“Too far out”

Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
New Zealand
“Too far out”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed here to attend a concert, and it really was a whistle stop tour to Auckland. The room did exactly what we needed it to do, it was clean and comfortable. The free drive to the airport in the morning was much appreciated. However if you are wanting somewhere close to the CDB then this isn't the place, its either many many bus rides or using expensive taxis.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I booked one night in a family unit here as I had an international flight departing out of AKL the next morning. I specifically asked for a quiet unit with my reservation. I arrived at the motel soon after 3pm to learn that they pre-allocated a unit at the very front of the property, next to a very busy road. So I asked to be given a more quiet unit, as it was still early afternoon and most, if not all, units were still empty (could clearly see this through the windows).

The guy at the reception insisted that they were fully booked and he “could not” give me any other room. Upon my question as of how could that be, given that most rooms were still sitting empty, he explained that all other guests had booked specific(!) rooms. Now I do stay in hotels quite a lot and I am not a fool, nor do I appreciate to be treated as such.

A few words about the room itself. The 1 bedroom apartment is quite bright and spacious. The bed mattresses are either very old and worn or of very cheap quality - extremely soft and the metal springs can be felt through the sheets. I ended up sleeping on the sofa. The room has no aircon, only a fan. The shower had virtually no water pressure. Needless to say that it was extremely noisy all night due to the location metres away from a busy road.

I judge hotels by the sleep quality they provide - this one was close to zero (terrible bed and noise all night). Add infuriatingly unprofessional customer service and you earned yourself the worst rating.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank awesomniac

Travellers are raving about these Mangere hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

This is by far the nicest in the for it's price. Rooms inside are modern, clean, quiet and comfortable.

Staff are very friendly, and very deserving of the trip advisor award on display.

Basic restaurant with great food and prices on two minutes up the road, and a 24 hour petrol station next door.

Am happy to very returning for a night in a couple of weeks.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bailey N
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Stayed here overnight - arrived at 10pm and left at 5.15am the next day to catch a 6am flight.

The lodge looks dated from the outside, but the rooms are a really good price compared to others in the area and I would recommend this place for an overnight stay. It is basic, clean, and quiet, and I thought the bed (room ten) was incredibly comfortable. Lodge is within ten min drive of the airport.

I booked this through wotif.com and at half the price of the Novotel (where I have stayed previously) this is really good value in comparison for an overnight stay.

Upon my arrival at Akl International terminal, the staff answered the phone promptly and arrived at the airport to pick me up in no time. Transfer the next morning was on time and staff were friendly.

I would stay here again if I had another overnight stay between flights.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Tresemack
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

The room was OK. Location was good for access to airport. Not great neighbouhood, nothing really close by to eat. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Room we were in was very dated, we were in the basic room. On Agoda stated had A/C which our room didn't.
Kitchen and bathroom very dirty!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Cambridge, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We stumbled across this little gem needing a place to stay prior to an early flight and somewhere to leave our car for five weeks. Firstly we were impressed by the nice crisp bedlinen and extremely comfty bed in our suite. The furnishings were not modern but it was all clean and tidy. The owners could not have been more helpful first taking me to the airport in the small hours, and then my wife 12 hours later (yes we travelled like the royal family!). They even agreed to having a bicycle, which we had sold via TradeMe, left in their storeroom for someone to collect a few days later on his way back from Oz. On our return to NZ, there was no delay in being picked up. A really very friendly, reasonable and convenient service.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank PTJC1966
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here overnight twice - before our flight and after our return flight. Different rooms each time, but both had spider webs and a couple of spiders hanging around. Very dusty as well. The shower was quite poor but can't complain much for one night either way. The beds are very bouncy as well, like a trampoline. There was a grumpy member of staff who picked us up in the shuttle from the airport, not friendly and just seemed like they hated their job. Overall not a clean motel, not a nice area in Auckland either.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends