“Almost perfect but.....”

Auckland Airport Lodge
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Reviewed 4 November 2012

There is a lot to like about this place - nice modern room, good facilities, convenient location, free wifi and shuttle, liquor shop five minutes walk away, and local restaurants that deliver good food. My rating would have been excellent for everything, but for one thing.

My flight arrived at 4:30am from Chile. I had e-mailed a couple of days before to find out how to get to the hotel. I was told to ring from the information desk (free) and they would come and get me. When I rang, I got an answering machine. Not very helpful. I left my mobile phone number. I rang again half an hour later and got the machine again.

Fortunately, I had some friends with a hire car who were able to drop my luggage off, and I went in to Auckland with them.

Later in the day when I returned, the fellow behind the desk said the answering machine is turned on when they are shuttling people to or from the airport. If that was the case, then they were probably at the airport a couple of times while I was waiting, but I did not know they were there. :-(

Leaving people sitting at the airport for hours is not a good advertisement, and especially when you give them a phone number to call you back on, but they don't call you.

All of this could have been avoided if they had told me to wait at some particular place, eg, outside door 11, where I would have seen them and been able to get to the lodge.

So if you are planning to stay there after a flight, it would be a good idea to pin them down in advance as to where you should wait after calling them.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank davidnew
There are newer reviews for Auckland Airport Lodge

Reviewed 4 November 2012

- flight arrived at midnight, was picked up within 10 minutes of calling for the free shuttle service.
- friendly staff.
- clean, simple room.
- great when you just need to get to bed after a late flight (5 minutes from airport).
- stayed 2 rooms from the road and noise was minimal (no disturbance to sleep).
- good price.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank S D
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We often book through Wotif and this was the case for our booking at the Auckland Airport Lodge. As usual, I always check the complex's actual website to ensure what we see is what we are likely to get. The website showed a very modern and new complex so we felt confident that our stay would be a very comfortable one. Unfortunately our hearts sank as we drove in - the general area wasn't good, and we secretly hoped we wouldn't be assigned one of the very basic, older units we drove by on the way to reception. Unfortunately that's where we ended up - right on a very busy road with no internal sound proofing. The unit was very dated and basic. We couldn't face a night there, so returned the key after having already paid up, and spent a very comfortable evening at the Sudima Hotel instead (for not a lot more). We felt very duped by the images on the Auckland Airport Lodge website, so our advice is to be mindful of this.

Room Tip: Seek assurance as to the type of room/unit you will be assigned. There are two distinct areas of th...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Rachel H
Reviewed 24 September 2012

This would be my third over night stay at the Auckland Airport Lodge and again was very happy with my stay. I stayed once in 2011 during the world in one of the 2 bedroom apartments and couldn't fault it. The Motel is 5 mins from the airport with free shuttle bus the rooms were clean, comfortable and the furnishings were modern and up to date. The staff were loverly and helped in anyway they could.

I recently stayed again at the beginning of September 2012 and once again was very happy with my stay. I had the 2 bedroom apartment again with family and friends and on our return 2 weeks later had the one bedroom apartment , and again had no complaints. The staff went out of their way as before and even gave us a lift to a local restaurant so we could watch the Bledisloe Cup.

I would have no reservations in staying here again if I am every back in Auckland.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We asked for a one bedroom unit without traffic noise and were given one at the back near reception, so it wasn't too noisy. Apart from that, it wasn't great. The unit was very smelly, basic and dated. The towels were thin and worn, and there was no power point in the bathroom, let alone a hair dryer. Reception was closed when we arrived as they were at the airport, so we had to wait 20 minutes to check in. While we were out, someone turned down the beds in our room and put the heater in, which was nice. Overall though I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2012

This was my 2nd time staying at the Auckland Airport Lodge - the first while transferring to Samoa and this time while transferring to Rarotonga. First time in Deluxe Studio and this time the Deluxe Spa Studio. Both times the rooms have been immaculately clean, warm and comfortable. The service is exceptional with ontime friendly transfers to the airport and pickups no matter what time of the day or night it is and all included in the room rate as was the car parking for the week I was away. The staff are really friendly and always interested in hearing about your holiday.

Room Tip: After a 6 hour drive from the Eastern Bay of Plenty and the prospect of an upcoming flight and trans...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Great place to stay when flying out of Auckland on an early flight. Free airport transfers, and free parking for 14 days while you are away. Definitely recommend an upgrade to the deluxe studio (with bath), well worth it. Peaceful, clean, great facilities, and a great nights sleep. Free airport transfers, even if you arrive back at 1am! Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Deluxe Studios are upstairs away from any noise, makes for a restful night before flying out.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple