“The complete package ”

Maxtons Restaurant
Price range: US$12 - US$45
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Maxtons Restaurant is located within the Kaikoura Boutique Hotel on the waterfront, entrance through the courtyard. Maxtons is only small so we recommend you make a reservation to avoid disapointment.
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

My partner and I ate here out of convenience as we were staying in the hotel but were delighted with the service, food and atmosphere. We had the fish of the day and venison, both of which were delicious. We enjoyed it so much that we returned the following evening to try the salted caramel tart which also did not disappoint. Highly recommended.

1  Thank FoodCeej

Reviewed 14 December 2013

We turned up unannounced, no problem with finding a table. Great staff catered for my food intolerances without problem. Really enjoyed the meal, good value.

1  Thank LuttonRichard
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Great food. Not very child friendly (I.e. no high chair, no kids menu, don't think they're used to serving young ones).

We had a rocky start w/the server (her & husband/chef are owners). We tried to order the pate (or a smaller version of an entree or anything really) for our 17month old who has a well developed palate and large appetite when growing. Owner told us it would be too much food. she turned out to be right, but she is a bit abrupt and and we found it odd to be told we couldn't order something. No kids menu, couldn't order what we wanted for our daughter, so just shared. That said food was good. And she did bring us a glass of milk we requested to hold the little one over til food came.

Seafood chowder = best I've ever had, daughter asked for more.
Steak - ordered med rare, got med well. Tasty but sooo over cooked.
Pork- my husbands order & quite tasty.
Chocolate torte - best dessert we've had in month of traveling through NZ.
Wine - small red selection. Paid $10 more than exact wine we had at Tutis the night before.

Would go back but...without our daughter.

1  Thank Nicole S
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Had the venison was so tender and beautifully cooked. Nice crunchy duck fat roasted potatoes! To finish off a great evening had the chocolate salted caramel tart.. DEVINE! Service was good.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

My family and I went here for dinner and it was absolutely amazing, great service and such a cute restaurant! The food was so delicious and cooked to perfection as well as being beautifully presented! The chocolate and caramel salted tart is the most amazing dessert I have ever had and would definitely recommend it!