“No Kiwis working here & Not worth the MONEY !!!!!”

Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Rockdale, Australia
“No Kiwis working here & Not worth the MONEY !!!!!”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here on 2 separate nights with my holiday in Niue in-between, the two dates were the 07/02/14 & the 22/07/14. On arrival at Auckland Airport direct from Sydney I had to contact the Hotel using one of the free phones in the airport terminal, waited only a short time at Gate 4 for the free complementary transfer to the hotel & the driver appeared pleasant and polite. I had booked the two dates over the internet a few months earlier using BOOKINGS.COM. First impressions go along way when arriving at the hotel & I just had a feeling it's not run by local KIWIS, I handed over my confirmed bookings to the receptionist & I'm asked for my Credit Card Details for a security bond in case of any damage to the property or I decide to take a runner !!! The transfer driver helps with my suitcase to the upper level & I'm given room 229 & immediately I noticed I'm facing the main road & went straight back to the reception area requesting a quieter room with less traffic noise & without any fuss given room 226, this room seemed smaller than 229 & unsure if it's the type of room I'd paid for being a Queen Room ? I couldn't get the A/Conditioning to work & after asking the reception staff i'm informed I have to use the electric standing fan !!! After sorting out my personal items I needed to eat & when I went down stairs at approximately 6:30pm there wasn't any atmosphere in the restaurant with only 1-2 patrons eating & decided to take a 10 minute walk locally to find a restaurant. The following morning I didn't feel like I'd slept well with the bed being some-what short for a 6"1 tall guy like myself. Breakfast from 7am in helping yourself like a buffet breakfast, the breakfast very bland without much on other apart tea coffee juice cereal toast & jam, no offer of a cooked breakfast. Later I checked out & straight to the airport again using the free shuttle bus [best to book the time for the shuttle with the reception staff]..... I return back into Auckland Airport 14 days later during the late afternoon on Saturday 22/02/14 & went through the same system in calling the hotel for a transfer, this time I waited a good 25 minutes & the driver wasn't very welcoming & drove like a crazy man speeding & looking very annoyed & stressed. Same procedure on my 2nd visit at 7:30pm & at the desk giving my C/Card details, this time I'm given room 224 on the upper level, a repeat of the 07/02/14 & decide not to eat in the restaurant with no one inside eating without a Saturday evening atmosphere , just walked 10 minutes up the road finding a couple of restaurants with a better atmosphere, on returning to the hotel I had arranged a suitable time for my transfer on Sunday morning 23/02/14 [10am check-out time policy] and had to spend 4 hours at the airport before checking-in for my return flight to Sydney. I had paid for my first visit NZD $75.00 for the room with breakfast, on the 2nd visit paid NZD $85.00 with breakfast. Personally I may have had a better option if I'd looked around searching through the internet ??

Room Tip: If you haven't already paid upfront through the internet then make sure you view the room before...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Stephen N
Shalend P, Front Office Manager at Auckland Airport Kiwi Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for your precious time to comment on your experience with us.

Each and every hotels in world seek bond upon checking,which was well advised to you on your booking confirmation.

There are more Kiwi working for us, which I hope you might have overlooked.

I understand that you wanted to enjoy our premium room service upon booking economy room wherein unfortunately your request was not entertained by our staff.

I advise you to have a through check made for the room type and additional service before booking.

I hope your comments would be different if you had given Premium room at a economy room rate.

With Thanks
Auckland Airport Kiwi Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Polish first
Cairns
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed overnight prior to an early morning flight. I guess you get what you pay for - OK but nothing special. Value for money is OK. The room was fine - but some maintenance issues. The staff were efficient but with no warmth or personality. Dinner in the restaurant was a bit ordinary - out of oysters, out of cider, low on ice & "don't do coffee." We saw a very tempting steak at a nearby table so went for that, but ours was small & dry compared to the one we saw.
The staff are predominately Indian and there are several Indian dishes on the menu. In hindsight we may have been wiser to go for an Indian dish. Overall - a cost effective, convenient overnight pit stop.

Room Tip: Ground floor if you have luggage. There is no lift.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. There are a number of issues raised in your feedback that will help us improve as a property. I have passed on your recommendations and feedback to the relevant department heads to address.

Thanks for your time to comment on your recent stay.

With Regards
England
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed here twice during our new Zealand trip. Hotel is clean, basic and has free airport shuttle bus which is what you need. Simple breakfast but as a pit stop in between flights this place is fine and value for money.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest

Thanks for your precious time to comment on your recent stay with us.

We are glad to hear that you enjoy our product and service.

Please keep in touch and look forward to welcome back again on your next visit to Auckland

With Regards
Auckland Kiwi Hotel
Bairnsdale, Australia
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed 3 nights on arrival in Auckland, found that the downstairs room that we had, was, although old, clean ,quiet and comfortable. We liked the direct access that we were able to have to our car from our room which saved us a bit of time and effort with our baggage.The staff were all very pleasant and helpful and went out of their way to make sure that we were well looked after. The included continental breakfast was quite adequate and well presented. I did think, however, that the Charge of $5 for the use of the computer was a bit hefty considering that it was only quoted to be $2 in the in room blurb.
We thought the whole place was very good value for money and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Shalend P, Front Office Manager at Auckland Airport Kiwi Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Guest,

It was nice to hear that you enjoyed our product and service.

We look forward to welcome back you again on your next visit to us.

Keep in touch

Seattle, WA
Reviewed 4 February 2014

After 17 hours of flights and airport lay over, we only wanted an inexpensive, clean place to stay the night. We got into Auckland after 22:00. We called and their free shuttle showed up within about 15 minutes to take us the short distance to the hotel. Our rooms were $90 each for the night, which included a decent continental breakfast. Our room was clean, perhaps a little stuffy when we checked in, but we could not figure out the lights in the room. We called the front desk and they came quickly to show us how to work the lights and air conditioning. The showers were strong and had ample hot water. The towels were a little thin but adequate. The staff was very nice, and gave me a ride back to the airport the next morning to pick up our rental car. I would recommend this hotel to a younger crowd, like back packers looking for a low cost, low frills place to sleep and shower.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cabojim
Shalend P, Front Office Manager at Auckland Airport Kiwi Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear Guest
We are very glad to hear that our little touches enhanced your stay and you had a lovely time. It is wonderful to know that you would recommend this hotel. Thank you and please stay in touch with us via Facebook and Twitter so we can provide you with our best rates for your return!

Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Yes it may be close to Auckland airport but there are a lot of others that are reasonably priced. The bathroom wasn't very clean. We didn't sleep in the beds. The sheets had stains on them, bed covers had stains on them. The place is run down. Needs some TLC. Breakfast was not that great. Only a choice of weetbix and cornflakes. Only one type of jam for the toast and not freshly squeezed orange juice. The review form we filled out was also stained. Handed in personally to the receptionist but so far no feed back. We will not be going back.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Shalend P, General Manager at Auckland Airport Kiwi Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear Kerry,

Thanks for your feedback wherein you had raised lot of issues which is a concern to me.

Much appreciated if you email me your booking details so that I can have the right room number in which you stayed for improvement purpose.(kiwi.manager@vrhotels.co.nz).

Our restaurant had breakfast options which I hope you had overlooked it.

Thanks
Auckland Airport Kiwi Hotel

Travellers are raving about these Mangere hotels

Whitianga, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Close to the Auckland International Airport and 24 hour pickup service, this hotel is a good choice for short stay after long flight. People were friendly and helpful. However, public bus transport to downtown is long (1h) and infrequent (once every hour; weekends even less).

Room Tip: We had a room in the basement with window to the parking area. This is noisy, because cars come and...
Dear Guest

It is great to hear that you had a first class stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon!