“Great Location, Fitted the Bill”

Kaikoura Gateway Motor Lodge
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Kaikoura
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I stayed there with the family as part of a post Easter trip around the top of the South Island. We arrived not long after some pretty atrocious weather, but the motel appeared to have come through OK. The ground floor unit we had was very good. Clean, spacious and sufficiently warm for us. The last of the late summer heat had warmed the solar heated pool enough to allow my youngest to hop in and have a splash. It looked like a good pool. While I was stood there I got chatting to the highly personable host who was keen to assist with any queries we had. We did not have any trouble with traffic noise, we could hear it but it was not intrusive. Room facilities were good, the kitchen reasonably well stocked with enough to enable a cooked breakfast to be assembled. Bathroom nice and clean.

We had access to wifi, the first few hours are free (Why can't the big hotels do this?), which was useful especially for identifying restaurants etc.

We were there for a couple of nights checking out the local sights and whale-watching. All in all I would recommend this motel as one to check out for a night or two if you are passing through Kaikoura.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Kiwi_acct

Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

We booked 1 bedroom unit with spa bath unit and host(guy) is very friendly and feel free to welcome.

It's clean and perfect facilities and great location... Will be back again

Many thanks

Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Hdhyue
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Spotted this motel as we were driving into Kaikoura and decided to see if they had a room for one night so that we could take a whale watching trip the next morning. We were greeted like old friends and shown to a spotless unit on the first floor overlooking the main trunk road which at the time was very quiet. To be fair it isn't exactly the M1 and the volume of traffic did not disturb us at all. The unit had a small balcony where we sat out and had a nice view of the park across the road. As with most units in NZ there was a small but well equipped kitchen area (again beautifully clean) and a good size bathroom with a great shower. Parking was off road and enough spaces for each unit. Sue and Kevin who run the motel were friendly and knowledgeable about the town. Really enjoyed our one night here and if the weather hadn't turned so awful we would have stayed another night as our whale trip scheduled for the next day was cancelled due to the wind and rain.

Would definitely recommend this motel; lovely spotless units, good parking and less than five minutes to walk to a range of bars and restaurants.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah P
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed for 3 nights over the Easter Holiday in April and found the room very spacious and clean. Good bathroom facilities with a spa bath and shower overhead. Plenty of towels provided and extra towels on request. A bit cool to enjoy their small swimming pool. Close to the main street and the many restaurants & bars - just 3 minutes walk.

Room Tip: Easy to find on the main road and plenty of quiet rooms away from the road.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank retep42
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for two nights, and had a very good experience. Check in was smooth, and the management was very accommodating with our request to switch rooms when we arrived. The room was comfortable and spacious. The location was great too- just a short walk to the main street in Kaikoura, which has the majority of the restaurants and shops.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rkstar01
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We had an upstairs room with balcony - quite spacious and bathroom with bonus of spa bath. Views were quite pleasant but we overlooked the main road - SH1 - and experienced some heavy traffic, although it didn't affect our sleep quality. Everything clean and well-equipped. Check-in friendly. Easy (10 min) walk into Kaikoura.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Frank_n_Fair
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I had an overnight stop in the beginning of March 2014. Reception was not exactly unfriendly but far from the best I encountered during my 3 weeks in NZ. I simply didn't feel very welcome. The room was modern and spacious enough, but faced SH1 with some traffic noise as a result. Thankfully I'm not a light sleeper. Wifi was a joke, 1 hour free of charge and it proved to be unreliable. Had to use my phone as a wifi hotspot for my iPad. Some motels offer hundreds of MB per day free of charge. Cleanliness was good apart from a greasy ceramic hob. I've certainly had better experiances at the same price and would probably stay somewhere else should I visit Kaikoura again. I expected more based on previous Tripadvisor reviews.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo