“Worst place I have ever stayed!”
Review of Palms Hotel

Palms Hotel
Ranked #22 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Worst place I have ever stayed!”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

What a dump! Upon arrival we were informed 'we had the cheapest rooms possible' - we should have left right then! Rude staff, deplorable room conditions - dirty, old and tatty. Mould in the bathroom and cobwebs on the roof. I even found blood stains on the bedding! Door and windows were broken in both of our rooms. We found a condom wrapper and empty alchol bottles right outside our room along with rickety, broken decking. This place is horrible. We unwillingly stayed one night but prefered to sleep in a couch of a relatives and left asap the next day. This place should be reported to the health inspector. Such an awful experience.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE! I am sure all of the rooms are awful and dirty.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Emily K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hawera, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Booked to stay at this Hotel because of its free 14 day carparking. First impressions were not good so checked out the Hotel next door who informed me they were going into receivership in a few days for non-compliance. The owner was extremely shifty and had not mentioned this but was extremely keen t take my money. We had booked in to stay here on our return from our holiday and he was also going to take our money for this also, we immediately moved next door and put a block on our credit card to prevent him taking any cash while we were away.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Dec S

Travellers are raving about these Mangere hotels

Courtenay, Canada
Reviewed 16 December 2012

This hotel is absolutely disgusting. We started by waiting at the Auckland Airport for 90 minutes for the hotel's courtesy shuttle. Upon arrival we immediately noticed that the hotel was run down and not maintained. The lobby was dirty, the men's public washroom in the lobby reeked of urine and the washroom walls were tagged with graffiti. The swimming pool was filthy as was the pool deck.This hotel is a scam. They take advantage of travellers who book on the internet and are duped into thinking that the hotel offers value for money - it doesn't. It should be re-named the Auckland Armpit Inn. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. In fact, it should be reported to a local health authority. The only redeeming feature here was the fact that I was given a cash refund for my non-refundable internet booking and the Best Western hotel across the street was able to accomodate my last minute early check-in after a 13 hour flight from Vancouver.

Room Tip: If you booked this on the internet I suggest that you demand an immediate cash refund and go across...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dean W
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 December 2012

This is THE most DISGUSTING place I have ever stayed in!!!! The place was not clean, peeling ceiling in the bathroom, shower was broken, toilet looked old (and well used), tiling cracked, pipes tapes together, fridge so iced up you wouldn't be able toput anything in it! We arrived late at night otherwise we would have left!!! We slept in our sleeping bags because gosh knows what was on the bedding!!! There was no wi-fi and we were offered free breakfast but like HELL I would eat in a place like that!!! I wouldn't stay here again if I was paid to!!!! Rude person at the reception, uninterested, did not look too clean!!! I still have the creeps!!!!

Room Tip: Do Not stay here!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Becks E
Mssunshine12
Reviewed 16 November 2012

From the moment I walked into reception, I just knew this was a bad idea. The staff are pretty disorganised and I get the distinct impression that they have never ran a hotel before. After throwing the keys at me without telling me where and how I get to my room, I only wished I had walked out the door right there and then and not continue with the horror show that unfolded.

The lowdown? The musty, unpleasant smells that greet you along the unkempt corridors and sadly continues on into the rooms. I booked a corporate studio but don't be fooled, they are dirty, dated and look like they haven't had a proper clean since the beginning of time.

Before I entered the room, a young man appeared with a vacuum cleaner telling me he still needs to clean the floor. I looked into the room and the floor was in a mess but surely they wouldn't of just given me the keys and told me to go into the room if it was in that state? Yes they did. When I finally got into the room, there were no towels, shower mats or pillow cases so had to go back to reception to complain. Also, the walls are paper thin so it was almost like being in a hostel room with 4 other people. I was kept awake all night by a coughing man, 2am knocks on the door and chatty girls. The shower was grim with a broken shower head and the toilet smells of urine and unwashed pants.

In short, just don't stay here. Yes it's cheap. But it's just plain nasty. If you need a hotel by the airport, go to Ibis and pay a wee bit extra. You will be glad you did.

Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Mssunshine12
Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 October 2012

First impressions were horrible! We had paid online for one night and when we arrived were utterly disgusted we didnt even think it was the right place considering the photo's all look great. Rubbish everywhere! Staff were so rude and even started shouting at me! Needless to say, we cancelled our reservation and went to the hotel next door, so much better! Auckland Airport Inn is the most disgusting hotel ive ever seen and should not be allowed to operate!

Room Tip: DO NOT stay here!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lauren S
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 5 October 2012

In the last 5 months my husband and I have stayed in 50 budget/mid range hotels and to date I have written 1 review because the hotel was really nice.

I am now writing this review because this hotel was just absolutely dreadful.

We booked this hotel through Air New Zealand Holidays. It cost us $39 (US). When we booked we asked for an overnight room. What we got was a room that could be used from 9am until 5pm on the day of arrival. (i.e. a DAY rate room). We were told that we could pay extra to stay overnight. NOT A GOOD START!!!!

(Note: Should you book this or any other hotel through ANZH and you want to cancel they will charge you $125 (US) per person which for a $39 room is terrible).

When we arrived we were given a key for a room that had not be cleaned. The beds were unmade and the towels were dirty.

The next room which had (supposedly) been cleaned had:
1) No towels
2) Dirty bed linen
3) A cigarrette burned carpet
4) A patio door that did not close properly so you couldn't lock it.
5) A view out the window of a hedge (which in itself was okay) but underneath the hedge there was loads of litter.

The reception was dated and dirty and the 2 bedrooms we saw felt and looked dirty.

There was a restaurant but given the state of the rest of the hotel I would have been to scared to eat in it.

There were empty sweet packets strewn down the corridor. (Just plain weird).

We stayed 2 hours and then left and went to another hotel.

The ONLY positive was the good selection of tourist information leaflets in the Reception area.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple