who sent us six long involved e mails making several request one of which was a free pick up from the train station. On the way to our accommodation I pointed out several restaurants which are close to our B&B I was very surprised to hear they were all closed as one of the closest is about 500mtrs away is open till late 365 days per year, all are well run .
Due to the number and nature of the e mails We decided to up grade this couple in an effort to make them happy The small en suite room booked was at $149 and this is what was charged. A check of the printout from the EFTPOS machine confirms this. The upgrade room is $179.00 so I am not sure what they are on about there.

As the train from Arthurs Pass to Greymouth was cancelled for a few days for track repair I suggested the coach was a good replacement From Arthur Pass the train enters a long tunnel which emerges on the other side of the Southern Alps missing the spectacular views that are to be seen while traveling through the Pass This was a genuine suggestion as we know the area well and there is no comparison between a dark tunnel and the views offered by the heart of the Southern Alps.
As for the welcome I met them at the station Welcomed them to Kaikoura Showed them where the whale watch was along with parts of the town, back at the B&B I spoke at length giving the usual information about the B&B

The next morning we gave them the early breakfast requested and took them at no charge to whale watch. I then had their luggage locked up at the railway station so it would be available for them when they caught the train Later in the day (no Charge) when they finished their whale watch some hours later.
This is the same service given to hundreds of guests who have appropriated it in the past, we have received many accolades. Im not sure what else I was expected to do for them
We did our best knowing it was a challenge and make no apology for our service
Anthony Steadman
Owner
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2012 via mobile

My circumstances during this visit were unfortunate and an awful incident occurred that nearly cost me dearly.
Tony and Yvonne could not have been any kinder towards me. They really went above and beyond the call of duty.
I only ended up staying for one night alone instead of the two nights for two people booked. There was a traumatic event on the first night. They both supported me and made me as comfortable as they could. They refunded my second night stay to help me out.
They even checked on me a few days later to see if I was ok and what my future plans were. Good honest lovely Kiwi people!
I would highly recommend to anyone that they stay here. You'll be amongst lovely people in a very nice B&B.
I'm sure I will return in the future.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Katie D
fatrats, Owner at Admiral Creighton Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 1 January 2013
It is always a pleasure to have people like you staying with us. After spending most of my working life as a Police Officer in the New Zealand Police where I had to deal with the worst of our society it is a pleasure to be dealing with the best. If we were able to help you Katie is some small way it was the least we could do. We wish you all the best in the future which we are quite sure with your personality and natural ability's will be a bright one.Good luck and thanks for staying with us.
Yvonne & Tony Steadman
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 8 December 2012

This was one of the best places we stayed in in NZ. Lovely rooms and Tony and Yvonne could not have been more welcoming and friendly. The location is about 20 mins from "down town" Kaikoura. We appreciated the opportunity to wash our clothes as well!

Mary and Joe

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi Mary
Thank you for your kind review. It is not always easy running an Accommodation Lodge but it is people like your self who bring out the best in other people . It was a pleasure having you with us. ,If you know any more people l like yourself, send them our way.
Thanks again all the best in your travels
Regards