“Value For Money”

Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
NZ
“Value For Money”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Good value for money and every thing we needed. Clean and tidy,towles changed and beds made-even had the few dishes we had left done while we were out for the day. Room was clean and the only thing we would have to say as a negative was there was no Sky TV. We were also a little unsure what we would find. But have to say pleasntly surprised and would return.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 March 2013

we actually booked to stay twice in march in this motel. First is was a one day and second was a two-day stay.

When we checked in first day on 4:00pm we were surprised to be told that our credit card has been charged for one day already so we have no way to use cash to pay it. It looks like the owner is very cautious of the cancellation of the booking. Then we told the owner that we will be coming back two days later and stay again. The owner took the note that we will pay cash on the next arrival.

The room is obviously very large. The furniture are on average with full kitchenette. This would allow you to prepare for a simple breakfast if you buy things from super market. Unfortunately there was no kitchen tower so I have to go to the motel office to ask for it twice.

The fixtures quality needs a bit of attention. The screws from the shower handle was missing so it dropped very easily. I could see there are quite a number of dents on the stainless still bottom so it is obviously an issue that was not fixed for quite some time.

You would need to prepare your own shampoo and shower gel as the motel only provides a basic thing there.

On the second time check-in the owner gave us an upgrade to a bigger room which is much better than before. It was a weekend and there were not much booking so we were lucky.

There is a free wifi there. However the wifi AP is installed just on the top of the management office in the front. If your room is in the far end then your wifi signal would be very weak and slow.

The motel is close to the airport and offers free pick up to airport. However there is no supermarket or restaurant near by and you have to drive to the town to get them.

Room Tip: If you really care about Wifi ask for a room close to the front management office as Wifi AP is ther...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2013

This is a long, honest, but positive review:
I was very nervous booking a room at this motel due to the varying reviews I found online. I decided to take a chance and book a room for two nights. My husband and I arrived in the late afternoon after landing at the Auckland International Airport. We were very surprised by the exterior of the motel; however, we decided to not continue on and see what the interior of our room looked like rather than judging the "book by it's cover".
We checked in without any problem; received a WiFi Code (included in room price), and went up to our room.
Our room was large, tidy, and simple. The TV was huge! The kitchenette was well equipped with tea, coffee, sugar, milk, cups/saucers, and glasses. Plenty of space near the refrigerator and microwave to prepare simple snacks/drinks.
The bathroom was clean; no curtains on the window, but the glass was opaque/frosted to keep privacy. The shower was spacious but only had a small space for a bar of soap- the rest of my toiletries were left for the floor of the shower.
We had an issue (simple) with the water heater our first night- the water would only run cold. My husband went down to the office around 9pm to ask for assistance, and the owner promptly responded in person- fixed the issue with a smile!
The bed was incredibly comfortable. There wasn't an overhead fan, but a portable fan left on the floor for use. We left the windows open at night for a nice breeze. The area is quiet at night, however, it does get a bit loud around 6-8am. Easily muffled with the windows closed.
We had a great stay. I recommend this motel for anyone looking for a very (inexpensive) simple but clean place to sleep.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MCare
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We booked this hotel only on the basis of its affordability and proximity to the Auckland airport, the fact that there was a free ride from the airport even at 11pm and a free pickup from the rental car company. Were we surprised! The room was gigantic, actually THREE rooms, with a queen and two twin beds. There was a wide-screen TV, a dining table, a full kitchen with an electric stove, mini-fridge, microwave, toaster, coffee-maker, full-size cupboards, sink, pots and pans and dishes. The shower had a stainless steel floor (interesting). There was no blow dryer provided, and the bathroom had no plugs for one, but there were lots of other plugs in the room, as well as a portable fan and heater. Best of all, everything was absolutely spotless and meticulously maintained! If we hadn't been passing through, we might have enjoyed a second night.

Room Tip: The second floor can be reached by stairs only.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Decided to stay here for the last night of a family trip around North Island due to the proximity to Auckland airport & free morning shuttle to the terminal (as we had an early flight out). As I was traveling with my husband & his parents I booked us 2 separate double rooms via Agoda; the price seemed reasonable and I was soon to discover why...

On arrival we were told that "by mistake" we had been booked into one large "family unit" but assured it had 2 double bedrooms and we were offered a $30 refund if took the room. Having no choice (as apparently all other rooms were full) we accepted and were shown to an essentially one-bedroom apartment with a double bed in what should be the living area - not ideal for a family of adults who value their privacy and space.

The bathroom was so basic that there was not even soap provided, the shower screen did not fit the bath so the floor flooded and there was no bin. The kitchennette area (which of course also served as a bedroom / lounge) was not very clean, the fridge had clearly been switched off long ago and the door left shut and smelled mouldy, the ancient microwave was propped up at an awkward angle balanced on 2 large phone books (my father-in-law, a retired engineer, said "For God's sake nobody use that microwave or we'll all burn in our beds!") and in the communal area (which of course was also our bedroom) there were no bedside lights just a full-glare beam with the switch at the other side of the room by the door.

In the interests of fairness I will say this place was a lot cheaper than other options near the airport and I suppose we got what we paid for. Just be prepared for somewhere very basic if you decide to book here. Ultimately the sheets were clean, the beds comfortable, the water hot and we got a 630am ride to the airport without any fuss. However had I personally known what it would be like prior to booking I would have paid more for a better standard of accommodation.

Room Tip: Phone and send an email prior to your trip to make sure you are actually given the room(s) you have...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Maddi_In_Aus

Travellers are raving about these Mangere hotels

Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 February 2013

I am a kiwi and we stayed in this motor inn in January 2013 for 3 nights. This is the worst place I have ever stayed in.This is a long review but please read.
On arrival the amount we were paying was questioned. My sister and I had booked 2 rooms through laterooms.com at separate times. I was told that the owner wanted to speak with me regarding the amount quoted from laterooms.com but she was unavailable. I paid the amount I was given by laterooms which I received by email. I was asked to sign a eftpos slip and it was then that I found out they had taken money out of my debit plus card that morning without my permission.
The room I booked had 4 adults in one, one bedroom apartment and the room my sister booked had 2 adults and her 4 children 2 who were classed as adults in the other one bedroom apartment. At 10pm that night I was rung to go to reception immediately to talk to the owner. On arrival in reception the owner who was on the phone started to yell down the phone at me that the room costs were incorrect. I told her under no certain terms was this conversation going to happen and we would talk in the morning. I was feeling slightly bullied and annoyed at this stage.
I received another phone call at 11am asking me to go and see the owner. On arrival I encountered a very angry person who I assumed was the owner and the husband of the woman I had spoken to over the phone the night before. He then preceeded rather angrily to tell me that the amount given by laterooms was incorrect and that I had to pay an extra $90 and my sister had to pay an extra $180 for the 3 nights otherwise we would have to leave. At this stage I asked for a full refund but this was not forthcoming. He started yelling at me telling me the amount was incorrect and we had to pay the extra money. I showed him the terms and conditions I went by and that based on the amount given we had made the decision to stay at this motor inn. He would not accept this and wanted me to contact laterooms about the incorrect amount. I said he needed to contact laterooms if he had any issues.Once he calmed down a amicable conversation was had. I informed him of the late night phone call the night before. He then asked that if we could pay a small amount we could stay. We did seriously think about leaving but I decided on principle that we would stay.
Not a good experience at all.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Lillian A
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Our room was much bigger than we expected with double opening sliding doors to allow plenty of cool night airflow opening onto a personal balcony overlooking carpark. The kitchenette was well equipped and the bathroom was clean. Lovely shower with ample water pressure for quick shower- water flow was quite loud so quick was best so as not to disturb neighbours. The room had a queen bed and 2 singles with a massive 42inch tv. My daughter and I did not sleep in the bed as it was a balmy night so slept on top. I will probably stay here again as although it wasnt flashy it was clean and tidy and comfortable. The shuttle to the airport was on time and pleasant and helpful driver. Thank you

Room Tip: strip the room of sheets, pillow cases, mattress protectors to check for stains etc and to see if th...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family