Open today: 07:00 - 17:00
Review Highlights
A UNIQUE TOUR WITH UNIQUE FRASER!

We rented a car with a private driver with Unique Fraser Tours on 28th December 2018 Troy, our... read more

Reviewed 14 February 2019
Krissnc
Glad someone else was driving and not me!

What a great day my daughter and I had with Kris, our very experienced and entertaining driver... read more

Reviewed 15 January 2019

from US$64.87
from US$61.27
from US$82.90
More Info
All reviews champagne pools indian head day tour eli creek small group indigenous guide driver chris morning tea and lunch driving skills tour takes toyota landcruiser maheno shipwreck large bus action packed sense of humour great driver land cruiser
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This is a hard review to write because I want to rate it low but also can't justify doing so. I hope the review will make it clear why I'm torn.

If you want to do Fraser Island in a day, you pretty much have to do a tour unless you know what you're doing. Driving on the island at full speed (so you can maximize what you see) is not for the inexperienced. Also, if the conditions are not ideal (meaning recent rain), getting stuck in loose sand is a real possibility. This tour takes care of that driving for you with experienced drivers who can professionally navigate the conditions, are aware of tide times to optimize the order of stops, etc.

What I didn't care about was that the majority of the day was spent sitting in the vehicle. Our day started with a short (at most 30 minutes) stop at the ship wreck (and morning tea here). We then made it to the furthest point on the island, Champagne Pools. We were given maybe 30 minutes to hike along the path to the pools, get in, and hike back. In total, this left maybe 20 minutes to actually "swim." This isn't really enough time to make getting wet worthwhile. We then hit Indian Head where we climbed to the top and got a pretty view for maybe 10 minutes. (This climb is not for the unfit!) Our next stop was Eli Creek. We had enough time to wade down the creek once and then splash about for a few minutes. (Optionally, we could have waded two, maybe three times.) Next was lunch. Lunch is pretty basic but sufficient. The last stop was Lake McKenzie. Again, we had about 30 minutes here. (In hindsight, I would have dropped the Champagne Pools and Indian Head climb for substantially more time here, but that's just my preference.) We were then headed back to the ferry to return to Hervey Bay.

If I am going to the island, I want to see as much as I can. At the same time, I don't want to sit in the vehicle all day. I realize that a 2-3 day tour might have been more for me, and I cannot fault the company for that. Just know what you're getting - a lot of vehicle time in exchange for maximum sights.

A few useful tidbits worth noting: (a) footwear: do NOT wear anything that you don't want to be sandy by the end of the day; it is a sand island after all; due to all the walking and climbing, a sturdy pair of shoes is best; consider water trainer type shoes or possibly the basic crocs. (b) when getting on the ferry, at least on the Fraser Island side (possibly Hervey Bay side too, though we didn't have the problem on our trip), you may encounter sand flies; if you aren't familiar with sand flies, they are awful and you'll itch for days afterwards; invest in some Bushman bug spray and apply that before heading back to the ferry. (c) I was impressed that the staff did not seem to mind when you got in the car wet; they did ask that you sit on your towel, but it wasn't an issue for them; they have to clean out the car, so sand and wet are OK.

3  Thank mommaBear308
uniqueadministration, Manager at Unique Fraser, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear MommaBear308, Thank you for taking the time to write a comprehensive review of our tour. We appreciate your four star review and are glad that you saw everything Fraser Island has to offer and enjoyed your day.
We advertise ourselves as a See It All In A Day Tour. We understand that a lot of travellers only have limited time when travelling especially in a big country like Australia, so we try to get the maximum adventure out of each day. You can laze around on a beach just about anywhere in the world, but there is only one Indian Head and one Champagne Pools and that is at the top end of the fourth largest island off the coast of Australia (including Tasmania). Obviously, getting there is a bit of a drive, especially when the off roading conditions are not the best, or you have to drive the beach at high tide. Like you pointed out in your review though, it is on average only 30 mins between locations so it is not at all uncomfortable. Lunch is pretty basic, fresh bread rolls, a selection of meats and a selection of freshly prepared salads all with an ice cold beer or glass of champagne to wash it down with. We are on a sand island with limited facilities and most people would prefer more time swimming and hiking rather than sitting down to a gourmet lunch. I agree with you that Lake McKenzie is a beautiful fresh water lake and it is quite possible to spend the whole day there. You're right in that one day is often not enough time to spend on the Island but most times, it is all that people have. Maybe next time you come to Hervey Bay, you can join us on one of our two day tours. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels in Australia. Cheers, Unique Fraser

Reviewed 30 April 2014

This company/staff treats each customer like family. The groups are small, 6 to 7 which enables the guide to be more interactive and personal, Our guide, Troy had unlimited jokes, knowledge of the region and actually sounded like a teacher much of the time. The length of the trip is recumbent upon the service and if shortened the staff try their best to ensure you see it all.

Date of experience: April 2014

Hi Deb H, Thank you for your 5 star review. After spending ten hours in car with seven people you get to know them pretty well. We find that by the time the day ends, we all feel like family! Plus, you can tell more offensive jokes to family that you could never get away with telling to strangers!! Glad to hear that you enjoyed the day with us, I remember talking to you upstairs on the ferry ride home - and I'm still trying to get to Canada. Hope you had a great time in Australia, Cheers! Chris

Reviewed 28 April 2014

You have to be realistic about what you want to achieve when visiting Fraser Island- if you want to spend a lot of time at each site then the 1 day tour will not be your thing- you should instead try the 2 or 3 day tours. Unique Fraser does a 1 day tour ( which we did ) which visits 6 sites, but naturally you can't spend too long at each. Nonetheless it gives you a fantastic whistlestop tour of the island and is good fun.

Our tour guide, Troy, picked us up on time from our accommodation and displayed huge enthusiasm for this job which was refreshing. He made the day incredibly enjoyable, although his borderline offensive jokes may not be to everyone's taste! He made sure we were last on the ferry so we could be first off and got to the lake before the crowds.

It was a fantastic day, with nice lunch and the free champagne is a nice touch. Would definitely recommend Unique Fraser, but just make sure you decided how long you want to be in Fraser Island so that you pick the best tour for you.

Date of experience: April 2014

Hi Rammina, Thank you for your great review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your day with us. We do offer a great whistlestop tour of Fraser Island taking in the same sights as other tours do in two days! We understand that most travellers have only limited time and as such want to see as much as they can in that time. For travellers with a more flexible itinerary, we have a two day option available. Hope the rest of your holiday was just as fun. Cheers! Unique Fraser

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I travel with my hubby to hervey bay and book this tour, chris was an amazing guide we love her and we loved the island as well. All day was grate champagne pools are awesome and the Lake. Definitely I will recommend it

Hey Carolina, Thank you so much for your terrific review. I remember you guys well, I trust you had a great time having cocktails with the girls!! Hope everything is going well with you both, and hope to see you back here again soon! Cheers, Chris!

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We had a great day from start to finish and really is one of the highlights of our holiday.

Our driver was amazing, a true Ozzie with such a great sense of humour along with a vast amount of knowledge.

He made sure we were one of the first off the boat so didnt get caught up with all the huge buses and other traffic. There was only 7 of us in our vehicle, so much better than a huge bus. Somalia was on our trip who is a part aboriginal and she gave us so much information about the history of the island along with stories from the past. Her family still lives on the island and you cant get this information out of any book! With this trip being small you get the opportunity to ask questions about the island, where I believe other trips just read off a script!

We got to visit all the places on the itinerary, a delicious lunch on the beach with champers and beer. I dont understand why people would want to go and sit in a resort hotel when you have such beauty all around. For those of you worried about bathroom facilities, there are enough options on the trip and you are kept well informed of when and where they are.

We were lucky to see 4 wild dingos on our trip which was fantastic.

The highlight of our trip was the stories our driver told us (think it was Chris), he was so funny.

We were late back but this was completely beyond anyone's control. The boat had to wait for the tide to come in. I was so impressed how a boat could not only dock, but turn round in such a small amount of water.

Do not listen to the negative reviews. Our driver told us about the dry conditions they had experienced previously, which makes very difficult driving. This is nature and cannot be changed, however the drivers do there utmost best to keep us all safe and if that means missing out a couple of things on the island then so be it.

Fantastic company, Somalia is just and amazing person with tons of knowledge about the local people. You dont get that on the bigger trips!!

Do not hesitate to book with this company!!!

The larger companies are trying to push the smaller companies out, dont let this happen!