“Novotel Auckland Airport”

Novotel Auckland Airport
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
GreenLeadersSilver level

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This hotel gives the impression of trying to screw the guest for as much money as it can. The first thing it did was to get me to sign a pre-authorisation of NZ$100 on my credit card, where all other hotels I've stayed at in the last 25 years are content simply to swipe my card. The mini-bar and (presumably free) tea/coffee were so mixed together that it was impossible to tell what the hotel was going to charge for, so I didn't use any of them.

My biggest problem was the fumes in the room. There was a very strong chemical smell and the fumes gave me a nose bleed for the next several days. It was impossible to open the window to let in any badly needed fresh air.

The lighting was very poor over the desk. It would be impossible for anybody to read or write at this desk in the evening or night. I am unable to understand the logic of hotel renovators who put all sorts of gimmicks into see-through bathroom doors but neglect the basics of providing a desk that guests can actually work at.

The buffet breakfast was very good, and good value for money.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank GeorgieBoy1089
FOMNovotelAKLAirport, Front Office Manager at Novotel Auckland Airport, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear GeorgieBoy1089
Kia ora & Thank you for choosing our Hotel,
I am sorry to read how you feel about our Hotel, this is definitely not how we want our guest to feel after staying with us.
the credit card pre-authorisation is a standard practice in the industry - most hotels/motels would only advise you of an imprint/swipe whilst doing the very same pre-authorisation. I will however work with the team to ensure we explain this as clearly & as simply as possible.
Our team is available 24/7 to assist with any inquiries - I very much regret that you did not contact us for assistance with regards to your room's Minibar, "fumes" & lighting. I am confident we would have been able to assist with alternatives.
Delighted to read you have enjoyed our Breakfast Buffet!
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed 30 December 2013

The staff were incredibly good, the restaurant superb and the rooms lacked for nothing. When dining, I fancied an omelette - not on the menu but it was ordered without fuss and was delicious. We used to stay at some excellent properties on the main road to the airport, but from now on, will always stay here when needing to depart the next morning.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Kia ora Ranipuss
Thank you for choosing Novotel Auckland Airport & sharing your lovely review,
Lovely to read the team looked after you so well!
We look forward to welcoming you back,
Canberra
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Rarely do you find a hotel of this standard at an airport. Accomodation is well appointed, clean and great service. However the most important thing in a hotel is the bed and this hotel has very good beds which are not too hard and gave us a good night sleep. Oh and location you could'nt get any better especially for an early flight.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Liz_Aussie
Kia ora & Thank you for sharing your lovely review,
So glad to read you have enjoyed your recent stay with us - We look forward to welcoming you back,
England
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Having had two long flights from the UK it was comforting to know that once I arrived all I had to do was walk across the road to check in. No shuttle bus, no trekking down long tunnels to "attach" the hotel to the airport as is so often the case. It is directly across the road from International arrivals. This in itself is a great selling point.

However, I continued to be impressed. The bar (and I think the restaurant though I did not try that) was open 24 hours. Perfect for a night cap to help you sleep when your body no longer remembers what day it is. I recommend the Kiwi Martini!

The room was clean, the hotel is quite new so all in good condition, my room had a shower only not a bath but found this the norm in the other hotels I stayed in NZ too. Great view of the planes taking off from the end of the corridor but the room itself well soundproofed and the bed very comfy.

Breakfast was included in my rate. There was a good selection of hot and cold items with waffles etc made to order. The staff were quick to replenish items.

Indeed the quality of service was better than I have received in some 5 star hotels. Quite simply the staff could not have done more to be helpful. When I went up to have one final hot chocolate they were refilling the machine and I decided not to wait as I had already had two cups. One member of staff who had seen me waiting actually came after me to say he would put a drink in a take out cup if I liked.

Also the express bus which heads into the centre of auckland stops right outside the hotel. Given that its about a 30 minute ride into town these are a great alternative to taking a taxi for singles or couples and run every 15 mins or so.

All in all a great start to my NZ adventure.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
FOMNovotelAKLAirport, Front Office Manager at Novotel Auckland Airport, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Dear Celi36
Kia ora & Thank you so much for your beautiful review,
Our team works very hard to always deliver outstanding experience to all our guests - it is therefore such a great reward to receive comments such as your review! I have already shared this with the entire team!
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to NZ!