“Good tarrif, poor staff”

Sudima Auckland Airport Hotel
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Cooma, Australia
“Good tarrif, poor staff”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Booked and paid for two rooms to be interconnecting using BarterCard. Received confirmation. On arrival was told that no interconnecting were available and the rooms were across each other. The receptionist blamed BarterCard for the wrong booking. As I was travelling with elderly sister, I insisted on a interconnecting room. I was reluctantly provided one after a 15 min wait. The hotel is 4.5 star by NZ standard (4 star in Aussie maybe). The rooms were not large but adequate. Furnishing was good. Was expecting a pillow top bed but it was acceptable. Light switches were fancy but difficult to find in the dark, even by feel as they were almost flush to the fittings. Could not find the clock so had to keep switching mobile to check time. General cleaning OK but bathroom tiles and grout had not been cleaned properly. The white carpet was badly stained and needs a good steam clean. The wake up call at 4.15 AM went OK and I was in time to catch the shuttle. That is when things went wrong. There was no one at reception so I left card on desk to catch the shuttle before it left. As there was still 5 minutes left, I went back to reception,(by then the receptionist was back.) She proceeded to check me out. Then she asked for payment. When told it was already paid, she said there was no record. I asked asked her to sort it out with Bartercard office. Her response was pay now or she will charge my credit card. Reluctantly I handed her my BarterCard. She ran it through the Eftpos machine but got declined. I think she used the wrong Eftpos machine. She then proceeded to get authorisation for 1 room. When told there were two rooms, amended the authorisation. Upon return and checking my statement, I find there is one payment and two authorisations. Hopefully they will not charge me 3 times. Not impressed with the service.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
SudimaAuckland, Manager at Sudima Auckland Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Guest, we have clearly missed the mark on a number of occasions, and for this I sincerely apologise. We shall review our communication and procedures with the Bartercard Team to ensure such inconveniences are not repeated.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Much nicer than I thought it would be. The parking was very convenient out the front and our room was lovely. The beds and pillows were firm, but not hard. The shower was typically too short (I'm 6foot), and the water pressure was not anything to rave about, but it was well kitted out with plenty of towels and toiletries if you needed them.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Hi Ronnie68, thank you for your comments and great to hear we made a good first impression.
Adelaide
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This hotel is a little more polished than most transit hotels but also had very afforable rate. I stayed 1 night recently in a standard room. There is a free bus that stops just outside arrival hall (no signage). Note this is 'not' a shuttle instead a large public transport type bus that does about 4 of the hotels around airport. The sudima was the last stop. I think it runs about every 30 min. Also note that the same type bus can take you back to airport next morning but costs $10NZ, reception can advise times.

Check in was prompt and all the staff i encounted during my short stay were professional and helpful. Room is modern, well set out with a comfortable bed and small bathroom. Unfortunatley no fridge. Room service available. Menu actually on TV itself and pretty standard stuff. Ordered a pizza and it was ok and deliveried within 20 min.

Good range of TV channels available and found hotel quiet. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank gypsygirl_8
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Turned up at 1am. Used a taxi because the shuttle didn't show. told I had not booked a twin despite my reservation confirming I had. told no twin room available. no roller bed or cot. So I slept on the floor. which was pretty good as floors go.

Could the shuttle drop us to the rental car place (which was on the way to the airport)? No. You have to call them. Can we use your phone? No.

Should be called the Nohotel.

Its cheap though. Perhaps because they only need to employ people who can say no. imagine the training "So you're doing nothing and a guest would like help? No problem. just say no. then you can get back to being as useful as a turd."

Never again.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank David S
SudimaAuckland, General Manager at Sudima Auckland Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear guest, great to see you back! You keep promising you won't and you keep surprising us. We also love the feedback, some of its almost unbelievable. The Hotel has numerous Triple/Twin rooms and or roll aways beds. The Hotel Shuttle runs 20 hrs a day 7 days a week with out fail. The Hotel is dotted with phones, we even have them in the rooms!
However, we continue to improve our services and standards, its a promise, and we trust this time you''ll keep yours.

Kind regards
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2013

The entrance is lovely & inviting, the staff were generally caring & over-helpful if anything.
Lovely room, modern furnishings. Great value wireless, delicious meals. Excellent value for money!
Overall really enjoyable stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Richele T
SudimaAuckland, General Manager at Sudima Auckland Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Appreciate the glowing review! See you next time.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We had a late night arrival - just after midnight. Our room had been prepared for us. Very clean and welcoming. There were a number of very early departures which woke us, but I suppose it is an airport motel after-all. Staff friendly and the courtesy transfer worked well. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
New Plymouth, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 August 2013

was clean and tidy and the rooms were well serviced. Receptionist on the Thursday was friendly and very helpful and nothing was a problem to her. Sorry did not get her name but was late. On the last day room service lost my breakfast order, the staff on were not very helpful and some what rude like it was my fault for not ringing down earlier but I thought being a Sunday morning would be busier with customers wanting to get away. There was no apology or what they could do to as had paid for it in the room and did not happen & there was no communication on what they could do to make up for this error. The feedback forms are a waste of time filling out as have not had any correspondence from management of the sudima when I filled out the cards.

Room Tip: recommend the end rooms away from the lifts as those that were nearer could hear the noise from the...