“Bistro Aubergine”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bistro Aubergine - CLOSED

Bistro Aubergine
Cuisines: Australian, Mediterranean
Good for: View, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Maryborough, Australia
“Bistro Aubergine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Love this place. The views are spectacular the staff are wonderful Chef Geoff is amazing. Scallop pies are delish. The Risotto is to die for. Always a good experience at this restaurant :)

2 Thank smother64

Melbourne, Australia
“very disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We were not able to eat the meal - perhaps a one off for these guys (and i really hope so as they are in a great location and the setting is lovely) but our experience left us determined never to return.

Hervey Bay, Australia
“Definitely return...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Bookings essential. We watched people being turned away and wondered why; I asked. The perfect balance of relaxed professional service waitress responded with "if I cannot attend to patrons with quality service, I'd rather turn people away"... it made perfect sense to me; knowing quality service was assured and it was.
Unfortunately, they'd sold out of the eye fillet steak, the second option of slow cooked beef cheek was beautiful.
We'll definitely return...

• Visited August 2014
“Every meal has impressed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I'm staying at the Mantra in Hervey Bay for a business trip. Here alone, I've opted to eat most of my meals in the attached Bistro Aubergine. I've had breakfast, lunch and dinner there on multiple occasions.

The service has always been prompt and pleasant, attentive without being intrusive. There is a refined but relaxed air to the restaurant. My only real complaint (and thus loss of fifth star in my rating) is the temperature of the dining area. The days have been cold, blustery days, and I have not always felt enough of a contrast between the temperature in and the temperature out. The restaurant's decor could be improved. It is slightly too eclectic for my liking, but not to such a degree that it upset the dining experience. In fact, I only noticed this during my "light of day" lunch time meal, not in the gentle light of evening when visiting for dinner.

Now to the most important consideration when evaluating a restaurant: the food.
The worst I could say is that the servings were not particularly large, by which I mean 'not particularly large' (they were not small). I, by no means, had cause to complain; but (for those who are used to being served a plated mountain of food) climbing gear is not required. I would suggest the portion serves were perfect. I'm someone who tends to eat whatever amount of food is placed in front of them, and it was nice to leave the table satisfied but not stuffed. It's worth noting that, in all cases, I ordered only one course.

As to quality, the food was of a very high standard. Gnocchi, ham-tom-cheese toasted sandwich, cooked breakfast, bircher muesli (I particularly enjoyed this!), breakfast smoothie and more - all well presented and quite delicious. The coffee did not blow me away, but that may have been because my expectations had been nudged upward by the quality of the meal to that point.

Would I recommend dining here? Most definitely.

1 Thank Matthew P
Healesville, Australia
“Wonderful Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Had dinner last night, what a wonderful meal. Had Salt & Pepper Calamari, would have to be the best that I have ever had, the other people in the group also were very impressed with the meals. The wine selection was good, the staff were great, the nicest meal that I have had in a long time.
If you are in Hervey Bay, don't miss the opportunity to have a meal at this restaurant or you will miss a wonderful expetience.