“lovely homely place to stay”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
and 1 more site!
Mango Eco Tourist Hostel
Port Douglas, Australia
“lovely homely place to stay”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We had a lovely stay here. We were lucky enough to have the whole house to ourselves but even if other people are there I'm sure its still peaceful. The owners live in a house next door and have lots of information about travrlling and tours. We did end up booking a tour on Phils recommendation and had an amazing day at Fraser island. The hostel itself has a beach house/ cottage feel to it. Very much enjoyed using the kitchen and living areas. Having a tv was also a treat! Recommended if you want a break from busier hostels and to stay somewhere a bit different.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alice o

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I am not sure if some of the former comments stayed in the same hostel.
It is very clean (definately no bedbugs), cheap and has a beautiful veranda and balcony at the back. The owner is more than helpful. For sure if you are looking for a party hostel it is definately not the right place to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Michael950
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 25 October 2012

When we arrived had to wait 20mins to be greeted, then was immediately subjected to the hard-sell on Trips, even before talking about rooms! Turns out he didn't have the room we'd booked, but tried to encourage us to book trips on overnight stays on Fraser Island that we didn't even want. Apparently booking 2 females in a 'female dorm' doesn't mean you'll be in the same room as each other, with just females!
Needless to say we wouldn't recommend this 'quirky' little place after he asked for cash for whale trips before we even had the bags out of the car. But if you do stay, remember the mosquito spray!!

Room Tip: Don't!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jodie m

Travellers are raving about these Hervey Bay hotels

Stuttgart
Reviewed 18 October 2012

The hostel is awsome. Very nice renovated guesthouse made of wood. It has a lot of flair and is nicely and very warm decorated. Also the terraces are very nice with hammocks etc.... Kitchen, Bath etc. all very clean and also lots of flair.

The owner was amazingly helpful and gave me tons of tips what to do and from what to stay away. I was a bit frightend at first because i had read some of the bad reviews on tripadvisor before my stay but that´s just complete rubbish. The owner has lots of advice and beautiful spots to discover and may be a little direct in commeting your already made plans. But this no maior critics, he is just honest and direct and wants you to make the most of your trip.
Overall this was by far the best (and the smallest) hostel i stayed in on my trip

Room Tip: there are not many rooms ;-)
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Konstantin K
Bologna
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Well...what to say. I can only confirm the other reviews: the hostel is nice, quiet and clean, but the owner is absolutely odd. First, when we arrived, he was not waiting for us, and when I told him that we booked online three days before, he just answered with a dazed-jack-sparrow-like face: "Really?"
Then he was absolutely disappointed by the fact that we booked a whale watching cruise on the web, claiming it was better to do such thinghs through himself 'cause "he knows best".
Then every time we met he tried to sell us his tours saying it was the only way to see Fraser Island properly, denigrating every other way to visit the place. It was quite stressful.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gigit23
Brisbane
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Where do I start! I did not have a very enjoyable stay here. To start the owner is arrogant, rude and looks down his nose at you, if you don't book tours with him he suddendly takes a dislike to you and makes fun of the tours you have done previously and always quotes his tours are the best, don't book the frazer island tour with him it doesn't look great Rainbow beach offers a lot better tours. There is also no pick up or drop off to bus station to the place, plus the day before I was leaving he demanded money off me acting like I was going to leave without paying he never asked for payment on the first day!

Also secuirity is not great in this place the front door is never locked at night and there is a back entrance that anyone can easily walk up, I didn't feel very safe sleeping there at night. If you are travelling on your own and young I would not recommend staying on your own as its not always full and people of any age seem to stay there.

Last thing on my last night I was woken up by bed bugs biting me and also the place is covered by trees so lots of lovely mosquitos bite you at night when you are sitting inside as all the windows are left open in the place.

Don't stay in this place there are alot of nicer places in Hervey bay for less than this place don't believe their website they hype up the place way too much!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank mollyfrawjack
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Really great place. Great helpful staff. Only sleeps 8 in total which makes it really relaxed and quiet. Close to the beach and not too far from supermarkets and bus station.
Great kitchen everyone can use. We got good tips for activities. Staff was really helpful when I lost my
phone
I can only recommend this if you are in Hervey bay and look for a small, friendly place

• Stayed January 2012