“Dirty sheets”

Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Dirty sheets - upon finally getting my teething baby to sleep, I discovered bed sheets full of somebody's pubes (gross). Rather than wake her, I decided to sleep on top of the bed. In the morning I told reception, who responded 'you should have told us so we could change them'. I said I didn't want baby woken again. They said 'you should have phoned us then'. (Apparently this was all MY fault). I don't even think he apologised. I don't mind mistakes (eg not realising new people checking in to a room), but I mind rudeness and arrogance. I didn't expect much for the price, but clean sheets are a pretty basic requirement for a hotel.

Stayed: March 2014
Shalend P, General Manager at Auckland Airport Kiwi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Baggles2
Thank you for your comments about the standard of housekeeping. This is of a major concern to me. You can see by our other reviews that we take great pride in our housekeeping standards – we invest a lot of time in training and hiring to ensure we have the most capable team. I have addressed your concerns with our Executive House Keeper and will follow up personally to understand what we can do better as a property. It is disappointing to hear that our service did not work, as it should have. It would be helpful in rectifying the problem for future guests if you could provide me with your room number. My email is – shalend@vrgroup.co.nz

Please accept my apology for your experience and hope to hear soon from you with your stay room number which will help me in disciplining my staff.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Upon booking this property I selected a so called suite to ensure a quite nights sleep. In the booking I made a note to advise I was competing in an ironman in a couple of days and need a quiet room for a decent nights sleep. That night we were woken around every hour with people thumping their bags down the stairs.. It was a terrible nights sleep and when say the least.

Upon letting reception staff know I had an indifferent response and got the feeling that the complaints come often and are tiresome .

I was nothing short of exhausted after this stay and exactly what I was trying to avoid even I selected this hotel.. When I emailed the Manager about this I was insulted with a 10% discount off my next stay.. You have to be kidding me! You couldn't pay me to stay here again!

Other NZ properties we stayed at were amazing! Be warned the staff are terrible, management are worse and it's noisy as hell...

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
2  Thank holidayoneonone

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed to read that you had a stay that was not up to your expectations. Please note that our property have stairs, some amount of minimalistic noise is to be expected when opening up your balcony door. I am happy to say that our rooms are well insulated in general and therefore retain heat well and keep away most sounds. None the less, we will do some investigation to see what can be done to limit these sounds in the future.

Take care and I hope your comment might be different if we had given you full refund as requested via email communication.

With Thanks

Reviewed 16 March 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
3  Thank Christopher B
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed one night at the 'Kiwi' between flying in from Christchurch and out to Melbourne and we got what we paid for. The transfer to and from the airport was well handled though the hotel is a few kilometres away, the reception staff were friendly and the room was of a large with a double and a single bed, clean but a little tired (The fixtures and fittings were beginning to show their age). They also have an on-site guest laundry which was useful. Our chief complaint was the restaurant staff where the waiter, when we were able to find him, though civil appeared not to want to be there and barely did his job. The food however was OK if a little ordinary (They don't do lunches but a couple of restaurants are only 10 minute walk away). All in all for what we paid it was good value and for a single night lay-over this was a good choice but for longer maybe not.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Shalend P, Front Office Manager at Auckland Airport Kiwi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Guest,

It was glad to hear that you enjoyed our product and service wherein our staff also made it more comfortable.Each and every feedback helps us in improving our product and service which our management take very seriously.

We look forward to welcome back you gain on your next visit to Auckland

Warm Regards

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here on 2 separate nights with my holiday in Niue in-between, the two dates were the 07/02/14 & the 22/07/14. On arrival at Auckland Airport direct from Sydney I had to contact the Hotel using one of the free phones in the airport terminal, waited only a short time at Gate 4 for the free complementary transfer to the hotel & the driver appeared pleasant and polite. I had booked the two dates over the internet a few months earlier using BOOKINGS.COM. First impressions go along way when arriving at the hotel & I just had a feeling it's not run by local KIWIS, I handed over my confirmed bookings to the receptionist & I'm asked for my Credit Card Details for a security bond in case of any damage to the property or I decide to take a runner !!! The transfer driver helps with my suitcase to the upper level & I'm given room 229 & immediately I noticed I'm facing the main road & went straight back to the reception area requesting a quieter room with less traffic noise & without any fuss given room 226, this room seemed smaller than 229 & unsure if it's the type of room I'd paid for being a Queen Room ? I couldn't get the A/Conditioning to work & after asking the reception staff i'm informed I have to use the electric standing fan !!! After sorting out my personal items I needed to eat & when I went down stairs at approximately 6:30pm there wasn't any atmosphere in the restaurant with only 1-2 patrons eating & decided to take a 10 minute walk locally to find a restaurant. The following morning I didn't feel like I'd slept well with the bed being some-what short for a 6"1 tall guy like myself. Breakfast from 7am in helping yourself like a buffet breakfast, the breakfast very bland without much on other apart tea coffee juice cereal toast & jam, no offer of a cooked breakfast. Later I checked out & straight to the airport again using the free shuttle bus [best to book the time for the shuttle with the reception staff]..... I return back into Auckland Airport 14 days later during the late afternoon on Saturday 22/02/14 & went through the same system in calling the hotel for a transfer, this time I waited a good 25 minutes & the driver wasn't very welcoming & drove like a crazy man speeding & looking very annoyed & stressed. Same procedure on my 2nd visit at 7:30pm & at the desk giving my C/Card details, this time I'm given room 224 on the upper level, a repeat of the 07/02/14 & decide not to eat in the restaurant with no one inside eating without a Saturday evening atmosphere , just walked 10 minutes up the road finding a couple of restaurants with a better atmosphere, on returning to the hotel I had arranged a suitable time for my transfer on Sunday morning 23/02/14 [10am check-out time policy] and had to spend 4 hours at the airport before checking-in for my return flight to Sydney. I had paid for my first visit NZD $75.00 for the room with breakfast, on the 2nd visit paid NZD $85.00 with breakfast. Personally I may have had a better option if I'd looked around searching through the internet ??

Room Tip: If you haven't already paid upfront through the internet then make sure you view the room before...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Stephen N

Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for your precious time to comment on your experience with us.

Each and every hotels in world seek bond upon checking,which was well advised to you on your booking confirmation.

There are more Kiwi working for us, which I hope you might have overlooked.

I understand that you wanted to enjoy our premium room service upon booking economy room wherein unfortunately your request was not entertained by our staff.

I advise you to have a through check made for the room type and additional service before booking.

I hope your comments would be different if you had given Premium room at a economy room rate.

With Thanks

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed overnight prior to an early morning flight. I guess you get what you pay for - OK but nothing special. Value for money is OK. The room was fine - but some maintenance issues. The staff were efficient but with no warmth or personality. Dinner in the restaurant was a bit ordinary - out of oysters, out of cider, low on ice & "don't do coffee." We saw a very tempting steak at a nearby table so went for that, but ours was small & dry compared to the one we saw.
The staff are predominately Indian and there are several Indian dishes on the menu. In hindsight we may have been wiser to go for an Indian dish. Overall - a cost effective, convenient overnight pit stop.

Room Tip: Ground floor if you have luggage. There is no lift.

Dear Guest,
Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. There are a number of issues raised in your feedback that will help us improve as a property. I have passed on your recommendations and feedback to the relevant department heads to address.

Thanks for your time to comment on your recent stay.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed here twice during our new Zealand trip. Hotel is clean, basic and has free airport shuttle bus which is what you need. Simple breakfast but as a pit stop in between flights this place is fine and value for money.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest

Thanks for your precious time to comment on your recent stay with us.

We are glad to hear that you enjoy our product and service.

Please keep in touch and look forward to welcome back again on your next visit to Auckland

Auckland Kiwi Hotel