“The Best of the Best”
Review of Oakwood Manor

Oakwood Manor
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We pre booked here through Agoda.com for one night because of trip advisor, price, location and the free shuttle service.
This was the only booking, other than the return flight home, we made before leaving Australia.
We had decided that next morning my husband would take the shuttle to the airport and obtain a hire car, then return and pick me up from the motel. Warren – the Manager – queried him getting on the airport shuttle and suggested if he waited 20 minutes, Warren would organize one for half the price.
This he did plus spent a copious amount of time with our map suggesting outstanding places of interest and then negotiated and booked ahead two more nights accommodation at Paihia, gateway to the Bay of Isles, the Hole in the Rock and the original settlement of Russell. Not only was our Holiday starting to become extremely affordable because of Warrens negotiating, the generosity of this man in many ways was beginning to make us feel like we were with family.
My summary here is “We were amongst the best of the best in customer service, a team with a genuine love of their fellow man, brilliant advocates and ambassadors of the tourism industry, the country and the people of new Zealand. We were treated like loved and respected family by a generous, thoughtful and willing group of indigenous staff who love and respect their managers Warren & John who themselves exhibit the kindness, generous and most thoughtful qualities that mankind can aspire to.”
I might add that we had intended to stay one night here only – but over the eight days in the north island, we stayed here three nights.
Can you put a price on excellence, kindness & generosity?
Kindest Regards
Kathy and Lee
Broken Hill

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lee R

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I recently stayed here for two nights, at the beginning and end of a two week holiday in NZ. I had spent a lot of time on Trip Advisor reading reviews about various airport motels, and decided that this one didn't look too bad. I was very pleasantly surprised, in fact. The promised shuttle was prompt and free from any hassles, despite an unearthly arrival time after midnight from Australia. The room itself was very spacious, with a separate bedroom, dining/kitchen and roomy bathroom area with separate toilet and separate basin. It was all scrupulously clean. Sure, there were a couple of scuffs on the walls and the carpet was a bit patchy in places, but it was not shabby at all. I believe that money had been spent on new furniture, and the bed and pillows were luxurious and very comfortable, and despite facing onto the busy main road I had good sleeps both times. I would have liked a microwave in the kitchen, just to heat up some food I had brought with me for my final night, which I had to leave. I could have dined in the restaurant but found the prices a bit steep. Reception staff were friendly and efficient, especially the gentleman who owned the cute little elderly dog, Jack, with whom I fell in love... the dog, not the man, my first holiday snaps were of lovely little Jack! I would happily stay at this motel again - for an "airport motel" it was much better than others I have stayed at.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to traffic noise, there are plenty of rooms facing away from the street. I did...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Jane W
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My 5 stars is for the great hospitality and room. I stayed for one night in a 1 bedroom unit with my partner and 15 year old son on our return from overseas. It was more than we needed for an overnight stay - newly refurbished with full kitchen, sky tv, queen in room, two singles in lounge, no road noise as well back from road. Included in the tarriff - I was able to park and store my car for 8 days prior to staying; with very prompt transfers to and from the airport. Being part of the free calling booth was extremely handy just across from where we sat at Mc Donalds. Excellent value and again in my view well deserved.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Mem0ries101
Reviewed 18 May 2014

After booking this accommodation online, I was a bit apprehensive about what to expect, but our experience was great. From the friendly and efficient shuttle service and staff, the comfortable bed, and the lovely breakfast, we had a very pleasant stay. Will definitely recommend this place and have already booked to stay again in a few weeks time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris H
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The folks at Oakwood Manor were very friendly and helpful. We were in between two flights and just needed a place close to the airport. The room was clean and comfortable, and the shuttle was prompt and convenient.

Our warmest thanks to the friendly staff who responded kindly to every request.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank angelflinn
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We booked in as we had to be at the airport at 0800. Shuttle service was excellent. We had a 2 bedroom apartment which was clean and comfortable. Quiet room. Good value for money airport area. Nice to have a kitchen when traveling with kids.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Leanne M
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We had already spent a few days in Auckland CBD, before staying in Mangere for 2 nights, but I wouldn't recommend staying here if you are going to be heading to Auckland each day.

A friend and I stayed here 2 nights, because we needed to be near the airport.
It also helped that the hotel offered a free shuttle to/from the airport.
The hotel is maybe 2 star at best (the rooms were clean), but the service was 5 star. I wish I had written down her name, but the lady that checked us in the first day was super sweet and helpful. She nicely upgraded us to a room with 2 beds.

Like some of the other reviews mentioned, aside from the hotel restaurant, which we did not try, there is no place to eat near the hotel that is walking distance. We walked to the local grocery store/gas station and picked up a few snacks instead.

Overall, for the price and proximity to the airport, this is a good choice.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends